BOBCAT! - Chasing a Rabbit in our yard!!

BOBCAT! - Chasing a Rabbit in our yard!!

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,887
Thanks: 167
Thanked 118 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Where is Marlin Perkins when you need him? Hippo - YouTube Great Job with the pictures Tom. We only have Snakes, Frogs & Foxes in my neck of the woods. Oh yeah and Love Bugs. We have birds that walk thru our yard each day between 3 & 5 PM almost every day and are colorful and majestic and are not afraid of us at all. We found out that a neighbor has been feeding them for years. Sand Hill Cranes I believe and the Little White Birds with Very Short Orange Peckers. It's an accurate description and I'm gonna stand by it not resemble it!
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 09-15-2019, 07:34 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 39,807
Thanks: 185
Thanked 115 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
A few months ago, I talked to the woman who was close friends of the lady whose Manx cat was taken back then by the bobcat. It was about a 15 year old cat. Very slow. The woman in question had a number of younger Manx cats that got away from the bobcat.

I will ask her to look at this thread. I know the address of house she pointed out where the cat lived but will not post that online.
The house where one of the cats got snatched off the lanai was on Saluda Street in Lynnhaven. The lanai faces Churchill Downs. I am not sure where the other cat was lost to a bobcat in Ashland. My nurse friend was aware about that and had only heard about the Saluda Street cat taking. This is a different nurse friend than the one from Doggie Doo Run Run. This one is from NYC; the Doggie Doo Run Run one is from Louisville, KY.

I had heard about this from a dozen people or more who know the Saluda Street cat owners.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-15-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #13  
Old 09-15-2019, 08:23 AM
Chi-Town's Avatar
Chi-Town Chi-Town is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
A few months ago, I talked to the woman who was close friends of the lady whose Manx cat was taken back then by the bobcat. It was about a 15 year old cat. Very slow. The woman in question had a number of younger Manx cats that got away from the bobcat.

I will ask her to look at this thread. I know the address of house she pointed out where the cat lived but will not post that online.
Let me get this straight. A woman had a number of cats on her lanai. A bobcat ripped open the screen, entered the lanai, and carried off the slow old one. The younger faster cats escaped.


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-15-2019, 08:29 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 39,807
Thanks: 185
Thanked 115 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Let me get this straight. A woman had a number of cats on her lanai. A bobcat ripped open the screen, entered the lanai, and carried off the slow old one. The younger faster cats escaped.


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
They went back into the house. The carcass of the dead cat was found a few doors down along with tracks of a bobcat outside the Saluda home owners' lanai.

Something similar had happened in Ashland about the same time.

They did not take this to the newspaper that I know of anyway. Even if The Villages Daily Sun would often get facts wrong.

You seem to be the same poster I have been problems with for years about this story.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-15-2019, 08:49 AM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,125
Thanks: 5
Thanked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Last Wednesday I had a landscaper trimming my Sylvester Palm, when my neighbor Dick Maple came over to tell me he was just trimming his Sylvester that morning when he saw two orange eyes looking at him in the tree. We live in CYV's in Tamarind Grove off St. Charles. He thought, it must be a rat and then he realized the eyes were too far apart. He cut a couple of more fonds and a bobcat fell out of the tree. He came down off his ladder and the bobcat was cornered next to the villa wall and his birdcage. It started hissing at him, so he backed off and the cat climbed the wall and took off.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 39,807
Thanks: 185
Thanked 115 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Last Wednesday I had a landscaper trimming my Sylvester Palm, when my neighbor Dick Maple came over to tell me he was just trimming his Sylvester that morning when he saw two orange eyes looking at him in the tree. We live in CYV's in Tamarind Grove off St. Charles. He thought, it must be a rat and then he realized the eyes were too far apart. He cut a couple of more fonds and a bobcat fell out of the tree. He came down off his ladder and the bobcat was cornered next to the villa wall and his birdcage. It started hissing at him, so he backed off and the cat climbed the wall and took off.
I have never seen a bobcat here in the Villages but they sure seem to be around. Us dog owners talk a lot about them when we hear one got something in our own neighborhoods. And that would be a very hard thing for a pet owner to keep talking about to other people.

I have seen six coyotes here in the Villages at different times of the day. One even at 3:00 PM going towards Belmont Golf Course. Belmont Golf Course - The Villages, FL, United States | SwingU

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-15-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-15-2019, 10:26 AM
Chi-Town's Avatar
Chi-Town Chi-Town is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
They went back into the house. The carcass of the dead cat was found a few doors down along with tracks of a bobcat outside the Saluda home owners' lanai.

Something similar had happened in Ashland about the same time.

They did not take this to the newspaper that I know of anyway. Even if The Villages Daily Sun would often get facts wrong.

You seem to be the same poster I have been problems with for years about this story.
No, no problem. Just entertained about how the story has evolved over the years.

I saw a bobcat while heading to the tee on hole 9 at Heron. It was travelling along the treeline. Dissapeared before i could take a picture. But here's a photo that a fellow golfer took at Saddlebrook.

The Villages Florida

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-15-2019, 01:40 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 8,949
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Very Tom C!
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-16-2019, 09:26 AM
Brenda.ball's Avatar
Brenda.ball Brenda.ball is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Murfreesboro, TN and The Village of Fenney
Posts: 113
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Awesome photos of nature in action!
__________________
"...achieving a dream is about more than just what you accomplish. Its about who you become in the process." ~John C. Maxwell
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-16-2019, 04:05 PM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,125
Thanks: 5
Thanked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Here's a photo of a Bobcat from the Villages Online Newspaper taken in 2018 running down the 9th fairway of Egret at Evans Prairie Golf Course. At first many thought this was a Florida Panther, but the experts say it's a Bobcat.

The Villages Florida

Here's a Florida Panther taken east of Gainesville captured by a motion sensor camera chasing a wild hog. Residents around Heron Executive have complained in the past about wild hogs and usually reports of a Florida Panther will happen about the same time.

The Villages Florida
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John_W For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
bobcat, rabbit, back, photo, yard

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.