Bogie, Gracie, BTK, Tal, 2BNTV, John W, other long time posters question.

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2020, 05:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I find it much better now than back a few years. Back then there was a posey that would gang up on individuals that had different opinions. The monitors of today do not play favorites and will delete harsh posts from old timers and new folks equally. A few years ago, high count posters had power, today, it’s fair and balanced. Thanks to the moderators and thanks to the old timers that have stepped up to follow the rules of this site.
There used to be a group that called themselves a 'posse' that always had comments to keep posters under their way of thinking.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Not trying to be negative or controversial, but just curious. Does it seem to you that their are far fewer posts that are interesting or entertaining on TOTV than there used to be several years ago? Maybe it is because I have been on here so long that I’ve seen most things that people have questions or interest about. Maybe it is because I’m less interested in what happens in TV than I used to be. Whatever it is I just don’t find as much that interests me on the forum as I once did. Just curious if you find the same or if you disagree.
It could be that many of the older posters, such as me, have reached a point where TOTV is no longer relevant to our interests. Plus, the polarization of the past four years has been a strain and I, for one, have found other interests. I still check in early every morning, but rarely offer a comment.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
There used to be a group that called themselves a 'posse' that always had comments to keep posters under their way of thinking.
If you speak of the group that used to be summoned at time by another poster to "swing" the conversation, then some still exist. My wife was verbally assaulted by that group, simply because she was my wife.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
It could be that many of the older posters, such as me, have reached a point where TOTV is no longer relevant to our interests. Plus, the polarization of the past four years has been a strain and I, for one, have found other interests. I still check in early every morning, but rarely offer a comment.
The last years have changed me in ways I never thought possible, but then again, I never thought anything like the last four years could happen in my country.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I suggest everyone, if they haven't already, watch "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix. It will open your eye to online discourse and participation on sites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.

TOTV sometimes has a hair trigger and is quick to pull it on minor "political" comments. But all in all, I would much rather have discussions about life here, good restaurants, events, etc, than name calling.
It was a terrific documentary.

I started a thread on that....

The Social Dilemma on Netflix

Some posts have been deleted or modified, but it quickly turned into trashing me for knowing nothing of what I spoke, and the media.

But as regards that doc, watch it if you can, and note, your mind can be "played with" by an onslaught of disinformation.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Look at society in general.
Whole groups of the population waiting to be offended.
Consequently you finish up with nanny type moderation.
Therefore nothing with a subject to get your teeth into gets very far.
It's a shame.
You hit the nail on the head. We can’t delve into anything with any degree of controversy without some not wanting others to get offended.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
And you also read my mind ? Incredible.

To one of the points being made.....over the past years, everything in our society has been made a part of the political climate from football to rap music and beyond.

Not about infrastructure, or actually anything to do with actual government.
I thought this thread was talking about the changes in this forum. How come it got changed into a discussion about our country, society and government? That's commonly called a thread hijack..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 11-27-2020, 08:23 PM

I originally moved to the Villages in 2000 didn't join till 09 and have watched this thread very quickly go from a simple question to what it has become in 2020. e Everyone now has become so not nice so quickly.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I thought this thread was talking about the changes in this forum. How come it got changed into a discussion about our country, society and government? That's commonly called a thread hijack..
Agree....
Old 11-27-2020, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have and will continue to avoid discussions that go off topic. As you may have noticed I tend to try and be a problem solver, something I have been most of my life, and to provide help to others. I deliberately avoid getting involved with personal opinions unless they are with a specific service, product, or item that I have actually used. As long as i can continue to do that you will find me on this site, as I enjoy what I do, and I believe others do also.
Have a great day, VT member since 2013.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have and will continue to avoid discussions that go off topic. As you may have noticed I tend to try and be a problem solver, something I have been most of my life, and to provide help to others. I deliberately avoid getting involved with personal opinions unless they are with a specific service, product, or item that I have actually used. As long as i can continue to do that you will find me on this site, as I enjoy what I do, and I believe others do also.
Problem solver? Got you work cut on here
Old 11-27-2020, 10:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
And that’s what makes you my favorite TOTV poster, always trying to help others solve problems. Many people, including myself, need to take note of your rule about keeping on topic. Thanks and have a great day.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:07 AM
Veteran member

I'm reading posts about how people are glad this person or that person is not around or posting anymore, and I'm appalled. How hurtful that must be for the person to be publicly attacked. That is one of the reasons I rarely post anymore, because of the snakiness and meanness I see on some of these threads.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Funny how it it is always the 'other' person, or anyone who disagrees with a post, who is the troublemaker, the one turning the thread off subject, or political!

"My way or the highway" rules!
Old 11-28-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Not trying to be negative or controversial, but just curious. Does it seem to you that their are far fewer posts that are interesting or entertaining on TOTV than there used to be several years ago? Maybe it is because I have been on here so long that I’ve seen most things that people have questions or interest about. Maybe it is because I’m less interested in what happens in TV than I used to be. Whatever it is I just don’t find as much that interests me on the forum as I once did. Just curious if you find the same or if you disagree.
Well so far since we have moved here this past year and I’ve joined, I would say masks and CCP (communist Chinese plague) has pretty much been the choice of discussion...over and over and over....yeah not very interesting
Closed Thread

Tags
curious, find, long, bogie, questions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.