Bond payoff

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 01:02 PM
Gold member
Default Bond payoff

When is the best time to pay off your Bond? Anyone know for sure?
I know that realtors do not recommend paying off the Bond... however the
Interest is around 6% which is very high.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2020, 01:35 PM
DAIII
Thumbs up Paid

Sooner the better- the longer you wait the more interest is accrued. I paid mine off first year and it's a wonderful feeling to not pay double in 30 years with the interest.

With that said...

If you're not going to be here in 30 years.. or if you sell to move to another home. best to not pay it off as the bond follows the house not the owner.

I personally am staying in this home (no exceptions)
Old 11-25-2020, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
When is the best time to pay off your Bond? Anyone know for sure?
I know that realtors do not recommend paying off the Bond... however the
Interest is around 6% which is very high.

Thanks
Not sure when the best time is, but if you want the payment reflected on your annual bill, and therefore not have a charge on the November bill, you must pay off the bond by the end of July (actual date may vary by year). As for me, we have determined that we make more by leaving the money invested and paying annually than we would be withdrawing it to pay off the bond.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

From the District Web Site:

Residential Bond Assessment Information

The infrastructure of the District in which you live was built with tax-exempt bonds. The bonds are repaid with monies collected in the annual tax bill sent out by the County Tax Collector's Offices and appear in the Non-Ad Valorem section of the tax bill as "Bond Debt Assessment".

You may pay off your bond assessment in full at any time. You are not required to pay off this assessment in advance.

If you choose not to pay off the bond debt before the “July cut off date”, the annual assessment will continue to appear on the tax bill until the debt is paid off.
If you choose to pay off your remaining bond assessment before the July cut off date, the yearly installments will be eliminated from your annual tax bill.
If you pay off your bond between the July cut off date and September 16th you will owe no additional interest; however, you will still have one more annual bond assessment on your tax bill.
If you pay off your bond between September 17th and March 16th you will owe six months additional interest.
If you pay off your bond between March 17th and the following July cut off date, the full annual assessment of interest is owed.
Contact the Bond Unit at (352) 751-3900 for your Bond Payoff amount.

The July cut off date is July 16, 2021 to eliminate the bond assessment on your 2021 Tax Bill.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

///
Old 11-25-2020, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

For us the decision point is 10 years. If we are staying more than 10 years then it makes sense to pay off the bond and save on interest. If we feel we will be moving in less than 10 years then the pay off amount will be more than the amount we would pay in annual payments.

Good thought about investments too. If you are making more than about 6% on your investments then you would actually do better to leave the money invested and make the annual payments
Old 11-25-2020, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

The interest rate is high. If you're planning to say, just pay it off.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

I hate debt, but I have not paid off my bond. I think the biggest disadvantage to paying it off is that you will lose money when you sell the house. You will not be able to convince a buyer to reimburse you for the money you used to pay off the bond. And, very few people actually know how long they will keep their house before selling.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-25-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:26 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
From the District Web Site:

The infrastructure of the District in which you live was built with tax-exempt bonds. The bonds are repaid with monies collected in the annual tax bill sent out by the County Tax Collector's Offices and appear in the Non-Ad Valorem section of the tax bill as "Bond Debt Assessment".

You may pay off your bond assessment in full at any time. You are not required to pay off this assessment in advance.

If you choose not to pay off the bond debt before the “July cut off date”, the annual assessment will continue to appear on the tax bill until the debt is paid off.
If you choose to pay off your remaining bond assessment before the July cut off date, the yearly installments will be eliminated from your annual tax bill.
If you pay off your bond between the July cut off date and September 16th you will owe no additional interest; however, you will still have one more annual bond assessment on your tax bill.
If you pay off your bond between September 17th and March 16th you will owe six months additional interest.
If you pay off your bond between March 17th and the following July cut off date, the full annual assessment of interest is owed.
Contact the Bond Unit at (352) 751-3900 for your Bond Payoff amount.

The July cut off date is July 16, 2021 to eliminate the bond assessment on your 2021 Tax Bill.
Thanks for the information
Old 11-25-2020, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I hate debt, but I have not paid off my bond. I think the biggest disadvantage to paying it off is that you will lose money when you sell the house. You will not be able to convince a buyer to reimburse you for the money you used to pay off the bond. And, very few people actually know how long they will keep their house before selling.
That is exactly why we do not plan to pay off the bond early.

Have heard they might refinance the bonds to reduce the interest rate.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

If you plan on moving never and if you plan on staying never , real low interest rate in can do better with the money in my vanguard index funds , I’ve sold 5 homes here soon to be 6 never gave a discount for the bond and always sold homes over the assessed value
Old 11-25-2020, 03:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
You do get a portion of a paid bond back much in the same way you get other home improvements back. Two homes, otherwise identical, will sell for different amounts for say an enclosed lanai. Two identical homes will not sell for the same if one has a paid bond.

The increased sale amount will not be comps + bond balance just as the enclosed lanai cost is not 'paid' .

I place the savings/ increased sale price at a point that the home must be kept in 7-10 years to break even.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,929 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
So, going to pay the interest which you will get NO money back on and still not pay the bond down that much.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
You do get a portion of a paid bond back much in the same way you get other home improvements back. Two homes, otherwise identical, will sell for different amounts for say an enclosed lanai. Two identical homes will not sell for the same if one has a paid bond.

The increased sale amount will not be comps + bond balance just as the enclosed lanai cost is not 'paid' .

I place the savings/ increased sale price at a point that the home must be kept in 7-10 years to break even.
I asked several real estate agents who have been around for awhile and know the market whether it makes sense to pay off the bond and they all said not worthwhile unless you are sure you will stay in your home for 10 years or so.

In our case we are here less than a year and not 100% sure this will be our only home so not paying off bond at this time.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I asked several real estate agents who have been around for awhile and know the market whether it makes sense to pay off the bond and they all said not worthwhile unless you are sure you will stay in your home for 10 years or so.

In our case we are here less than a year and not 100% sure this will be our only home so not paying off bond at this time.
I also asked several RE agents who told me that you do get a portion of the paid off bond back. I went further and examined newer homes for sale with paid off bonds and they do sell for more than comps w/o bonds.
Closed Thread

Tags
bond, high, interest, paying, recommend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.