Bond Payoff

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Since the stock market delivers much more that 4%, 5%, 6%.......finance the bond and invest the $$$.

The question is, are you deducting the payments on your income tax return each year???
Bond payments are not tax deductable.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:54 PM

If you have enough equity in your home, you can take a home equity loan to pay off the bond. You can get a better interest rate and the interest is deductible.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan View Post
If you have enough equity in your home, you can take a home equity loan to pay off the bond. You can get a better interest rate and the interest is deductible.
Bingo. Even better alternative to pay off or not pay off. Thank you HawkFan.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

Paying off our bond has been a topic of discussion in our home many times. I would use our Home Equity line of credit at Prime plus 1/4 which is in place for another 10 years as long as we continue to own our Northern home. Also we are dependent on the Federal Reserve to continue to hold the interest rates at this low percentage. We also have read on occasion that Congress has talked about disallowing mortgage interest deductions which would hurt the new and existing homeowners.

But we also know that many upgrades, landscaping, etc, in our homes doesn't guarantee a 100% return of our costs if we decide to resell. They would "help" to sell the home and make it a bit different than the same models that are out there.
So, that is the conundrum.

Last edited by bonrich; 10-03-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Platinum member

I see the bond as a purchase of the "lifestyle" rather than the purchase of the home, thus I don't get too concerned about recovering that amount if I were to resell my home. That's probably bad thinking from an economic standpoint, but its the way I see it.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:26 AM

we don't really care whether paying the bond off or not impacts the sale of our house or if we recoup what we paid This is house #2 in TV for us and we don't plan on moving. Selling our house will be our kids problem and everything they get from it will ne a "profit" for them
Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Sage

IF I had a bond on my house, I certainly would take a home equity loan and pay it off and would be able to deduct interest on the loan.

However, I bought a beautiful resale home that had no bond remaining which was a big contributing factor in buying it. The home also had every other thing we wanted plus some things we had not thought of before.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Default paying bond off early

The trouble with the argument of paying it off early for me is I dont have enough deductions to itemize, they way I figure it I would save $156 a year on a $12,000 bond since the interest does me no good. I still haven't decided what to do.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Veteran member
Default Ideas, please....

Last edited by Lovey2; 02-19-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We didn't pay off the bond on this house or on our first one. BECAUSE, you never know, it may be our previous house if we buy a third one. We did pay for both houses, but chose to let the bond ride, so that if we listed it to sell we would not have to include the paid off bond into the price of the house and make the price point more sellable.

We are very satisfied with our home, but ya never know what those people are gonna build next and we may just fall in love with a new floor plan.

I thought that when we bought our first house that it would be our here-'til-we-croak-FROG house but here we are in another one. We have downsized and know how to do that, we just might want to buy one of those sweet patio villas, or a beautiful ranch, or a new designer might catch our fancy. We ain't dead yet, and we may want another home here.

So for now the bond is not paid off on our home.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

We paid it off as part of our closing last week. Over a 30 year period the bond will triple in cost. For us, it was down to dollars and cents. We aren't convinced it's tax deductible. Having gone through an IRS Audit we don't want to put it to the test.

There are no right or wrong answers to paying the bond off. Simply personal preference.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
We paid it off as part of our closing last week. Over a 30 year period the bond will triple in cost. For us, it was down to dollars and cents. We aren't convinced it's tax deductible. Having gone through an IRS Audit we don't want to put it to the test.

There are no right or wrong answers to paying the bond off. Simply personal preference.
It's not tax deductible.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Sage

I paid my bond off two weeks ago, as it only was a few hundred dollars.

I don't plan on moving, ever!!!!! I justed to get it over with and only pay the txes due, on this structure.

Since property values have increased dramatically, will the new taxes be proportionately higher?

Inquiring minds want to know........

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I paid my bond off two weeks ago
GREAT! Now you can start working on mine!

The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 AM

where do you pay the bond off is there an address
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.