broken secuity gates!

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default broken secuity gates!

Repairman fixed for the umpteeeenth time the gate at Del Mar and 15 minutes later it was broken again.....What is up with the gates?.....The ole' boy thinks they should put a big spring in the gate arms that allows you to go threw but snaps back and hits you in the butt for being "stupid".....Surely there is a better solution than this, got any ideas?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Default Not on a spring!!!

Don't put them on a spring! They should make the gate out of old railroad rails! The word gets out folks will have much more respect for the gate and will stop the practice of cramming the back of another car to sneak thru without the gate coming down and crushing ur car!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Default gate lenght

The gate you are referring to has been lengthened per new new Florida law. It used to be short enough for a golf cart to get through without tripping it. Question to local residents. Are you running through it on purpose because you are mad of the change?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Platinum member
Default Question

What's the hurry?
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 06-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Gold member

Is there even a reason for these gates, anyway?! The expense involved seems to greatly outweigh the usage; especially when pushing the button gets the gate to open regardless of who rings it. Afterall, the roads are public and The Villages is not a secured community.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

if there is a camera at this gate, why can't someone figure out who is responsible for breaking it? we could have a poster board at the mail stations of the 10 most wanted drivers in the villages!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Veteran member

In today's Sun, the AAC approved new HD camera's at DelMar and a gate in Chatham. They'll probably catch more of the perpatrators.

A couple of months ago, one of the papers (POA OR VHA OR SUN) mentioned that they did ID something like 8 of 10 violators and charged them the sum of repair.

I use that gate probably twice a day every day and just don't understand why anyone would just not push the button. Of course I do see alot of people waiving their card at the wrong place trying to open it - may be some frustration there.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 06-10-2011, 02:02 PM
KittyKat
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by aln View Post
Of course I do see alot of people waiving their card at the wrong place trying to open it - may be some frustration there.
That was me yesterday! Has been awhile since I've come back south from SS area through that gate so I was waving my card at the help box wondering why the gate wouldn't open when I noticed that the correct "entry pad" was up above the help box. Has it always been up that high?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 PM

the gates are absolutely frustrating!! Some work and some don't. Somtimes they work in the morning but not in the afternoon. I have 3 vehicles of various weights that may or may not register with the sensor and allow the card to work. The techology is well advanced beyond the point that this should be a continuing problem....maybe we need to hire someone from SunPass to fix this????
Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Sage

Hmmm. We've had Watergate, IranContragate, Monicagate, nannygate, sextinggate, and all manner of other scandalgates. I guess it's time for gategate.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hmmm. We've had Watergate, IranContragate, Monicagate, nannygate, sextinggate, and all manner of other scandalgates. I guess it's time for gategate.
Fixdagate?

Bill
Old 06-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
if there is a camera at this gate, why can't someone figure out who is responsible for breaking it? we could have a poster board at the mail stations of the 10 most wanted drivers in the villages!
I was told buy a villages employee, that the cameras do take the photo, but golf carts don't have tags, or something to research, so unless they actually see the cart going through again, it is a lost cause.

My insurance company says that as long as the gates are there to stop traffic, it is considered to be more secure and is gated. I agree the buttons should be taken away, if people can't remember to carry t heir cards they should have to go to the next gate with a nice warm body to let them in. But then some people will just go through it and bust it up. Wish I had the gate concession. I agree with the guy that said put a heavy metal gate in that cannot be so easily broken and will do damage to a car, people will think twice then.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
the gates are absolutely frustrating!! Some work and some don't. Sometimes they work in the morning but not in the afternoon. I have 3 vehicles of various weights that may or may not register with the sensor and allow the card to work. The technology is well advanced beyond the point that this should be a continuing problem....maybe we need to hire someone from SunPass to fix this????
Tom, I have never had an issue with the gate not opening, except when the card was damaged. I drive different size cars, and a golf cart and hubby rides a bike. The card has nothing to do with the size/weight of the car, only the coding inside the card. Maybe there is something wrong with your card!?!?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Gold member

I have used this gate (Del Mar) often and learned that you do not need a gate card. Just a push of the buttom will open the gate and there is no voice interaction required anymore.

Maybe a push of the button is asking too much for folks in a rush.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Sage
Default There's some fun in this somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Fixdagate?

Bill
Good one. Apparently they've tried that though and it didn't work. I think the barcode on our new Villages IDs should open the gate with no need for an extra card. Seriously.

Not seriously: If someone doesn't have an ID card, it should go something like this:

Driver: (pushes button)
Wizard of Ozgate: Who goes there?
Driver: I'm Sam. Sam I am.
Wizard: Villager or Visitor?
Driver: Visitor
Wizard: Friend or Foe?
Driver: Friend
Wizard: Do you need directions to your destination?
Driver: No, no, just let me through.
Wizard: Do you know the password?
Driver: Um, is it, 'It's a beautiful day in the Villages'?
Wizard: Carry on.
Gate: (opens)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.