Bonifay/Fernindina smell

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Location: The Villages, FL, village of Sanibel (previously Colchester, CT and Dallas, PA)

I smelled the mysterious odor when we were showing off our new neighborhood to some relatives who came to visit. We were standing by the Fernandina pool and we all got a whiff of a sulfur smell. One whiff and then it was gone. It was quite noticeable as we all made a comment about it when it occured. But it was gone as quickly as it came. It did not smell like fertilizer (we have been walking at the Polo club while they were fertilizing. Now that was an awful stink!) This smelled more like sulfur. Considering that most of the folks in the neighborhood have not smelled it at all, and I only smelled it for an instant, I'm not too worried about it.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Gold member

We got in the car and drove over to TV (1 hour away) and walked our dogs at the Fernandina Pool.
We stopped in at the Bonifay Pro Shop then checked on our lot and saw all of the new housing starts just in the last few weeks.
You know what? NO smells and I have a real sensitive smeller.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Sage

We played Truman today starting at 10:40. When we got to the third green, we both noticed a sulfur odor. With the wind blowing from the north, it couldn't be originating in the Bonifay/Fernandina area. I wonder if they are doing something in that new facility on 466a between Buena Vista and Canal St. that is producing that odor. By the time we got to the 4th tee, we didn't smell it anymore.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Sage

It was definitely a sulfur smell that Mike and I noticed. After watching the movie Volcano many times and visiting the La Brea tar pits a few times... I was waiting for a volcanic vent to open up... Didn't last long.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
We played Truman today starting at 10:40. When we got to the third green, we both noticed a sulfur odor. With the wind blowing from the north, it couldn't be originating in the Bonifay/Fernandina area. I wonder if they are doing something in that new facility on 466a between Buena Vista and Canal St. that is producing that odor. By the time we got to the 4th tee, we didn't smell it anymore.
What are they doing there on the South side of 466A?
We saw the mound and all of the trucks moving dirt around.
What was there before they started building Bonifay CC and the houses there?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Default No Smell

My wife and I just got home to S. CA after spending 3 great days at TV. We spent a lot of time in the Fernandina/Bonifay area looking at our empty lot as well as the progress being made on the other new homes.

I’m pleased to report that I didn’t pick up any foul orders in any of the areas we visited. We walked around the empty lots as well as the pool and Starter Shacks around Bonifay.

We visited there all three days at different times of the day. We also had a leisurely lunch on the Bonifay patio yesterday afternoon, and still no orders. I’m feeling much better about this issue.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM

sorry -- should have typed "odors" not "orders". Must be the jet-lag...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Gold member

Which model did you guys pick out?
We are excited to be going back for 6 days next week to pick out our stuff and hopefully staying within budget.
Glad you had a great time.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
It was definitely a sulfur smell that Mike and I noticed. After watching the movie Volcano many times and visiting the La Brea tar pits a few times... I was waiting for a volcanic vent to open up... Didn't last long.
Did you ask Mike what he'd been eating?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Seems like nothing much has been done to fix the stink problen. I started a thread 10/5/11 on this topic. We were told at that time by the sales person that the smell is "just the price you pay to own on a golf course".
I'm not a golfer so I didn't know there was an odor associated with golf courses. What creates the odor?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I'm not a golfer so I didn't know there was an odor associated with golf courses. What creates the odor?
Fertilizers. The farmer next door to my place just spread his fields with chicken manure. It's zesty for a few days. Lucky the wind in the right direction.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANCY58 View Post
Take a look at the landfill across from colony plaza. Could that be the smell?
nope, its construction debris, not organic waste.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
Fertilizers. The farmer next door to my place just spread his fields with chicken manure. It's zesty for a few days. Lucky the wind in the right direction.
Do golf courses require a different type of fertilizer than the grasses that are all over The Villages such as lawn for homes and all the common grounds?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Do golf courses require a different type of fertilizer than the grasses that are all over The Villages such as lawn for homes and all the common grounds?
I believe the shear volumes of turf require fertilizers that cost less than one uses on homes so maybe it has more of the "barnyard" in it. Just guessing. Higher nitrogen is desired on pastures, that I can bet the ranch on.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
I believe the shear volumes of turf require fertilizers that cost less than one uses on homes so maybe it has more of the "barnyard" in it. Just guessing. Higher nitrogen is desired on pastures, that I can bet the ranch on.
Now I get the picture. Thanks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.