Bowling s of 466.

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2018, 06:06 AM

Beautiful lanes but they’re full most of the time
Old 01-16-2018, 07:25 AM
Sage

Years ago, there was a sign up across from Brownwood. It was for a bowling alley, coming soon. Well, it never happened and eventually, a restaurant was built. Can’t remember the first one, but eventually became O’Shea’s....now a few stores and an Urgent Care facility there.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
You have it exactly backwards. TV developers make the lion's share of their profits by building and selling homes. Multiply 60,000 plus homes at average sales price of $250-300K, then multiply that sales volume with profit per sale of 20-30%. The value of commercial leases they have in the town squares is a very small fraction of their profit from new home sales.

No, TV is not one of the most successful commercial developers in the country. They are small fry at this. They are however, one of the most successful residential developers in the country. That is their business.

If a new bowling alley is such a sure commercial success in South Villages as many here assert, raise the $2 million or more and do it yourself. I wouldn't hold my breath for the Morse's to do it
Wow, I had no idea you worked for the Developer.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Aloha. I think what he said was valid and correct information. (But pure conjecture when it comes to profit margins, they are always reinvesting)

The Morses are builders and developers and have a residential business and a commercial business. They actively seek customers for both, but cannot FORCE any business to open in this area.

I get the same response many times when I defend the developer. NO. I don't know him. The closest I have ever come to Mark Morse was last year when I sat with my husband in the front row at the "State of the Villages" presentation, the only one we ever attended and we had such close seats because Henry was first in line.

The need for a Bowling Alley may be real, but it is going to take a person who wants to part with several million dollars to add a new one. Here or anywhere. The developer builds the building for a business that needs a building.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

I honestly think a bowling alley complex near brownwood would be a huge success.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Bowling s of 466.

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
Bowling may be declining in the US, but as with most things, it’s a different story in The Villages.
I have no doubt a Brownwood-area bowling center would be successful during the peak season.

"Peak season" is the keyword. That's really only 3-4 months. For the other 8-9 months they would be crying. New Seasonal businesses are tough to sustain with a multi-million $ investment.

That being said I'd love to start bowling again. I used to be decent lefty (-180avg) . Now with arthritis and old age setting in I'd be afraid to toss that rock. I also HATED the smokers. I'd come home stinking like a cigar and hated it.

Is smoking allowed in local lanes these days?

---------
My user name should be EdF(formerly from)NJ and glad to be gone. [emoji3]
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
"Peak season" is the keyword. That's really only 3-4 months. For the other 8-9 months they would be crying. New Seasonal businesses are tough to sustain with a multi-million $ investment.

That being said I'd love to start bowling again. I used to be decent lefty (-180avg) . Now with arthritis and old age setting in I'd be afraid to toss that rock. I also HATED the smokers. I'd come home stinking like a cigar and hated it.

---------
However............
today's slow season population is equal to or higher than 5-10 years ago busy season. It has been and continues to be an annual rolling growth.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I honestly think a bowling alley complex near brownwood would be a huge success.
It would probably be as successful as the nearby AMF in Leesburg.

Last summer we paid $35 and were allowed to bowl three games every day. That shows how little business they had.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
No need for me to have worked for the Developer of TV to make some conclusions. I have over 40 years experience as a contractor, broker, realtor, senior executive, and have worked for some of the largest US home builders. 20-30% profit margins are pretty standard in the industry.

It is also easy to see that Morse family business is focused on residential construction. The golf courses, rec centers, town squares etc are just vehicles and amenities to sell homes, their main business. Sure they make money from these amenities but that profit is dwarfed by what they make from home sales.

Previously, when I worked for another large Florida developer, we had a meeting with TV developers. They are very efficient in managing costs of construction, for instance they tell contractors how many pounds of nails they can use for a given floor plan. We came away very impressed.

Last edited by GoodLife; 01-17-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post

---------
Actually, winter leagues are 32 weeks August to April, and the lanes tend to be fairly full during the winter leagues.

There is NO Smoking anywhere inside the buildings.

Leesburg AMF lanes are the closest to us, but we go the extra distance to Spanish Springs as the lanes are in much better condition, IMHO.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:12 PM

As I stated in a prev. post our Sunday night League at Fiesta bowl keeps getting smaller every year we use to have 32 teams now down to 22 teams and this is during peak season, the league that used to bowl before us for many years is now no longer due to lack of bowlers. The Gentleman that owns the Holiday inn in Spanish Springs is the person who was going to build a new bowling alley on 44 and Powell road a couple of years ago, put up the sign and had a study done to find out it was not a good biss. to put there so he back out. The Leagues at the two alleys in Spanish Springs are not full and are always looking for Bowlers. If You really want to bowl stop complaining and drive 15 min. or so and take advantage of what we have.
Closed Thread

Tags
bowling, alley, people, service, rumors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.