Bond

Bond

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-08-2019, 06:53 AM
Platinum member

That is correct, it is not deductable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
And as I understand it the interest on the bond is not tax deductible as mortgage interest usually is for most folks most of the time.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:34 AM
Sage

Pay it with a home equity line of credit maintaining a zero balance like a credit card.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgg7933 View Post
Just take a look at how much interest is being charged on the bond and how front loaded it is. I bought 9 years ago with the intent of not moving from my house and paid off the bond immediately. After 8.5 years I am saving tons of money now. Of course if you have plans on moving to another house within 8 years or so from purchase most choose not to pay it off. The realtors are apparently trained to tell everyone to NOT pay it off but I consider that pretty bad advise. Even if selling within 8 years, houses with bond PAID are much more attractive than still having a bond that is almost the same as it started out. Either way, you have to factor in that the bond is part of what you are paying for the house.
Of course the bond looks "front loaded", that is how all loans work, you are paying a given percentage of the outstand balance in interest and a portion goes to the principal.

Is the bond a negative, not really since most homes here in The Villages have them. Not having a bond payment is a definite positive and if all other things on two identical homes are the same, take the one without the bond of course.

I agree with your position of paying off the bond if you are going to stay in the home long term as it will save a considerable amount in interest. Is the number 8 years, longer, or less, that depends on the bond interest rate, finances, and level of pain you are willing to endure paying interest. If you move every couple of years, as some do, paying off the bond does not offer a sufficient payback to justify the expense.
My Drone Flying YouTube Page
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Old 02-08-2019, 07:50 AM

I have to always laugh when I see homes advertised for sale proclaiming the bond is paid off. What fool would pay off their bond and then not increase the selling price accordingly? As the saying goes, nothing is free.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Location: Buffalo,Erie,Lynn,Hickory,Louisville,Charleston,Schenectady,Marblehead MA, TV Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
I have to always laugh when I see homes advertised for sale proclaiming the bond is paid off. What fool would pay off their bond and then not increase the selling price accordingly? As the saying goes, nothing is free.
Selling price is what the market will pay. Two homes same value, one with no bond outstanding , and one with an outstanding bond of $10,000 affects the negotiation. Would I pay the owner of the no outstanding bond $10,000 more. Probably not, but I would pay something more. If the houses were priced $10,000 different (Bond Paid house higher) I would buy the house with the unpaid bond (less out of pocket) unless I got a break from the bond paid house owner.

That should be confusing enough.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
An Estate trying to turn a property into cash may not be to concerned about the bond their deceased relative paid off!

Tags
bond, balance, find