Bought Sight Seen, Shopping for Furniture, & Other Stuff Newbies Do

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Sage
Default Re: Bought Sight Seen, Shopping for Furniture, & Other Stuff Newbies Do

HB .. No rest for the wicked.

Actually, today was my day for meeting fellow TOTVers for coffee as Donna posted.
It was great to meet Mom2five and her husband, Noni, Donna and Cathy .. now, where was everyone else???

I made two trips to consignment today and bought a sofa bed and coffee table (with help from Noni). ;D

I sadly cannot post a picture of my golf cart because the guy who did it said the changing colours can't be photographed .. it just looks boring in a picture. You'll have to come see it in person.

HB, you said you are buying in Belvedere .. where? I absolutely love this location; it is close to everything, you can even go to Walmart in a golf cart. But then I guess everyone in TV loves their own Village. :2cool:

Old 11-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

So Dee is a he? How are you coming on furnishing the house, close to done or a ways to go yet?
Old 11-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Gold member

Hi, I am superstitious - so until it is a done deal I do not like talking about it.

If all goes well we will have to furnish the house from scratch. Do they sell dishes, silverware and other basic kitchen items in the consignment shops?

I have heard of Tuesday Morning but have never been to one, have you?

Looking forward to seeing your golf cart in person.

HB
Old 11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Sage

HB, OK, don't want to jeopardize your potential purchase! Good luck with it & please let us know how it goes. ;D I've never heard of Tuesday Morning ... quick, quick, quick .. what am I missing? In answer to your question, I've found that most consignment stores sell furniture and a few special knickknacks. I think most people rely on trusty old Walmart for silverware, starter dishes, sheets, towels, etc.. You can get used toasters and coffee pots at garage sales, but it is pretty inexpensive to buy them new at Walmart. I haven't had any luck at all with garage sales .. but then I don't line up at 7:30 am either.

Golfnut: Dee the golf-cart detailer is a she, and her partner is a he. You get two for the price of one. They are quite professional and have tons of options, I was impressed. They will do the entire cart for $65 and come to your house!

So far at consignment shops we've purchased: A king size rattan bedroom set, a sofa bed and coffee table for the spare room, a dining room set, and for the living room a loveseat, sofa, coffee table, entertainment unit, two pictures, bananna plant, and more. This has taken 2 1/2 weeks of constant shopping. I'm at the point now where I am reconsigning stuff that I've bought there because now I've found something I like better. I'm glad I don't live with me, I wouldn't be able to stand me. > I start drooling when I drive up to a consignment store and see a new truckload of furniture. In my real life, I hate shopping, so this sudden lust for other people's furniture has me baffled.

The Fire Dragon returns in two weeks, then we'll be calling everyone under the sun to try and make friends and have some fun. Right now I'm trying to finish up the shopping.
I promised the mutts an afternoon at Doggie Do Run, away we go! Sure wish we could get there by golf cart.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

BH, you crack me up.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth Bucket
Hi, I am superstitious - so until it is a done deal I do not like talking about it.

If all goes well we will have to furnish the house from scratch. Do they sell dishes, silverware and other basic kitchen items in the consignment shops?

I have heard of Tuesday Morning but have never been to one, have you?

Looking forward to seeing your golf cart in person.

HB
Don't understand how a store can make it that's only open one half day a week... ??? :dontknow:
Old 11-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Gold member

There are no Tuesday Morning shops near where we live. From what I understand they sell upscale items at excellent prices.

As far as being opened up only 1/2 day there calendar only has Tuesday's on it 5 days a week.

If we get to one I will let you know more.

HB
Old 11-10-2007, 09:32 PM

Tuesday Morning shops are great, I liked the ones in Northern VA. They're open every day, 7 am on Tuesdays, and have pretty good stuff - name brand household items at close-out prices. I just did a search and found that there's one in Ocala, so I'll probably try to find it next time I'm up that way.

Good to hear you're enjoying Bargains &Treasures, Barefoot and HB. I like them too, and bought my sofa there a year ago (love it!).
Old 11-11-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
HB .. No rest for the wicked.

Actually, today was my day for meeting fellow TOTVers for coffee as Donna posted.
It was great to meet Mom2five and her husband, Noni, Donna and Cathy .. now, where was everyone else???

I made two trips to consignment today and bought a sofa bed and coffee table (with help from Noni). ;D

I sadly cannot post a picture of my golf cart because the guy who did it said the changing colours can't be photographed .. it just looks boring in a picture. You'll have to come see it in person.

HB, you said you are buying in Belvedere .. where? I absolutely love this location; it is close to everything, you can even go to Walmart in a golf cart. But then I guess everyone in TV loves their own Village. :2cool:

Barefoot it must be a relief to have gotten your villa furnished so quickly. Now I just have to ask about the sofabed you acquired today because I have a very good friend that just had hers picked up on Friday and taken to the consignment shop. It would be a "hoot" if the sofabed you purchased was hers. Her sofabed had a white background with I think blue flowers and a couple of other colors in it. Was that the one you purchased?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Gold member

PJ, Thank you for your post. From what I heard we can get good quality basic items to furnish a house. Would you agree with that.

Is there another type of store you can compare it to - so that I have a better idea of what to expect? Do they change there merchandise frequently?

A new store to explore. We like one stop shopping. Hope this store proves to be that.

Thanks.

HB
Old 11-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Sage

Hyacinth .. They change merchandise so often it makes my head spin. I'm thinking of pitching a tent and just living there so I don't miss anything good. They pick up from 13 houses every day .. the stuff that is good sells immediately and they pick up more stuff .. it's always a beehive of activity. You can get good quality items to furnish a house; but it it really takes a whole bunch of time. Probably a better way to go is to order everything from Southern Lifestyles. That is where we got our king size bed, their service is great and their prices are competitive. However if you like a bargain, consignment stores are the way to go.

Happy Villager .. Not sure what my new sofa bed looks like as they don't deliver it until Monday and I've seen about 300 sofa beds in the past two weeks. However I think I remember something about grapes!! By the way, it was great "running into you" and I hope to see you again soon. ;D
Old 11-11-2007, 02:36 AM

Hmmm, HB, it depends on the individual store, and also on what you like too.
One of the Tuesday Mornings I've been to in VA was very neat, and one was a little messy, almost like some thrift shops, but I liked it anyway, as I guess I enjoyed "the hunt". Mostly the items were good quality brand names. Here's their site:
http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/indexCatalogOff.asp

I suppose I could compare it to the Bealls Outlet near Spanish Springs (not the clothing one, the housewares one - they are separate). Or it may be similar to the housewares dept of Ross or Marshalls. Since the items are from closeouts, they often have just a few of each item. Unless you're looking for something special, WalMart probably has most anything in the housewares dept. (as another poster noted).

If you're looking for particular brand name items, and maybe a shopping adventure, it might be a good place to go. (As mentioned I haven't been to the Ocala store yet.) Good luck if you go!
Old 11-11-2007, 03:11 AM
Gold member

PJ, Thanks for the info. Will try to get to one in the next week or so.

HB
Old 11-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Platinum member

Wow copious amounts of great information. The main thing is that you're finally there in TV and you made it safe. Now to organize,have fun, and relax.

Jealous Steve
Old 11-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Sage

The large flea market on 441, Markets of Marion, has furniture.

When we are in from Calif, my wife usually makes a trip to the hospice thrift store in Belleview in the K-Mart plaza. There's a Beall's of outlet store and Dollar Store there also.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.