Bridge parking

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Bridge parking

My wife and I went over to the bridge last night to watch the sun set first time in 6 years and I am amazed the rudness of villages people. Lady was setting in an open parking place in a lawn chair saving a space for someone. Then someone else had 4 spaces blocked. Not the first time I have seen this but I can see it at a restaurant but not on public streets. This is not the friendliest town in Florida. But then I guss you have people like that every where. First come first serve I dont think that applies in this case.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 AM
Sage

Is there any room along there to park off in the grass? (I can't remember.)

Bill
Old 03-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Gold member

North of the parking area on Friday night we saw a golf cart - looked possible. Brought guests there Friday night on our way to Katie Belle's to see Rocky & the Rollers. Got about the last parking space.

Kind of hard to exit - you are right, some rude people, 2 of them about had a face-off, both seeming to refuse to yield - people exiting both ways and cars parked parallel along the curb behind the golf cart parking made for a narrow area, really only room for one cart at a time.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
My wife and I went over to the bridge last night to watch the sun set first time in 6 years and I am amazed the rudness of villages people. Lady was setting in an open parking place in a lawn chair saving a space for someone. Then someone else had 4 spaces blocked. Not the first time I have seen this but I can see it at a restaurant but not on public streets. This is not the friendliest town in Florida. But then I guss you have people like that every where. First come first serve I dont think that applies in this case.
You are so correct, but the only person you personally can control is you. Don't let it upset you. Life is too short to ruin your day on such people. After-all it's not the end of the world. Pull off in the grass on the north side of the bridge for another view point.

If you are dead serious about this I guess you could contact Community Watch and/or Customer Service, but I really think it's a waste of time.

Xavier
Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Sage
Default Bridge parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
North of the parking area on Friday night we saw a golf cart - looked possible. Brought guests there Friday night on our way to Katie Belle's to see Rocky & the Rollers. Got about the last parking space.

Kind of hard to exit - you are right, some rude people, 2 of them about had a face-off, both seeming to refuse to yield - people exiting both ways and cars parked parallel along the curb behind the golf cart parking made for a narrow area, really only room for one cart at a time.
Possibly those folks had a few pre-sunset cold ones and it made them ornery.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default And please do not lump all the rest of TVers that do

the right thing in with the rude/nasty/boneheads. There is always going to be those who act as though rules are for the other people and not for them.

btk
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
This is not the friendliest town in Florida. But then I guss you have people like that every where. First come first serve I dont think that applies in this case.
I had a visitor comment on that recently. After witnessing a few acts of outright rudeness and selfishness, she asked me how TV got the name of "Florida's Friendliest Hometown".
I told her that in my opinion it was a marketing gimmick. Folks are folks. You have some good'uns and some stinkers wherever you go. It's just that sometimes TV seems to have more than its share of stinkers. Other times I'm amazed at how friendly and helpful people are. Just how you hit it, I guess.

Last edited by bluedog103; 03-14-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
I had a visitor comment on that recently. After witnessing a few acts of outright rudeness and selfishness, she asked me how TV got the name of "Florida's Friendliest Hometown".
I told her that in my opinion it was a marketing gimmick. Folks are folks. You have some good'uns and some stinkers wherever you go. It's just that sometimes TV seems to have more than its share of stinkers. Other times I'm amazed at how friendly and helpful people are. Just how you hit it, I guess.
It's called a Sense of Entitlement. It starts at the top and works it's way down! It goes along with the culture of the rich getting the breaks and the benefits of their governmental leanings.

I R not one!

Xavier
Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
It's called a Sense of Entitlement. It starts at the top and works it's way down! It goes along with the culture of the rich getting the breaks and the benefits of their governmental leanings.

I R not one!

Xavier
Xavier. We never disagree but I have to disagree on this one. It doesn't have anything to do with having money or not having money. It has a lot to do with not caring about others. And doing unto others and all that stuff.

I R not one either. (Rich) Unless you are counting Sweetie and Helene.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Platinum member

No scientific basis but I have a feeling there is a correlation between money and egocentricity and the rudeness and lack of caring that goes along with that. Of course there are exceptions to every rule as we well know.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Veteran member

If the spaces being "saved" were the only ones available, I would have politely asked them to move aside as I backed my cart into one of the spaces. If there were other available spaces, I would have just used one of those. You also could park your cart directly in front of the one saving spaces, get out your lawn chair, and set it in the grassy area. That cart would then just have to wait until you leave after the sun has set. Just do everything with a smile and it will be fine. Or a big smile and say "No comprehendo Ingles". Actually, there is a lot of grassy area to park your cart on for a great view of sunsets which is the best idea to do if all spaces are taken or "reserved".

I have seen several chairs being looped together with rope for popular venues like Rocky & Rollers at Lake Sumter. Usually, the people get there on time and there is no problem. However, if it is a capacity crowd, and no one has taken the chairs during the first number or two, most of the time someone will untie them and take some of the "saved seats". I have seen no big arguements about that happening from anyone.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
If the spaces being "saved" were the only ones available, I would have politely asked them to move aside as I backed my cart into one of the spaces. If there were other available spaces, I would have just used one of those. You also could park your cart directly in front of the one saving spaces, get out your lawn chair, and set it in the grassy area. That cart would then just have to wait until you leave after the sun has set. Just do everything with a smile and it will be fine. Or a big smile and say "No comprehendo Ingles".

I have seen several chairs being looped together with rope for popular venues like Rocky & Rollers at Lake Sumter. Usually, the people get there on time and there is no problem. However, if it is a capacity crowd, and no one has taken the chairs during the first number or two, most of the time someone will untie them and take some of the "saved seats". I have seen no big arguements about that happening from anyone.
This works best if you are 6'9" weigh 250-300 lbs. and have a sweatshirt that says..............................

Fill in the blank.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
These are the same people who on a cruise will leave items on deck chairs by the pool all day so they can come back to them in between visits to the buffet or their room or who knows where. Heck with anyone else who like to spend a few minutes in the sun or shade by the pool. You see boorish selfish people everywhere.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Xavier. We never disagree but I have to disagree on this one. It doesn't have anything to do with having money or not having money. It has a lot to do with not caring about others. And doing unto others and all that stuff.

I R not one either. (Rich) Unless you are counting Sweetie and Helene.
It is Sweetie and Helene who are rich just having you. Well, I guess we'll all rich in that sense. I guess I probably was using an awfully broad brush. I'll take a ruler across my knuckles. Ouch, that hurts!

Xavier
Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This works best if you are 6'9" weigh 250-300 lbs. and have a sweatshirt that says..............................

Fill in the blank.
..........and have a sweatshirt that says, "I know graciegirl, pturner, and redwitch - don't MAKE me call them!"

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.