Bobcat visited the Duck nest

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Default Bobcat visited the Duck nest

We live in The Village of Osceola Hills near the junction of Deskin Lane and Zephyrhills Road. We have had a duck nest under our Robilini Palm and Lantana plants in the landscaping behind our lanai. We noticed the nest on Tuesday. A momma duck was sitting on the desk and was scared out when the lawn mower went by. We saw the nest and there were at least 8 eggs in the nest. We minimized our activities so the momma could continue to sit on the nest. We hoped to see the little ducklings when they hatched.

Well, this morning my wife noticed a large cat sitting under the Robilini Palm. We opened the slider to the lanai and the cat took off. It had a short tail, was the largest cat we had ever seen. Its color pattern was that of a bobcat. Momma duck was nowhere to be seen. No sign of its remains, so maybe it got away. Most of the eggs in the nest had been broken.

This afternoon we noticed the cat had returned. This time we got a good look at it as we scared it away. It was definitely a bobcat. Beware of your small pets. Mother Nature can be cruel at times.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
We live in The Village of Osceola Hills near the junction of Deskin Lane and Zephyrhills Road. We have had a duck nest under our Robilini Palm and Lantana plants in the landscaping behind our lanai. We noticed the nest on Tuesday. A momma duck was sitting on the desk and was scared out when the lawn mower went by. We saw the nest and there were at least 8 eggs in the nest. We minimized our activities so the momma could continue to sit on the nest. We hoped to see the little ducklings when they hatched.

Well, this morning my wife noticed a large cat sitting under the Robilini Palm. We opened the slider to the lanai and the cat took off. It had a short tail, was the largest cat we had ever seen. Its color pattern was that of a bobcat. Momma duck was nowhere to be seen. No sign of its remains, so maybe it got away. Most of the eggs in the nest had been broken.

This afternoon we noticed the cat had returned. This time we got a good look at it as we scared it away. It was definitely a bobcat. Beware of your small pets. Mother Nature can be cruel at times.
A classic predator and prey tale. A nature event (unlike the duck getting blown out of the sky during hunting season). But I guess both are needed to keep a population in balance.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Just my thoughts one Bob Cat disrupts life cycle of nesting duck instant villages news I would be upset also
Developer disrupts a whole Symbiotic Eco system gets kudos
Old 03-08-2020, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Just my thoughts one Bob Cat disrupts life cycle of nesting duck instant villages news I would be upset also
Developer disrupts a whole Symbiotic Eco system gets kudos
True, but remember that the Bobcat does not create your home and lifestyle opportunity’s, developer does.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
True, but remember that the Bobcat does not create your home and lifestyle opportunity’s, developer does.
Mother nature pays the toll for our pleasures
Old 03-08-2020, 09:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
You didn't seem to mind when you purchased your home.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 03-09-2020, 07:20 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

having trouble balancing man - vs duck - vs bobcat,,, personally we prefer kubota over bobcat but can unders,,, wait - you mean the 4legg'd bobcat or the bobcat on tracks ? lemme re-read,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, think i got it now - bobcat had duck for lunch,,, smart choice - low in calories, high in protein
Old 03-09-2020, 07:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
You didn't seem to mind when you purchased your home.
Quote:
100% guilty no doubt my actions have contributed to demise of Eco system
Old 03-09-2020, 07:33 AM

Circle of life.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:29 AM

There are bobcats in that area. I have seen two bobcats on Belle Glade over the past 4 years. One large male and one small yearling. There are lots of rodents and birds in the area that serves as their food source. Nature can be cruel, but that is the nature of nature.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanst View Post
There are bobcats in that area. I have seen two bobcats on Belle Glade over the past 4 years. One large male and one small yearling. There are lots of rodents and birds in the area that serves as their food source. Nature can be cruel, but that is the nature of nature.
Not to mention Cougars at the Squares Katie Bells and City Fire
Old 03-10-2020, 07:31 AM

We are part of nature too.
Closed Thread

Tags
nest, duck, cat, noticed, bobcat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.