Bridgeport at Lake Sumter Gate Changes

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-26-2020, 01:44 PM
Flatlander Flatlander is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Maryland and St. Charles
Posts: 25
Thanks: 4
Thanked 9 Times in 1 Post
Default Bridgeport at Lake Sumter Gate Changes

Traveling on the golf cart path today approaching the entrance to Bridgeport at Lake Sumter the cart in front of me started to cross the street, Ternberry Forrest Drive, as a vehicle exiting Bridgeport approached the gate. The exiting vehicle approached the gate and slowed but never stopped, however the gate opened immediately. The cart had not cleared the roadway so the exiting vehicle laid on the horn. I was amazed at how quickly the gate opened as there had previously been a short delay in the gate opening when a vehicle approached, part of the fix to the ongoing traffic problems at that gate. As I passed across the exit road I noticed that the gate barrier has been shortened, allowing room for a golf cart to exit without having to stop. Wondering why the changes have been made, making this once again a dangerous intersection. Please be aware of these changes and take the appropriate precautions when crossing this intersection.
  #2  
Old 06-26-2020, 04:05 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,268
Thanks: 2
Thanked 909 Times in 460 Posts
Default

The signs for golf carts are STOP and YIELD. Problem fixed.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #3  
Old 06-27-2020, 07:46 AM
champion6's Avatar
champion6 champion6 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 4,851
Thanks: 1
Thanked 288 Times in 141 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The signs for golf carts are STOP and YIELD. Problem fixed.

The use of common sense makes this a safe intersection.
Thanks for your Heads Up.
  #4  
Old 06-28-2020, 04:18 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 5,606
Thanks: 1,529
Thanked 741 Times in 377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Traveling on the golf cart path today approaching the entrance to Bridgeport at Lake Sumter the cart in front of me started to cross the street, Ternberry Forrest Drive, as a vehicle exiting Bridgeport approached the gate. The exiting vehicle approached the gate and slowed but never stopped, however the gate opened immediately. The cart had not cleared the roadway so the exiting vehicle laid on the horn. I was amazed at how quickly the gate opened as there had previously been a short delay in the gate opening when a vehicle approached, part of the fix to the ongoing traffic problems at that gate. As I passed across the exit road I noticed that the gate barrier has been shortened, allowing room for a golf cart to exit without having to stop. Wondering why the changes have been made, making this once again a dangerous intersection. Please be aware of these changes and take the appropriate precautions when crossing this intersection.
AHIP. Enough said.
  #5  
Old 06-28-2020, 04:26 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,268
Thanks: 2
Thanked 909 Times in 460 Posts
Default

Ahip?
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #6  
Old 06-28-2020, 06:01 PM
John41 John41 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 358 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Traveling on the golf cart path today approaching the entrance to Bridgeport at Lake Sumter the cart in front of me started to cross the street, Ternberry Forrest Drive, as a vehicle exiting Bridgeport approached the gate. The exiting vehicle approached the gate and slowed but never stopped, however the gate opened immediately. The cart had not cleared the roadway so the exiting vehicle laid on the horn. I was amazed at how quickly the gate opened as there had previously been a short delay in the gate opening when a vehicle approached, part of the fix to the ongoing traffic problems at that gate. As I passed across the exit road I noticed that the gate barrier has been shortened, allowing room for a golf cart to exit without having to stop. Wondering why the changes have been made, making this once again a dangerous intersection. Please be aware of these changes and take the appropriate precautions when crossing this intersection.
The whole justification for gates was to increase golf cart safety so this is a hazard that needs to be fixed by requiring cars to come to a full stop.
I would call community watch as I think a private company maintains the gates. When we had a golf cart this was always a dangerous and uncomfortable intersection.
  #7  
Old 06-28-2020, 07:33 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,268
Thanks: 2
Thanked 909 Times in 460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
The whole justification for gates was to increase golf cart safety so this is a hazard that needs to be fixed by requiring cars to come to a full stop.
I would call community watch as I think a private company maintains the gates. When we had a golf cart this was always a dangerous and uncomfortable intersection.
Which gates actually cause a complete stop? More don’t than do.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #8  
Old 06-28-2020, 08:09 PM
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 1,914
Thanks: 602
Thanked 1,312 Times in 443 Posts
Default

I go worried when I read the thread title that they put back those dam back jarring speed bumps.
  #9  
Old 06-29-2020, 07:55 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 5,606
Thanks: 1,529
Thanked 741 Times in 377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I go worried when I read the thread title that they put back those dam back jarring speed bumps.
Speed bumps need to be on the street not the cart path.
Reply

Tags
gate, cart, vehicle, approached, exiting

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.