British car repair

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 05-02-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
From someone who drove a Dagenham Dustbin!!
Agree, the only thing I couldn’t fix myself cause I didn’t have welder. Friend had Mini Cooper MK it was blast.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usrjdic View Post
Glenn’s is a great shop, but they are usually booked out 3-4 months. You should join The British Motoring Club here in The Villages. We have a great mechanic in our club that can give advise and our Goal is to keep our cars in the road and not in the garage!
I will! When does the club meet again?
Old 05-02-2021, 03:56 PM

I had a Spitfire. Ran great for a couple of years. Then, one day smoke came out from under the hood. I popped the hood and saw a white-hot wire burning in a bundle. I found a rag and tore the wire out. When I quit sweating, I got back in the car. Started up. All the gauges worked. All the lights worked. Just like nothing had ever happened. I drove it for several more years and without a problem. I had to give it up when my first child was born. Twenty years later it was time to get back in. I ran right down to the British Layland dealer. Oops...

The only modern car with the same feel is the Miata.

BTW driving a small British car is the most fun you can have with all of your clothes on.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:42 PM
Sage
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvtlm View Post
It's a carburetor issue. Plus possibly an air leak somewhere. It idles around 2500 rpm's!

Carburetor’s have internal check balls, if left out can cause vacuum leak. (how do I know this? When I was 18 I rebuilt my first autolite 4100, found small ball bearing in the clean up pan, I looked at the parts break down with kit and it didn’t show it. I had to get repair manual to find out where it went, symptoms was similar to you’re’ s)

Any shop with experience on carburetor’s, ( side drafts??) should be able to rebuild the carburetor after they diagnose the problem (not intake manifold leak, vacuum hose broken, cracked, fell off, or even cracked intake manifold?
Old 05-02-2021, 09:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usrjdic View Post
Glenn’s is a great shop, but they are usually booked out 3-4 months. You should join The British Motoring Club here in The Villages. We have a great mechanic in our club that can give advise and our Goal is to keep our cars in the road and not in the garage!
Which one is Glenn's
Old 05-03-2021, 07:56 AM

There is an auto repair shop in Leesburg that does work on foreign cars. Sorry, don’t remember the name. I’m sure you can Google it.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:06 AM

Many of your posts are making me feel really lucky. I owned a 1979 MGB for a few years and never had to touch it.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:09 AM

Two of the best days of my life was the day I bought my 2005 Lotus Elise - and the day I sold it. When not in the shop, it was like driving a shifter-kart.

Tags
british, car, repair, glens, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.