Blue origin has landed

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2021, 08:31 AM
Default Blue origin has landed

Happy for Wally Funk.

Last edited by jbartle1; 07-20-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartle1 View Post
Happy for Wally Funk.
Isn't this an amazing day for this woman who is even older than me??? Wowser.

Wally Funk - Wikipedia
Old 07-20-2021, 08:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I agree, it's another historic day, first SpaceX, then Virgin, and now Bezos. Private space travel is starting, and that is fantastic! And all three companies are American!

We have been cooling our rockets all too long now.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Great accomplishments all.....just what we need in the current negative everything environment.

Demonstrating American technological prowess and leadership.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Great accomplishments all.....just what we need in the current negative everything environment.

Demonstrating American technological prowess and leadership.
What does NASA have online? Has it been left to the private sector now? For someone who, as a kid, was woken up that Summer in 1969 to see the US land a ship on the moon, it was heartbreaking when we started to pay Russia to send our astronauts to space.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
What does NASA have online? Has it been left to the private sector now? For someone who, as a kid, was woken up that Summer in 1969 to see the US land a ship on the moon, it was heartbreaking when we started to pay Russia to send our astronauts to space.
Well, sadly, I used to be a NASA fan, but a few things happened. First, they had a couple of accidents leading to the deaths of some astronauts, and that resulted in a major shift to 0 tolerance for danger - space is a dangerous place and getting there is still dangerous. This resulted in a massive slow down in progress.

Second, Boeing was awarded the SLS contract. And, well, Boeing is certainly not the Boeing of yesteryear. They seem to be having just one bad outcome after another lately in all their divisions. I am sure they are trying to get SLS done, but at times it just doesn't seem like it, it seems like they enjoy getting all the extensions and additional funding. SpaceX has accomplished more than Boeing in less time and with seriously less government funding.

At least that is my opinion.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:32 PM

Great News: Yuri Gagarin first human to journey into outer space in his capsule, Vostok 1 completed one orbit of Earth on 12 April 1961. It's great that American private enterprise has been able to advance to be able to send rockets with humans into space. But, the technology has been available since before 1961. So what is all the nonstop hoopla about sending a lesser journey 60 years later? Seems like these these Billionaires are mostly interested in shooting a rocket into space shaped like a phalanx to boost their self esteem. What are they compensating for with these huge displays?
Old 07-20-2021, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb993 View Post
Great News: Yuri Gagarin first human to journey into outer space in his capsule, Vostok 1 completed one orbit of Earth on 12 April 1961. It's great that American private enterprise has been able to advance to be able to send rockets with humans into space. But, the technology has been available since before 1961. So what is all the nonstop hoopla about sending a lesser journey 60 years later? Seems like these these Billionaires are mostly interested in shooting a rocket into space shaped like a phalanx to boost their self esteem. What are they compensating for with these huge displays?
Well, yes, and there were computers in 1961, what's the big deal about laptops?

There are a LOT of things to be excited about. Cost per lb of payload is plummeting. Safety of the flight is getting constantly better.

Here is a list of what happened in 1961:

First 1 January
Last 22 December
Total 50

Successes 28
Failures 20
Partial failures 2

So a little better than 50% success rate. I expect not even silly billionaires would pay to ride on one of those.

SpaceX has 1,500 satellites in orbit in just a couple years - now the largest satellite fleet in space, larger than any country. In a few more years they will have 14,000 satellites in space.

SpaceX is a big part of the countries plan to permanently return to the moon with a base, and then to Mars with another permanent base.

Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic are going to be participating in those activities.

SpaceX has had over 100 successful launches, 15 so far this year with 9 in the last 3 weeks.

So, I could say, what's the big deal, Wright Brothers flew in 1903, why all the excitement about Airlines?

The phallic resemblance is funny.

That has been said about every rocket since the V2. Neckties have been a symbol of make dominance for a LONG time and were compares to phallic symbols. Seriously, even the make forefinger has been used by children since before I was a child as a symbol of a *****. Is this really a comment on a senior forum today? I expect the symbology has more to do with the prople seeing it that Musk or Bezos spending billions to build one.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I agree, it's another historic day, first SpaceX, then Virgin, and now Bezos. Private space travel is starting, and that is fantastic! And all three companies are American!

We have been cooling our rockets all too long now.
Good thoughts.

I've often wondered why it has taken private enterprise so long to start doing stuff in space in any meaningful way. Of course private enterprise has always manufactured the hardware but the planning and specifications have always been left up to the government.

And I've never seen anything done by any government agency, that private enterprise couldn't do faster, better, safer and cheaper.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,038 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Good thoughts.

I've often wondered why it has taken private enterprise so long to start doing stuff in space in any meaningful way. Of course private enterprise has always manufactured the hardware but the planning and specifications have always been left up to the government.

And I've never seen anything done by any government agency, that private enterprise couldn't do faster, better, safer and cheaper.
Very well said
Old 07-20-2021, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Good thoughts.

Atomic bomb?
Old 07-20-2021, 02:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Good thoughts.

Well, I disagree, but enough said about the government. This is a day for private industry to be proud of.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb993 View Post
Seems like these these Billionaires are mostly interested in shooting a rocket into space shaped like a phalanx to boost their self esteem. What are they compensating for with these huge displays?
Shaped like a toe bone?

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 07-20-2021, 09:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I'm an Amazon customer, not Prime. But I find Bezos (although a genius for what he accomplished with Amazon) a self-centered rich-beyond-belief nutjob. During his post-flight speech today>>>>

In a surprise at the end of a media conference following his successful trip to sub-orbital space, the Amazon and Blue Origin founder unveiled his new "Courage and Civility Award," which he said "recognizes leaders who aim high and who pursue solutions with courage and who always do so with civility." Recipients receive $100 million to give away to charities or non-profits of their choice, and Bezos said awardees may direct all the funds to their own non-profits or "spread the wealth" to other organizations.

The move came minutes after his backlash-drawing comments that he wanted "to thank every Amazon employee and every Amazon customer because you guys paid for all this. So seriously, for every Amazon customer out there, and every Amazon employee, thank you from the bottom of my heart, very much." Some hit back at him on Twitter, demanding a "refund."

full article>>>

Jeff Bezos giving $100 million to Jose Andres, Van Jones after Blue Origin rocket flight | Fox Business
Old 07-20-2021, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartle1 View Post
Happy for Wally Funk.
Happy for her but think whole thing was a waste of time and money. They could have rode a rollercoaster at six flags and had as much fun. Boring zzzzzzzz
Closed Thread

Tags
blue, moon, landed, happy, wally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.