Brownwood town square theater is permanently closed

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2023, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Now that is interesting.

They should turn it into a dance hall. Kind of like Katie Belles.
Yes, because that was such a money maker...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-02-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here we go again.

One would think the topic has been covered?

Brownwood Cinema Suggestions 90 posts

Barnstorm Theatre - Brownwood 135 posts

Movie Theater Mismanagement by Developer 175 posts
Not everyone here is as on top of every topic as you. This is a place for nice, friendly people to ask questions and share ideas with people who used to be grade-school bullies trying to shame people. I will make a point of rehashing numerous old topics and you can respond... React by stealing my lunch money

Thank you for the question about the theater- it was a new topic to me.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:42 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
It's for the benefit of Villagers when it makes money for the developer. They are out to make money no return on investment they are within their rights to close a venue.
Yep, that's the sad sad story of what happens when we come to "look" for a community and are boggled over with the outstanding a VERY affordable health club, the indoor swimming pool, the beautiful country club with the spa and lunch service around the pool, the three VERY "affordable" theaters with first run films, and then you "blink", and those compelling things that made you actually think they would be permanent...and they are GONE. Gone to private "health clubs" that make MONEY, gone when the land becomes more valuable than providing a good, affordable, life for retirees. Illusions we WANT to see, want to believe, like "gates", and gate "ambassadors" we perceive as keeping us "safe" from "outside" grifters, at our doors constantly. Has anyone ever lived in community where they were daily having their door bell rang by complete strangers (some of them not so "honest" appearing, and many who do not have credentials of any kind, insurance, are not registered with the state, etc. etc.) ? Fortunately, everything is censored here so people never see the daily police blotter in the daily paper (like every other newspaper has as a daily part of their format !). Does our paper even HAVE a crime beat reporter ? Not good that people are not even aware just how much goes on inside this "gated" community. People become "sitting ducks", but then, many have come for other seriously dangerous big cities, so perhaps they are better able to accept the crime ?
Old 02-02-2023, 06:54 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
It's for the benefit of Villagers when it makes money for the developer. They are out to make money no return on investment they are within their rights to close a venue.
Yes, they are of course. But I think the important distinction is, when an individual or family chooses a location to buy a home, they KNOW that the town or city could experience the closing of any business at any time. When they consider what is presented as a "planned/private community", and they are shown the amenities included such as movie theaters, indoor swimming pools, clubs, "resident only" clubs, all those dazzling sights on the "tour", a community "church on the square" (HOW can a lovely non denominational church MAKE MONEY, but what a lovely community asset, until turning it into a entertainment venue with a bar, etc. makes MORE MONEY. People say to those who expected these assets, "so if you don't like it... MOVE !". I think that is probably the wrong way to view the situation. People have a reasonable expectation that the compelling things they are show will NOT be whisk away if they do not make MONEY, such as a community church. It is a "bait & switch", but it's true that the resident's "hands are tied". Not much a person can do after they have invested, no guarantees ! Just a "legal" but questionable business "practice" !
Old 02-03-2023, 12:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I don't believe the Developer operates the theater, they own the building and rent it to the operator who as I remember, operated all three theaters. If the operator cannot or will not meet their obligations the Developer can cancel/void the agreement under terms of the rental out clauses. When things close, it's usually because the person operating the business is not successful, either through mismanagement or changing market conditions impact.
That might not be it at all. the Developer owns and runs Lazy Macs and the comedy club at the Old Mill, why wouldn't they run the theater too?
Old 02-03-2023, 04:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
If it doesn’t make money for the Developer, IT MEANS THE RESIDENTS ARE NOT USING THE AMENITY AND SPENDING MONEY ON IT.

Personally, I would rather they re purpose it into something we will all use. The new Blondies is a great idea.

I don’t recall one post here saying, “we need another bar at Spanish Springs”. What I actually read, was the Developer is only interested in the new area and not spending any money in the historic area.

But I bet it will be stunning. And I bet most of us will drive up to see it.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_lecki View Post
if it doesn’t make money for the developer, it means the residents are not using the amenity and spending money on it.

Personally, i would rather they re purpose it into something we will all use. The new blondies is a great idea.

I don’t recall one post here saying, “we need another bar at spanish springs”. What i actually read, was the developer is only interested in the new area and not spending any money in the historic area.

But i bet it will be stunning. And i bet most of us will drive up to see it.
as you say, the developer requires a profit, so a 16 unit 4 floor condo development with balconies is not out of the question ?
Old 02-03-2023, 04:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

"Thevillages.com" website still includes the following incorrect information:

"Movie Theaters
You can enjoy all the blockbuster favorites and cinematic classics at the three movie theaters located in each of the town squares in The Villages community!
Our modern, multi-screen movie theaters are the perfect choice for date night, a cool, relaxing afternoon or evening, or good times with the family."

I have asked them to correct the misleading information, but they ignored me. This information has not been accurate in years.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldseries27 View Post
as you say, the developer requires a profit, so a 16 unit 4 floor condo development with balconies is not out of the question ?
Possible, but not likely. It’s too close to the square, for a condo to be marketable.

It seems the concept of the indoor food court at Sawgrass might make sense, with an outdoor bar, similar to what was announced at SS.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
If it doesn’t make money for the Developer, IT MEANS THE RESIDENTS ARE NOT USING THE AMENITY AND SPENDING MONEY ON IT.
That is just not true. It can be, and often is, making money for the Developer but the Developer thinks they can make MORE money by doing things differently. And they don't give a flying $@#^ about the residents, it's all about the $$. As others have said, we purchased here, had reasonable expectations about the amenities available, and yet the Developer can change them at whim. Look at the folks who purchased homes near Hacienda. They don't even have a country club anymore. No swimming pool, restaurant, etc. Do you think that helped their home values? That place was always a hot spot and a money maker. In fairness to the residents they should have replaced it.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Platinum member
Default A bridge too far

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
"thevillages.com" website still includes the following incorrect information:

"movie theaters
you can enjoy all the blockbuster favorites and cinematic classics at the three movie theaters located in each of the town squares in the villages community!
Our modern, multi-screen movie theaters are the perfect choice for date night, a cool, relaxing afternoon or evening, or good times with the family."

i have asked them to correct the misleading information, but they ignored me. This information has not been accurate in years.
just ask them to amend it to " you cannot enjoy anymore"
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-02-03-04-53-08-19_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	96735  
Old 02-03-2023, 05:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
That is just not true. It can be, and often is, making money for the Developer but the Developer thinks they can make MORE money by doing things differently. And they don't give a flying $@#^ about the residents, it's all about the $$. As others have said, we purchased here, had reasonable expectations about the amenities available, and yet the Developer can change them at whim. Look at the folks who purchased homes near Hacienda. They don't even have a country club anymore. No swimming pool, restaurant, etc. Do you think that helped their home values? That place was always a hot spot and a money maker. In fairness to the residents they should have replaced it.
Except the Spanish Springs video that was released yesterday said they are adding a club house, brand new pool, rec center and walking trail where HH club house was. So the prop values of those near HH just went up again.
See how that works.

If they didn’t give a “flying $@#^ about the residents“ - they wouldn’t invest at all in SS, LSL or BW - they would leave it alone, let it get tired. They do the opposite, the constantly refresh and try new ideas.

Look in the south. houses are selling like hot cakes, what the Developer should do, is not build all those new golf courses they are planning, build a few of them, and convert the golf courses to home sites. Why build a second bridge over the turnpike? One is enough.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:07 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_lecki View Post
except the spanish springs video that was released yesterday said they are adding a club house, brand new pool, rec center and walking trail where hh club house was. So the prop values of those near hh just went up again.
See how that works.

If they didn’t give a “flying $@#^ about the residents“ - they wouldn’t invest at all in ss, lsl or bw - they would leave it alone, let it get tired. They do the opposite, the constantly refresh and try new ideas.

Look in the south. Houses are selling like hot cakes, what the developer should do, is not build all those new golf courses they are planning, build a few of them, and convert the golf courses to home sites. Why build a second bridge over the turnpike? One is enough.
i live south of 44. The new bexley trail bridge will allow the residents of those west of the turnpike, who in the future will be several thousand homes, to connect to meggison road and go south to connect to the ftp saving them miles and time to points south
Old 02-03-2023, 06:18 AM

How shameful. You purchased a property because certain amenities and then shut one out. We are movie goers and we found ourself traveling to Leesburg every week. There, we constantly cross pass with Villagers. As the developers keep building south I’m sure the number of customers would increase. Well, another loss.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:46 AM
Default Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
You did. Turning into an indoor dog park. (Trolling a new rumor to see if anyone bites.😊)
Nope, it has been sold to COSTCO
It is going to be a COSTCO, expected opening is in August 2023

Tags
square, theater, permanently, closed, brownwood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.