storage unit - what don't you store?

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Default storage unit - what don't you store?

We are going to rent a storage unit for our furniture and whatever else we bring to TV. I think we will carry flat screen tvs with us to rental along with important paper documents. Is there anything you had problems with when you recovered your belongings from the storage unit. Since our things may be in storage up to 3 months (summer months), I am leaning towards the climate controlled. I don't know if there would be any type of mold problems in the regular units if it got so hot or from the humidity. Anyone have any experience with this? I know no candles or pictures should be stored. I was surprised the brochure the unit gave us did not have a list on it of dos and don'ts.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Default Storage

Climate control is a must for mattresses, upholstered chairs/sofas and the like. Once they get that musty smell there is no way to get rid of it.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Smile

Our stuff has gone into storage both with a mover and then later in a storage unit. Climate controled would be a good bet. As far as things not to store.
No alcohol.
All the gas out of the mower and let it vent uncapped for a few days.

Also I wouldn't move any cleaning products as the packers one time moved Laundry soap. I had it in the do not pack pile in the garage but they packed it anyway along with the garbage, The load got damp being moved from the truck to the storage and everything came out covered in dried and moldy suds. Funny now but it wasn't then.

Someone at my husbands work when we put stuff in a storage place (Climate controled indoor garage like thing.) during our exile to Atlanta. suggested we get some stuff that absorbs morsture and put it in the unit. We did and I saw that the suff had a water colection tub under it . I put it over a big bucket instead just in case and was glad I did there was alot of water in it when we went back in 3 months for the Christmas stuff.

I don't know if the air didn't circulate well or what. It was always cold inside the building but not really dry.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn8757 View Post
I was surprised the brochure the unit gave us did not have a list on it of dos and don'ts.
They probably don't provide a list because if they left something off that was subsequently damage they might be open for a lawsuit.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.