Don't get talked into something not needed.

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Default Don't get talked into something not needed.

Since moving to The Villages 9 months ago, I have had 2 experiences where a company has tried to sell me something I did not need. One was a dental company that wanted to charge me $4000 for work that was unnecessary and the other was a car dealer that said I needed work done on my car that again was unnecessary. The dental company said that my insurance would pay for about half of the cost.

I don't know if this is a standard practice with these companies or this is something that they do to new customers. In the case of the dental company, I believe that this is one of the reasons that our insurance costs are as high as they are.

I know the dental company was wrong because on a visit up north, I went to my former dentist and he did my 6 month check up including x-rays and exam and said everything was great, as usual. The auto dealership told me I needed an alignment even though the car only had 13,000 miles on it and there was no unusual tread ware. 6 months later, I took the car to a different dealership for the oil and filter change and there was no mention of needing an alignment.

I'm not sure if this type of thing is happening to all seniors, all new Floridians, or that I look gullible. I wrote to my insurance company to make them aware of the situation and the possibility that they are paying out money for work that does not have to be done and I wrote to the car manufacturer indicating that I would not buy their vehicles in the future since I could not trust their dealers to be honest with me. I received responses from both letters saying they were looking into the matter. (PS: I was not looking to receive anything for myself when I wrote these letters).

I tried to make this as short as possible while still getting my point across. That point being that we should always question why something should be done and the consequences if they are not done. We can always get a second opinion if we are not sure.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Gold member

we live in a affluent area, business are in to make money, ......if they think they can sell you something, you may or may not need, they will try there best to get your money..... sometimes honestly, sometimes not...

just facts of life........ buyer beware..... it happens to everyone, everywhere....
Old 03-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Both are common practices -- some by very specific companies, some by individuals -- but are common nationwide. They're not restricted to hard-selling just folks of a certain age or race or sex. They look for the gullible and find far too many of them. So sad.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to jalopy54
Default Needed of Not Needed?

I think when you move here from mostly northern areas. Company's down here would like for you to think their is major i mean MAJOR problems with bugs and so on. Well, their are a lot of them here and up there too. We can do it ourselves or let a professional do it. If you would like to do it yourself, I think you will have no problem. If you don't know how, just google it.

I have lived here for a little over a year now. I figured out you do not have to be the Wizard of Oz to use a lawn fertilize/bug control spreader. Also, a liquid pump sprayer is nice to use for your bug control around and in your house.

Mickey
Old 03-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

The water softener people will be haunting you soon!
Old 03-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
Since moving to The Villages 9 months ago, I have had 2 experiences where a company has tried to sell me something I did not need. One was a dental company that wanted to charge me $4000 for work that was unnecessary and the other was a car dealer that said I needed work done on my car that again was unnecessary. The dental company said that my insurance would pay for about half of the cost.

I don't know if this is a standard practice with these companies or this is something that they do to new customers. In the case of the dental company, I believe that this is one of the reasons that our insurance costs are as high as they are.

I know the dental company was wrong because on a visit up north, I went to my former dentist and he did my 6 month check up including x-rays and exam and said everything was great, as usual. The auto dealership told me I needed an alignment even though the car only had 13,000 miles on it and there was no unusual tread ware. 6 months later, I took the car to a different dealership for the oil and filter change and there was no mention of needing an alignment.

I'm not sure if this type of thing is happening to all seniors, all new Floridians, or that I look gullible. I wrote to my insurance company to make them aware of the situation and the possibility that they are paying out money for work that does not have to be done and I wrote to the car manufacturer indicating that I would not buy their vehicles in the future since I could not trust their dealers to be honest with me. I received responses from both letters saying they were looking into the matter. (PS: I was not looking to receive anything for myself when I wrote these letters).

I tried to make this as short as possible while still getting my point across. That point being that we should always question why something should be done and the consequences if they are not done. We can always get a second opinion if we are not sure.
I been here 7.5 years and it isn't going to change
Old 03-10-2014, 11:08 AM

What does this reply have to do with the post?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Platinum member

Auto dealerships and dental offices are the most notorious places to step into where they will try to up-sell you the moon.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.