Brad the alligator

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2021, 06:10 AM

The only Gators i enjoy seeing “dealt with” are the University ones on a football field!
Old 01-17-2021, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,010 Posts

i'd just like to add a reminder of where Larry's problem began--he was given a fb page & name plate. within a short period of time WESH-NEWS added fuel to the fire by showing up in brownwood for a local 'feel-good' story, & soon after the hammer fell. as long as we keep 'brad' off of fb., he should be ok
Old 01-17-2021, 08:29 AM

How did BRAD get there ????????????
Old 01-17-2021, 09:27 AM

Did the Villages place them there??
Old 01-17-2021, 09:31 AM

I'm probably in the minority but I could care less if they trap and kill the gators in and around TV. There will be others that come and take their place, I bet there's another gator that's taken Larry's place. Once the gator is killed it will be used just like any other farmed animals think cows, pigs, salmon, deer, and countless others.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:31 AM
Default If you like Brad Do Not call FWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I worry that Brad, our local alligator living in Bradford, has enough habitat to support him. He (or she as I never got close enough to look) lives in a small pond east of Dray Drive. I read that a female alligator can normally roam about in 10 acres of habitat and a male will roam about even more.

Brad (or Bradley if we are being formal) is prevented from venturing into the Nature Preserve just east of the pond because it is fenced off. He is hemmed in on the other sides by the homes.

According to the FWC an average size adult alligator eats every 5-6 days and requires 6-8 pounds of food - fish, birds, small dogs, etc. and will venture as far as 170 feet from the water to get food.

My question is, will this pond area support his needs or does he need to be relocated? I am a Yankee and a brand new snowbird so pardon my ignorance if I am concerned over nothing.
If you call FWC they will send a ‘trapper’ who will lawfully kill Brad and sell the meat and hide. I saw that happen the last place I lived. Your choice, but I would leave Brad to take care of him/her self. .
Old 01-17-2021, 11:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don5154 View Post
Think before you post
Sorry...I don't like them and definitely would report one if it was hanging out in my yard for example. I know I just totally made myself unpopular, but I am truly afraid of them.....bears too!!
Old 01-17-2021, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeennyy View Post
How did BRAD get there ????????????
Let me explain.

Once upon a time a mommy and daddy alligator got together and wanted to start a family,

And than _____ (think you can guess the rest of the story).
Old 01-17-2021, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
All the alligators will not be removed because some people inform authorities about what they perceive as a nuisance alligator. Having worked several years for FL FWC (BTW this organization has undergone many name changes in the past so some may know of them by a different acronym) each nuisance case is individually investigated. If you report it to local authorities they are charged to report it to FWC. FWC makes the call.

The alligators are still protected by FL law, just no longer classified as endangered. Mass culling of docile gator populations does not occur. Estimates I have seen has the current FL gator population over 1,000,000. Given that an individual gator is deemed a threat to humans, or specific wildlife, it will be removed or destroyed.

If you feel threatened by a gator, report it. Just do not be surprised if the FWC does not remove that gator if they deem it not a nuisance. They certainly are not going to annihilate the entire gator population of an area for one nuisance gator.

"you people need to learn to shut up ...", really? Not a great way to influence people.
You can work on your mini doctoral thesis on gators and the FWC and I’ll continue to do my best to influence people (or not) about leaving wildlife alone.

Tags
alligator, brad, pond, small, east

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.