Bogie, Gracie, BTK, Tal, 2BNTV, John W, other long time posters question.

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2020, 06:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have and will continue to avoid discussions that go off topic. As you may have noticed I tend to try and be a problem solver, something I have been most of my life, and to provide help to others. I deliberately avoid getting involved with personal opinions unless they are with a specific service, product, or item that I have actually used. As long as i can continue to do that you will find me on this site, as I enjoy what I do, and I believe others do also.
Have a great day, VT member since 2013.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

Disagree
Old 11-28-2020, 07:01 AM

I am new in TV and have been reading TOTV for about one month. I have no knowledge of how it used to in the good old days, but I am certainly enjoying it today. I skip the posts that get political in nature; never in the history of social media has someone changed their political point of view based on another’s post. I particularly enjoy the silly statements that spawn hilarious responses. Please don’t stop posting. This is free entertainment.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Not trying to be negative or controversial, but just curious. Does it seem to you that their are far fewer posts that are interesting or entertaining on TOTV than there used to be several years ago? Maybe it is because I have been on here so long that I’ve seen most things that people have questions or interest about. Maybe it is because I’m less interested in what happens in TV than I used to be. Whatever it is I just don’t find as much that interests me on the forum as I once did. Just curious if you find the same or if you disagree.
Perhaps the reason is that in eleven years, you have only thanked posters 47 times. They have given up trying to win your praise. (Grinning) Writing thoughtful, interesting responses to questions and comments takes time and effort, and the only payment is thanks from grateful readers.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:44 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Look at society in general.
Whole groups of the population waiting to be offended.
Consequently you finish up with nanny type moderation.
Therefore nothing with a subject to get your teeth into gets very far.
It's a shame.
True. Nowadays everyone finds something to be offended by. What happened to the generation??
Old 11-28-2020, 07:49 AM

They only let you discuss what suits them. Boring. I barely come here to read anything.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Not trying to be negative or controversial, but just curious. Does it seem to you that their are far fewer posts that are interesting or entertaining on TOTV than there used to be several years ago? Maybe it is because I have been on here so long that I’ve seen most things that people have questions or interest about. Maybe it is because I’m less interested in what happens in TV than I used to be. Whatever it is I just don’t find as much that interests me on the forum as I once did. Just curious if you find the same or if you disagree.
Absolutely
Old 11-28-2020, 08:11 AM

I have been lurking for quite some time as I hope to be there soon. I am trying to gather as much info as possible so I don't miss anything. With the exception of a few people like villagetinker it has become mostly just a bitch seesion. Really not much usefull info being discussed. Just my 2 cents. See you soon!
Old 11-28-2020, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

Somewhat off topic but have others here been permanently stopped from commenting on thevillagesnews.com? I have never written anything that has been censored in any way but I cannot comment anymore. I have noticed WAY less comments from others so are they stopping people from commenting? Are they only letting paid members comment? What is going on? Also just in the last few days I cannot even access the additional comments section to continue looking at more comments. Any info on this??
Old 11-28-2020, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
Somewhat off topic but have others here been permanently stopped from commenting on thevillagesnews.com? I have never written anything that has been censored in any way but I cannot comment anymore. I have noticed WAY less comments from others so are they stopping people from commenting? Are they only letting paid members comment? What is going on? Also just in the last few days I cannot even access the additional comments section to continue looking at more comments. Any info on this??
Really way off topic.
Who really cares what happens on that rags site..........
Old 11-28-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post

That site is so slow and clunky to navigate, due to all the peripheral "stuff" loading.

It started going that way a while ago, when it upgraded to its present format.

Think most of the comments, if you actually are able to navigate that far, are from students in local schools, and the remainder from psychiatric homes.
Some of the local Karens vent as well.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
I think part of what’s happened is when new posters come on and ask a question they are met with snarky, smart ass responses. People, in general on this forum aren’t kind any more. An OP is asks a question or is giving their account of what happened, or their experience, and the responder answers with a question.......ie....our experience at such and such place wasn’t good. Responder.....did you talk to a manager, did you send the food back? A lot of times people come on this forum to vent or to save others from having a bad experience. They don’t want to be met with controversy. An OP comes on this forum to get advice, recommendations or to share their experience. If we could get back to answering their questions with kind responses and having a little sympathy when they have a bad experience, more people would stay on here. It has been my experience that when I post, I get nasty remarks, so I stopped posting. This forum is what you make it and it’s been turned into a battle ground! Let the battle begin!
Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 AM
Platinum member
Default Burnout

Quote:
not trying to be negative or controversial, but just curious. Does it seem to you that their are far fewer posts that are interesting or entertaining on totv than there used to be several years ago? Maybe it is because i have been on here so long that i’ve seen most things that people have questions or interest about. Maybe it is because i’m less interested in what happens in tv than i used to be. Whatever it is i just don’t find as much that interests me on the forum as i once did. Just curious if you find the same or if you disagree.
there was a popular saying that newspapers and news shows were the same stories just different dates.
Why would this forum be any different?
People come here with problems and solutions.
Some come for entertainment and to be a little less lonely.
Whatever the case a great movie starring olivia de havilland, 1946 best actress, comes to mind.
"to each his own"
Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 AM
Sage

I've been a member of this site for a number of years. I would say most social media "conversations" in the past year or so have become not so interesting anymore. People seem to be nastier and the content of the "conversations" is the same. There are way too many who criticize and complain and it just feeds on one another, It's like the "same song, different verse" over and over and over again. I mostly use social media (ie FB and insta.) to be in touch with family and friends. I use this site for information, locally---and mostly just for something to do. I'm not on here very much anymore....generally come by 1st thing in the morning if there seems to be something of interest. I don't read every post and ALL the 'conversations'. As someone else said too---the moderators don't seem as vigilant as they once were. Maybe the sites gotten too big.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

While it has always been present, it seems like patience, tolerance, respect for differing positions/opinions is challenged more often.

Most likely the reality of some of us aging and the increasing presence of newer (younger) members.

There is a need for an ability to discuss so much of what is going on in the world that affects us all...unfortunately too much of which gets labeled political.

I still find TOTV a welcome source of information and at times "entertaining". Generally a good site to seek opinion/help/suggestions.
Closed Thread

Tags
curious, find, long, bogie, questions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.