Bold or All caps

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Founder
Default Bold or All caps

Bold print or all Capital letters is considered shouting in cyberese (is that a word). Please don't do it here. We don't want shouting, it hurts our aging ears. PLEASE! :bow:
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Bold or All caps

It is hard to read too.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:31 AM

Yahoo for the Administrators!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluva
I think you should take into consideration that this is a 55+ community message board and is frequented by 55+ folks who may have a difficult time seeing smaller print. Some of those may even be elderly and they are more concerned with being able to read the message than they are that caps are a no no in cyberspace.
Ya right! ;D
Old 11-30-2007, 01:22 PM

administrator sorry for previously using caps in subject - didn't know it was taboo as i had seen it done before. why would it be harder to read small print than caps? is this "whispering"? it is easier not shifting. saves energy. :joke:
Old 11-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

Jan is correct. Bold or caps are considered yelling. When I was a novice and started using computers in work; I always used caps. Well, one day an IT guy came to my desk red faced and asked why I was yelling at him!

Now when I see caps in a message, I cringe!

But many folks don't know this type of cyber etiquette. So it's good that you posted this Jan!
Old 11-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Here's a way to test the reading ease and comfort of all caps compared to upper and lower case.

Print a one-line sentence in all caps.

Print another in upper and lower case.

Cover the bottom half of the all caps line first with a sheet of paper. Be fair about it and try to make it as close to covering the bottom half of the letters as possible.

Have somebody read that and note the difficulty in being able to discern the words.

Then do the same with upper and lower. Reading will be easier and quicker.

Researchers have found that we read quickly and comfortably by passing our vision over the tops of letters. The tops of all caps are more difficult to discern than the tops of upper and lower. Reading all-caps lines requires we go slowly, and study.

It doesn't matter about the type size. Thats a whole other issue. Its more related to type case: If somebody has poor vision and is trying to read all-caps they will be frustrated.

The Villages Florida
Old 11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony
Here's a way to test the reading ease and comfort of all caps compared to upper and lower case.

Print a one-line sentence in all caps.

Print another in upper and lower case.

Cover the bottom half of the all caps line first with a sheet of paper. Be fair about it and try to make it as close to covering the bottom half of the letters as possible.

Have somebody read that and note the difficulty in being able to discern the words.

Then do the same with upper and lower. Reading will be easier and quicker.

Researchers have found that we read quickly and comfortably by passing our vision over the tops of letters. The tops of all caps are more difficult to discern than the tops of upper and lower. Reading all-caps lines requires we go slowly, and study.

It doesn't matter about the type size. Thats a whole other issue. Its more related to type case: If somebody has poor vision and is trying to read all-caps they will be frustrated.

The Villages Florida
I usuallly will not even read a lengthy message that is all in caps. Too hard on the eyes.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:34 PM

That is interesting if half of the print is missing but I still think larger over all print is easier to read and I've not had good vision as long as I can remember. (People are still posting with caps in the subject line.) :cop: That is ok by me. I will only yell at friends and family if I can remember the rule. :joke:
Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

This tip might be helpful to those finding it difficult to read text on their computer displays. There is a way to increase the size of displayed text using your internet browser. If you're using Microsoft Explorer....simply click on "View" on the menu bar and then select "Text Size" from the drop-down menu box....then click "largest". Text for most, if not all, web pages can be englarged this way. Hope this helps y'all.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 12-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluva
I wouldn't be writing off those with poor sight and the elderly. They have computers but need to be able to see the letters to read them. I have many online friends, outside this board, who need to use bold print in order to use the computer. Some use all caps for the same reason. I would think that since you are so very concerned with getting and keeping hits on this board that you would understand this and give it more compassion than just an "ya right".
They can use larger font. Bold or all caps is shouting and we don't want it here.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Sorry that i was using upper case when I did my posting. Bad key board, cap locks was stuck.

Dennis G
Old 12-01-2007, 09:56 PM

How about the excuse that I did not realize that caps were shouting? I did it for emphasis and did not realize it was a no/no. Guess that shows that the people who have been in chat rooms for years are the ones who should be posting on this site. S-o-r-r-y
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Platinum member

Why change the font size when you can hold down the CTRL key and use your mouse-wheel to make the screen image larger or smaller--at least that's the way it works in Windows XP. George
Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Founder

:bow: :bow:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.