Bridge at Lake Sumter Landing

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
No, Morris is a cat.
Can Morris eat at Square 1 Burgers??
Old 02-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
About as easy to understand as the residents paying the legal fees for the IRS issue?? Estimates of .5 to 1.5 Million which is quite a large spread for an estimate.
Maybe the HOA has an acceptable explanation as to why the residents should pay for this too...

Because both items are a benefit to all of us. AND I would have to say that is not a high price at all given that four to six designer homes cost that same amount. If the gubmunt did it, the bid would go much higher.

I imagine that Blueash is right too. But the developers are still using the same firms. I bet if challenged, they will fix it. They have done several repairs on the sinking ground in one area in the last few years.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
No, Morse is not a state road. It is a public street and maintained by the county. However, the problem is not an issue with the roadway itself. The problem has something to do with the infrastructure beneath the bridge. Perhaps an engineer can explain the problem in detail; I cannot.

Regarding the IRS thing. We, the residents have already paid well over a million to the attorneys who have represented The Villages (us) thus far. It is my understanding that the developer has not contributed one cent towards these fees. This is not an estimate; we have already paid and the fat lady hasn't sung yet. There's more to come.
I understand your concern, but the developer did not sell the bonds that are under the IRS scrutiny. We did as residents of the various districts, thus it's our bill to pay and not the developer.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I understand your concern, but the developer did not sell the bonds that are under the IRS scrutiny. We did as residents of the various districts, thus it's our bill to pay and not the developer.
But if the developer established the CDDs improperly to retain control over the development, and the CDD isn't really a governmental agency controlled by the residents, why should the residents be liable?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
But if the developer established the CDDs improperly to retain control over the development, and the CDD isn't really a governmental agency controlled by the residents, why should the residents be liable?
The IRS can break thru a "shell game" if they determine something is such.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post

The list of IRS Legal Payments as reported by the VCDD at the January 2015 Amenity Authority Committee meeting at Savannah Regional Recreation Center can be found by down loading the PDF of their 01/07/15 meeting and then go to page 58.

VCDD Amenity Authority Committee - AAC

Information on who the IRS claims sold the bonds can be found reading the PDF 5701 Notice of Proposed Issue found here->

Village Community Development Districts

I would hope that the IRS would lose the case or a settlement is created that is fair to all concerned.

Sorry for the off topic – I will ask the powers to be about the bridge issue when I attend the Wednesday 8 A.M. VCDD questions and answers session.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 02-06-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,918 Times in 2,446 Posts

getting back on subject; big heavy bridge built few years ago over wet sandy marsh land soil? Looks like too much eye candy design and not enough foundation work to me?
Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Yes, that is how I understood it. But it does not seem to address the issue of who determined how to build the bridge, what supports it needed, and who determined that the land was solid enough to proceed. Whomever did that engineering, soil testing, or whatever should it would seem be liable for their error in determining the solidity of the ground and the type of bridge which it could support. That is why engineers have insurance to cover such error and omissions. I'm sure the district did not design the bridge, but if it did then our designers were at fault and we should be going after them for their error.

The bridge was built by The Villages, or their contractors, and opened for traffic about the time that Lake Sumter Landing opened in August 2004.

Since TV had it built, one can only assume that they did the engineering studies, etc, and got all the proper permits.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
The bridge was built by The Villages, or their contractors, and opened for traffic about the time that Lake Sumter Landing opened in August 2004.

Since TV had it built, one can only assume that they did the engineering studies, etc, and got all the proper permits.

But this is STILL Florida.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Default Sinking Bridge

We are constantly told when we question the security of the gates that we cannot deny entrance as our street are public streets maintained by the taxpayers of Sumter County.Morse Boulevard is a public road.Why then should only Village residents pay for repairs to a public road?
Old 02-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Sage

I wonder if there is an agreement between TV and Sumter Cnty regarding responsibility division for issues like this?
Old 02-06-2015, 02:31 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargee View Post
We are constantly told when we question the security of the gates that we cannot deny entrance as our street are public streets maintained by the taxpayers of Sumter County.Morse Boulevard is a public road.Why then should only Village residents pay for repairs to a public road?
It is not the street or the bridge that is in need of repairs, it is the land beneath the bridge, which is owned by the district, which is sinking and needs shored up.

This work has a price tag of between $500,000 and $1.5 million. Only those districts south of CR466 (Districts 5 through 11) will be required to pay for the work.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
It is not the street or the bridge that is in need of repairs, it is the land beneath the bridge, which is owned by the district, which is sinking and needs shored up.

This work has a price tag of between $500,000 and $1.5 million. Only those districts south of CR466 (Districts 5 through 11) will be required to pay for the work.

This is a very different situation. When a government (Sumter Cnty) owns a roadway I believe it typically owns land to the sides, land below, and air above that roadway. This is why I believe there is some agreement in place with TV regarding differentiation of responsibility.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
This is a very different situation. When a government (Sumter Cnty) owns a roadway I believe it typically owns land to the sides, land below, and air above that roadway. This is why I believe there is some agreement in place with TV regarding differentiation of responsibility.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Sage

Didn't anyone actually read the article??? Here it is. Emphasis added by me.

Quote:
Remediation work to the land on which the Lake Sumter Bridge stands could cost from $500,000 to $1.5 million, according to a Villages official.

Director of District Property Management Sam Wartinbee told members of the Project Wide Advisory Committee Monday morning that he is still gathering information on the upcoming project.

The bridge itself is structurally sound, but the "island" which connects the two sections of the bridge has been eroding over time, said PWAC Chairman Peter Moeller.

The bridge is owned by Sumter County. The land is owned by the District.

The costs of the repair will be shared by residents of Community Development Districts south of County Road 466.

PWAC will eventually decide the type of repair that will be pursued.
Attached is an aerial view. Note the island.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	MorseBridge.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	47504  
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.