Bowling s of 466.

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2018, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
A 15-20 lane bowling alley, according to Brunswick would cost you well over $2 million to buy land, build building and equip. The number of bowling alleys in US has gone down by about 30% since 1998. Not a good bet for ROI.
Aren't they saying the same thing about golf trending in the US? Yet TV is sure not following that trend.

I believe the TV developers are always looking for an opportunity to build/lease out commercial space for savvy business people. Based on announced residential sales plans south of SR 44 it wouldn't surprise me if a bowling/indoor video golf complex will be open within the next 5 years or so.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 01-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
Aren't they saying the same thing about golf trending in the US? Yet TV is sure not following that trend.

I believe the TV developers are always looking for an opportunity to build/lease out commercial space for savvy business people. Based on announced residential sales plans south of SR 44 it wouldn't surprise me if a bowling/indoor video golf complex will be open within the next 5 years or so.

Don
Golf courses in US are in about a 10% decline. Not as drastic as bowling alleys. Golf course development is even more expensive and risky than bowling alleys.

TV builds golf courses to sell real estate, not to make profit on the golf courses.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Timeframe

Quote:

Don
I agree but think the timeframe could be in the two or three years range.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

Bowling is in decline but still much fun. I was once a very avid bowler. Had all the gear, 3 balls for different lane oil, drilled by the premier driller in the city, and the best shoes of course. Bowled in a scratch league at 16 with a 200+ avg. Even considered an attempt at the pro level, but I was not consistent enough for them. Recently I bowled for the first time since HS (36 years ago) and I bowled about a 130. I guess it’s not like riding a bike, you do lose it. After I retire if I find an enjoyable league I may take it up again.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
There is a bad bowlers league that is a lot of fun. At 116, you'd be a star.
Seriously? Where is that!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Seriously? Where is that!
I know there are bad bowlers leagues at Fiesta Bowl, and I believe at Spanish Springs Lanes also.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 AM

Bowling may be declining in the US, but as with most things, it’s a different story in The Villages.
I have no doubt a Brownwood-area bowling center would be successful during the peak season.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:22 AM

we have a fun league that bowls sunday eve. at feista bowl we used to start at 7:30 but the league before us that has been there for years dropped out due to lack of bowlers we now start at 6pm have 22 teams used to have 32. you cant take a golf cart to leesburg and a 15 or 20 min. ride to have some fun once a week in your home town isn't a inconvenience we do it all the time for a dinner or department store.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

I bowl several times a week, and all of the leagues I am in are handicapped, so your average does not really matter. As stated above, there are "bad" bowler leagues. There are also some leagues that have well above average bowlers. I know Spanish springs has flyers at the desk with a listing of available leagues. I also know that people are constantly dropping out for various reasons, we have been short a bowler since the 3rd week of bowling in one league. The are trainers available at both lanes, and they have been very helpful.

I started as a 113 average bowler when we moved here, now up to 170 (my lowest league) to 190 (my highest league). I would love to see an new facility in the Brownwood area. By the way I know of people that come from as far away as Kissimmee and Ocala to bowl at Spanish Spring lanes, when I asked why, they responded that these lanes are much better then what they have close by!!!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Golf courses in US are in about a 10% decline. Not as drastic as bowling alleys. Golf course development is even more expensive and risky than bowling alleys.

TV builds golf courses to sell real estate, not to make profit on the golf courses.
TV is a commercial developer that (smartly) builds/sells homes to create and attract commercial development.

Selling residential is a one time income producer. Leasing commercial space provides a long term revenue stream.

And they are one of the most successful commercial developers in the country.

It would be great to have an indoor, multi-sport, cart accessible complex in TV

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 01-11-2018, 05:55 PM

It WOULD be great to have a indoor, multi-sport, cart accessible complex in TV. Thanks Don.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
TV is a commercial developer that (smartly) builds/sells homes to create and attract commercial development.

Selling residential is a one time income producer. Leasing commercial space provides a long term revenue stream.

And they are one of the most successful commercial developers in the country.

It would be great to have an indoor, multi-sport, cart accessible complex in TV

Don
You have it exactly backwards. TV developers make the lion's share of their profits by building and selling homes. Multiply 60,000 plus homes at average sales price of $250-300K, then multiply that sales volume with profit per sale of 20-30%. The value of commercial leases they have in the town squares is a very small fraction of their profit from new home sales.

No, TV is not one of the most successful commercial developers in the country. They are small fry at this. They are however, one of the most successful residential developers in the country. That is their business.

If a new bowling alley is such a sure commercial success in South Villages as many here assert, raise the $2 million or more and do it yourself. I wouldn't hold my breath for the Morse's to do it
Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
The distance, they are too far for us southerners......40 minutes by cart, 20 + by car. Leesburg is closer and easier.
That drive could ruin your whole day...

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
You have it exactly backwards. TV developers make the lion's share of their profits by building and selling homes. Multiply 60,000 plus homes at average sales price of $250-300K, then multiply that sales volume with profit per sale of 20-30%. The value of commercial leases they have in the town squares is a very small fraction of their profit from new home sales.

No, TV is not one of the most successful commercial developers in the country. They are small fry at this. They are however, one of the most successful residential developers in the country. That is their business.

If a new bowling alley is such a sure commercial success in South Villages as many here assert, raise the $2 million or more and do it yourself. I wouldn't hold my breath for the Morse's to do it
Finally someone that has inside information on developers business plan and profit streams. Thanks for sharing.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 AM
Veteran member

while i agree we need more bowling facilities there doesn't seem to be a lot of investors.
Closed Thread

Tags
bowling, alley, people, service, rumors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.