Bond

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2019, 09:17 AM
Default Bond

How do I find out the balance of my Bond?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Go to districtgov.org, click on residential bond assessment information, click on amortization schedules, click on your county, district, etc. It will show the entire amortization schedule for your bond, assuming that you have not paid it off.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:00 AM

Thank You!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozaville View Post
Bond Amortization Schedules
Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Platinum member

Be sure to check the interest rate. It varies depending on when the home was built. Mine was a whopping 6.125%.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:24 PM

PS - as a buyer, I ALWAYS add the bond to the asking price of the house when comparing homes for sale. I believe (its just how I do it) that the bond amount should ALWAYS BE CLEARLY STATED in homes for sale. It is in fact, part of the capital amount you are or may be financing (directly or indirectly).
Old 02-07-2019, 07:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
PS - as a buyer, I ALWAYS add the bond to the asking price of the house when comparing homes for sale. I believe (its just how I do it) that the bond amount should ALWAYS BE CLEARLY STATED in homes for sale. It is in fact, part of the capital amount you are or may be financing (directly or indirectly).
It is my belief that the bond amount is not included in bank financing calculations and not included in an appraisal value. I base this on my experience financing my Village home purchase in 2014.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:15 PM

2-plane,

You are absolutely correct. However, you are paying for both, at an interest rate (some here have said they are paying in excess of 6% on their bond!). You ARE paying different parties, but you are still paying for both.

I am saying that to compare the overall costs, I add the bond to the asking price when looking at or comparing homes that are on the market.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Default Pay it off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozaville View Post
Just take a look at how much interest is being charged on the bond and how front loaded it is. I bought 9 years ago with the intent of not moving from my house and paid off the bond immediately. After 8.5 years I am saving tons of money now. Of course if you have plans on moving to another house within 8 years or so from purchase most choose not to pay it off. The realtors are apparently trained to tell everyone to NOT pay it off but I consider that pretty bad advise. Even if selling within 8 years, houses with bond PAID are much more attractive than still having a bond that is almost the same as it started out. Either way, you have to factor in that the bond is part of what you are paying for the house.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Be sure to check the interest rate. It varies depending on when the home was built. Mine was a whopping 6.125%.
And as I understand it the interest on the bond is not tax deductible as mortgage interest usually is for most folks most of the time.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-08-2019, 06:53 AM
Sage

That is correct, it is not deductable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
And as I understand it the interest on the bond is not tax deductible as mortgage interest usually is for most folks most of the time.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Pay it with a home equity line of credit maintaining a zero balance like a credit card.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgg7933 View Post
Just take a look at how much interest is being charged on the bond and how front loaded it is. I bought 9 years ago with the intent of not moving from my house and paid off the bond immediately. After 8.5 years I am saving tons of money now. Of course if you have plans on moving to another house within 8 years or so from purchase most choose not to pay it off. The realtors are apparently trained to tell everyone to NOT pay it off but I consider that pretty bad advise. Even if selling within 8 years, houses with bond PAID are much more attractive than still having a bond that is almost the same as it started out. Either way, you have to factor in that the bond is part of what you are paying for the house.
Of course the bond looks "front loaded", that is how all loans work, you are paying a given percentage of the outstand balance in interest and a portion goes to the principal.

Is the bond a negative, not really since most homes here in The Villages have them. Not having a bond payment is a definite positive and if all other things on two identical homes are the same, take the one without the bond of course.

I agree with your position of paying off the bond if you are going to stay in the home long term as it will save a considerable amount in interest. Is the number 8 years, longer, or less, that depends on the bond interest rate, finances, and level of pain you are willing to endure paying interest. If you move every couple of years, as some do, paying off the bond does not offer a sufficient payback to justify the expense.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 02-08-2019, 07:50 AM

I have to always laugh when I see homes advertised for sale proclaiming the bond is paid off. What fool would pay off their bond and then not increase the selling price accordingly? As the saying goes, nothing is free.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
I have to always laugh when I see homes advertised for sale proclaiming the bond is paid off. What fool would pay off their bond and then not increase the selling price accordingly? As the saying goes, nothing is free.
Selling price is what the market will pay. Two homes same value, one with no bond outstanding , and one with an outstanding bond of $10,000 affects the negotiation. Would I pay the owner of the no outstanding bond $10,000 more. Probably not, but I would pay something more. If the houses were priced $10,000 different (Bond Paid house higher) I would buy the house with the unpaid bond (less out of pocket) unless I got a break from the bond paid house owner.

That should be confusing enough.
Closed Thread

Tags
bond, balance, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.