Blue origin has landed

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2021, 03:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I believe you are talking in absolutes. I did not say that we have a BAD gov. I said that private industry does a better job in BUSINESS than the gov.
Saying, "private industry does a better job in BUSINES than the Gov" is an absolute.

Other than SpaceX please point out an industry that is better that has a significant impact on citizens' lives. I will start with a negative. The healthcare system has descended from 1 place in the world to 17th place in the world while charging us 2 to 3 times as many countries with government-provided single-payer healthcare systems.

SpaceX is an excellent example of a positive, but the good it does to citizens is very indirect but coming (internet, etc). Bezo's Blue Origin provides entertainment for the rich, that is about all I can see. But, I guess everyone needs to be entertained.

I agree completely that there are many areas of our government that are highly inefficient (Boeing sucking on the government tit is one) But, rather than tear it all down, I suggest we fix the government by firing all the politicians owns by the big companies that are destroying our country - fossil fuels, healthcare/big pharma, big food, etc.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartle1 View Post
When government spends, NASA employees receive salaries, infrastructure is improved, etc., etc., and life goes on.
Yeah, and one politician says that welfare boosts the economy. Sure.......
Where do you think that the gov gets the money that that they are so generous with? It's not from profit and it is not from producing a product. It's money taken by force from American citizens. Without private industry, there would be NO economy, period.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:17 AM

This thread began as a commentary on Wally Funk's accomplishments but quickly turned to a political disagreement. I have a much easier question for any experts in the Villages and beyond. Other than "space tourism" for the ultra wealthy, where is this private flight endeavour going? Is there any practical purpose to sending rockets/space vehicles into space and back or are these flights purely for entertainment purposes? To me, these launches are exact duplicates of Yuri Gagarin and Alan Shepard. Straight up and straight back.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH7SS View Post
This thread began as a commentary on Wally Funk's accomplishments but quickly turned to a political disagreement. I have a much easier question for any experts in the Villages and beyond. Other than "space tourism" for the ultra wealthy, where is this private flight endeavour going? Is there any practical purpose to sending rockets/space vehicles into space and back or are these flights purely for entertainment purposes? To me, these launches are exact duplicates of Yuri Gagarin and Alan Shepard. Straight up and straight back.
Hey, if the rich wish to "burn money" (pun?) by a new form of entertainment, bully for them. The more they spend the better for everyone else. I am sure that the "GREEN" folks will complain about air pollution, though.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Hey, if the rich wish to "burn money" (pun?) by a new form of entertainment, bully for them. The more they spend the better for everyone else. I am sure that the "GREEN" folks will complain about air pollution, though.
I agree completely. Who spends and how much they spend is fine with me. I'm just wondering if there is a practical purpose down the road or are these flights purely for entertainment.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH7SS View Post
I agree completely. Who spends and how much they spend is fine with me. I'm just wondering if there is a practical purpose down the road or are these flights purely for entertainment.
Only the future will tell.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:03 PM
John41

Happy for Wally. These rockets will be reusable bringing down the cost. In the future they will carry a payload as well as space tourists.
Closed Thread

Tags
blue, moon, landed, happy, wally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.