Bond Issue

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage

A person had mentioned that they get 6%, I have a big investment in Gabelli Utility Trust (GUT) it pays close 8% and the dividends are based on 12 month payments, but a really big benefit is it you reinvest dividends, you get a 5% market price discount--close to 13% (total)--have this stock over 25 years--double your investment close to every 7 years

By the way I just got some more stock today @ $7.16 vs $7.54 mkt price--its been working for me

Last edited by Chatbrat; 10-30-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
A person had mentioned that they get 6%, I have a big investment in Gabelli Utility Trust (GUT) it pays close 8% and the dividends are based on 12 month payments, but a really big benefit is it you reinvest dividends, you get a 5% market price discount--close to 13% (total)--have this stock over 25 years--double your investment close to every 7 years
That would be an excellent choice with significantly better return than paying off the mortgage with the same money....if one is so inclined to do so....
Old 10-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:

Right, Wrong or Indifferent............I've looked at some Utility Stocks as a bond investment because of their dividend history. Sometimes not a lot of price growth, just good payment history.

GUT has a good track record...........and yes, 6% is do'able.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
The bond is not going to be refinanced as it was taken out by the Morse family's corporation(s)/CDD's to finance the building of the infrastructure. There is no incentive for refinancing as the bond holders are making money and there is no municipality that would benefit from the refinance as it is the homeowners paying it, not the CDD.
You are incorrect in this statement, the bods for districts 3 thru 8 were reissued in 2013-2104 to take advantage of lower interest rates. The homeowners still owing on the original bonds benefited by the lower rates by a lower annual payment on the reissued bonds.

Other than paying for the work provided by the Developer, the developer is basically out of the loop on the bonds that are issued and receives no benefit for either the interest or administrative fees that are charged.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 10-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Not only interest, but an administrative fee.

Most folks don’t look at their amortization schedule. It should also be noted that the interest rate your bond varies depending on when it was issued. Our first villa, built in 2012, carries an interest rate of 6.125%. That’s huge. This is amortized—not simple interest.

Anyone know who keeps the admin fee? Might be the bond underwriter, but I don’t know.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
You are incorrect in this statement, the bods for districts 3 thru 8 were reissued in 2013-2104 to take advantage of lower interest rates. The homeowners still owing on the original bonds benefited by the lower rates by a lower annual payment on the reissued bonds.

Other than paying for the work provided by the Developer, the developer is basically out of the loop on the bonds that are issued and receives no benefit for either the interest or administrative fees that are charged.
More incorrect info by unknowledgeable posters. Rampant on this thread. Thanks Goldwingnut for "facts"
Old 10-29-2019, 04:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
My first home purchase in TV was a pre-owned Patio Villa. I was going to pay off the bond but my villages sales agent advised me not to pay it off because of the very same reason you stated. Sure enough, two years later I bought a courtyard villa and sold the patio villa. If I had paid off the bond I would have to add that to the sale price of the home. It would have made it a very expensive Patio Villa.
An existing bond is considered part of the total consideration for the property. Any appraisal indicating otherwise is erroneous.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Most folks don’t look at their amortization schedule. It should also be noted that the interest rate your bond varies depending on when it was issued. Our first villa, built in 2012, carries an interest rate of 6.125%. That’s huge. This is amortized—not simple interest.

Anyone know who keeps the admin fee
? Might be the bond underwriter, but I don’t know.
https://www.districtgov.org/departme...financeFAQ.pdf page 3 says:

 Why am I paying administration fees with the bond?
The administration fees are charged to cover the expenses related to record keeping and
administrative costs.

There is a phone number listed on the bottom of the page and the heading on the page says "VCDD Finance". You could call and ask.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:50 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm curious - where do you invest that earns 6% and better?
I was going to ask the same thing, most likely at some risk.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:46 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
An existing bond is considered part of the total consideration for the property. Any appraisal indicating otherwise is erroneous.

When I financed the purchase of our new house in TV in 2014, the appraisal value and the bank financing value did not include the existing bond on the house.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
[/U]

When I financed the purchase of our new house in TV in 2014, the appraisal value and the bank financing value did not include the existing bond on the house.
What about your tax evaluation?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-29-2019, 10:21 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
What about your tax evaluation?
The assessed value on the Sumter County Property Appraiser site did not include the bond value.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

We didn't know if we would sell the house so we wavered on whether or not to pay off the bond, but ultimately we did. Time flies - we've been in the house 13 years now, so I'm really happy we made the decision not to pay all that interest.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
[/U]

The bond does not add to the value. It is in fact a lien, superior even to a mortgage. The value is the value. My point is that If the appraised value is $100,000 and you contract at that price ,your total consideration with a $10,000 bond is $110,000. Any salesperson who does not clearly explain this is misleading the purchaser.

If house A is priced at $100,000 with a bond of $10,000 = total consideration(all in price)is $110,000. If no bond(bond has been paid), then any purchase price up to $109,999 is a better deal.

Last edited by Challenger; 10-30-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
bigbow, bond, face, smile, cost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.