Bogie, Gracie, BTK, Tal, 2BNTV, John W, other long time posters question.

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Some of you will remember when prior to about 2014, TOTVers got together once a month at Crispers in Southern Trace. Smaller group back then but those get togethers were fun and gave us a chance to actually meet and put a face to a username. Harder to insult people you have actually gotten to know.
OMG,YES! something happens to a person when they get behind a keyboard. some feel it's free reign to insult, degrade & deride without concern, & dominate areas where they normally wouldn't do so in real life. when you see an actual face & person, things are softened a bit; direct conversation is more polite, & people are aware of other's comments & concerns. it's also easier to recognize sarcasm, or a wink & nod while story-telling. social media can be good, or very bad
Old 11-28-2020, 03:27 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Crispers meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I really enjoyed those get togethers when I could attend, it was fun meeting some of the other posters.
I agree. I was able to attend a few of those informal meetings at Crispers and it was great to see and talk with the “real” person behind the anonymous handle.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Some of you will remember when prior to about 2014, TOTVers got together once a month at Crispers in Southern Trace. Smaller group back then but those get togethers were fun and gave us a chance to actually meet and put a face to a username. Harder to insult people you have actually gotten to know.
I lived here in 2014 but didn't know about the Crispers get togethers. I would have liked that. Crispers was right around the corner from me.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have and will continue to avoid discussions that go off topic. As you may have noticed I tend to try and be a problem solver, something I have been most of my life, and to provide help to others. I deliberately avoid getting involved with personal opinions unless they are with a specific service, product, or item that I have actually used. As long as i can continue to do that you will find me on this site, as I enjoy what I do, and I believe others do also.
Have a great day, VT member since 2013.

You have always been very helpful on many, many topics. I, for one, appreciate you.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Not trying to be negative or controversial, but just curious. Does it seem to you that their are far fewer posts that are interesting or entertaining on TOTV than there used to be several years ago? Maybe it is because I have been on here so long that I’ve seen most things that people have questions or interest about. Maybe it is because I’m less interested in what happens in TV than I used to be. Whatever it is I just don’t find as much that interests me on the forum as I once did. Just curious if you find the same or if you disagree.
Hey Ed:

I agree!!!

I believe I joined TOTV way before I moved here in 2013. Back then, I had many questions that needed to be answered and the replies were very friendly. I don't feel that need at the present time so I am rarely on TOTV. In addition to, many posters like to be negative. It hardly seems to be worth the effort.

It use to be people made friends on TOTV and were invited into other people's homes for get togethers. There was the meeting at Crispers, that people could put a face to a persons handle. My impression is that most posters don't seem want to get together and just want to state their point of view behind their keyboards..

I rarely come on here anymore as I have been attacked to the point that I lost interest. I have always found that many posters don't ask themselves, "how would i feel if someone talked to me that way"? Too much in a rush with their self importance.IMHO

The moderators do their best to keep conversation civil but some people feel they don't want to be filtered. They feel their point of view is the only point of view. I've always felt most people "don't agree to disagree respectfully". It doesn't cost anything to be nice.

Some people have said there is a posse that put down other people because they love TV and don't want to hear any dissenting opinions. Their was a thread many years ago about, "marginalizing one's point of view".

I think TOTV has not changed in many years nor do I see much hope of it ever changing,.
Therefore I come on once in a blue moon. At this point there is very little I need to know about TV.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 11-28-2020 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Hey Ed:

I agree!!!

I believe I joined TOTV way before I moved here in 2013. Back then, I had many questions that needed to be answered and the replies were very friendly. I don't feel that need at the present time so I am rarely on TOTV. In addition to, many posters like to be negative. It hardly seems to be worth the effort.

It use to be people made friends on TOTV and were invited into other people's homes for get togethers. There was the meeting at Crispers, that people could put a face to a persons handle. My impression is that most posters don't seem want to get together and just want to state their point of view behind their keyboards..

I rarely come on here anymore as I have been attacked to the point that I lost interest. I have always found that many posters don't ask themselves, "how would i feel if someone talked to me that way"? Too much in a rush with their self importance.IMHO

The moderators do their best to keep conversation civil but some people feel they don't want to be filtered. They feel their point of view is the only point of view. I've always felt most people "don't agree to disagree respectfully". It doesn't cost anything to be nice.

Some people have said there is a posse that put down other people because they love TV and don't want to hear any dissenting opinions. Their was a thread many years ago about, "marginalizing one's point of view".

I think TOTV has not changed in many years nor do I see much hope of it ever changing,.
Therefore I come on once in a blue moon. At this point there is very little I need to know about TV.
Joe, You were and are, one of the nicest people, and posters, I know and anyone who “attacked” you would have had to be a mean-spirited bully. If someone like you has tired of the board it justifies my original point, that it just doesn’t seem the same as it once was. I continue to check in and post occasionally but not with the same enthusiasm I once did, and I kind of miss that.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:21 PM
Veteran member

I'm new. I don't think you can judge this forum or any one specific place based on the past 6 months or so. Most people move to TV for the wide range of amenities, the active lifestyle and the opportunity to make new friends. That's probably the case for most retirement communities. TV (and the rest of the country) is now under restrictions, whether you agree with them or not, that we have never seen in place before and that we have never had to deal with before. It's new territory and it has people concerned. I wasn't on this forum pre-pandemic so I don't know what it was like before. But I will guess that things like dancing in the squares, eating at restaurants, live music, golfing or club gatherings were never viewed as remotely controversial until now. Things that were once taken for granted as a certainty are now not so certain. Hopefully, things will be able to return to normal soon. But until that happens I think the same circular debates will continue.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Donna was one of the posters on TOTV who was often present during the Crisper's get togethers. She passed a while back though. Her and Kathie were close friends and Donna lived a few doors south of me here in Lynnhaven.

She was big into ghost stories and the paranormal. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...rs/donna-5624/

There have been a number of other posters who passed who gave us a lot of interesting information.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:34 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
I went to a lot of those.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:44 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

When I 1st came to TVs in Jan. 2013 I started w/TOTV. With this group I learned sooooo much about how great TVs will be for me and my family. Since that 1st day I look forward to every morning with my friends.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I went to a lot of those.
Actually three. One I wasn't there. It was near the end of Crispers.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Actually three. One I wasn't there. It was near the end of Crispers.
Those were really fun times to be a TOTVer.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Unhappy

Quote:
Not trying to be negative or controversial, but just curious. Does it seem to you that their are far fewer posts that are interesting or entertaining on TOTV than there used to be several years ago? Maybe it is because I have been on here so long that I’ve seen most things that people have questions or interest about. Maybe it is because I’m less interested in what happens in TV than I used to be. Whatever it is I just don’t find as much that interests me on the forum as I once did. Just curious if you find the same or if you disagree.
I am posting this before I read any other responses. I have been on here like 7 or 8 years, and YES, things have changed for the worse. I used to come on every day, and now there is such negativity I barely come on, maybe once a week or when I have a specific question. The only thing worse is Facebook with its "fact checking", now that is a total joke... at least they don't insult us like that here.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 11-30-2020, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

When we moved in about 5 years ago and went to Crispers for the first time we were met by a gang of people I felt I knew already. What a wonderful get together it was. I will never forget the warm reception we received from so many valued friends that we still have today.

Villagetinker tried to put a similar meeting together some time back and the thread as an example of what the subject is here turned into a nasty give and take. A real shame.

I have been guilty at certain points about being one of those who were on the attack but hardly knew I was doing it. I had a chip on my shoulder. It was pointed out by a dear friend privately. After consideration, I have stopped acting like that. We really have it made and there is no reason for me to act that way. The Culture of the Forum has changed but has also been improved by the layoff of a few members by the Moderators. I'm hopeful things will change for the better once we get through the disaster we have been living through.

I came here to be happy and that is what it's gonna be for me and my wife. I wish you all well!
Closed Thread

Tags
curious, find, long, bogie, questions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.