Bowling

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Platinum member
Default Bowling

I went bowling in the Villages today for the first time since becoming a Village People. Usually I am consistent and bowl decent. I found my ball wasn’t breaking the way it does in the NY lanes. I rely on a big break at the finish and wasn’t getting it.

Someone told me, the balls from 20 years ago do not do well on these newer lanes. Is there any truth in these rumors? I noticed the plastic colorful balls others were using were moving well, yet my black Ball went as straight as an arrow.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Tom, you need to get one of those new digital bowling balls.
The Villages Florida
Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Sage

What bowling lanes were you on? Spanish Springs or Fiesta Bowl? One is so very different from the other! The composition of the lanes at Spanish Springs isn't the same as Fiesta bowl....with Fiesta Bowl having much more "slippery" lanes. I have two bowling balls and they are made to go straight (if I throw them that way) not weighted to hook at all, but this year, the lanes at SS seem to "help" the ball, curve. I've not played Fiesta Bowl this season...in the past, I found the approach area way to slippery for me and besides, my league bowls at SS so that's where I practice.

Your ball is old and it might mean you have to adjust your delivery ......or ....you could get one of those amazingly bright, spectacular, beautiful, weighted for the hook, bowling balls...

Now if I could only play better, I'd be able to speak with more knowledge about the game, but I do have fun.The Villages Florida
Old 05-16-2011, 05:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
What bowling lanes were you on? Spanish Springs or Fiesta Bowl? One is so very different from the other! The composition of the lanes at Spanish Springs isn't the same as Fiesta bowl....with Fiesta Bowl having much more "slippery" lanes.
Your ball is old and it might mean you have to adjust your delivery ......or ....you could get one of those amazingly bright, spectacular, beautiful, weighted for the hook, bowling balls...
[/IMG]
I bowled at Fiesta. Spanish Springs had no open bowling. And YES, the lanes were slippery as I landed on my "you know what" once and became gun shy the rest of the day. My ball was also tight and it may have altered my delivery. (Last time I used the ball, I was 45 and weighed 175 pounds. Add thirty pounds and 18 years, I guess I shouldn't be surprised my fingers were a little fatter.)
Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Get a new ball.

My Ebonite Gyro acted the same way when I started here 5 years ago.

Bought the 'Motiv" ball and it runs much nicer except for 10 pins.
Keep the black one for those.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Tom, you need to get one of those new digital bowling balls.
The Villages Florida
They're called iBalls....
Attached Images
eyeball-small-png 
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.