Buffalo

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Gold member
Default Buffalo

Where oh where are the buffalo? We've been here since '05 and I really do miss them. Does anyone know exactly why they were removed and replaced with steer? I've heard that people were injured by them while petting/feeding and ignoring the warning sign. Sigh . I'm sure there were threads on this but I'd like it anew as would newbies.
The buffalo were a delight to Villagers and guests alike.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Sage

Last I knew they can be seen from Amberwood executive golf course. They are off to the right of the 6th hole if I remember the course right.

This is a picture from when they were on Old Mill.
The Villages Florida

I miss having them roaming also. It was just one more thing that made the experience of TV unique.

I have no idea the real story, but heard two rumors at golf courses, bars, etc:

1. Someone was injured and sued.
2. Morse had someone sue so he could put up houses where the buffalo roamed.

Last edited by ajbrown; 03-16-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: changed font, spelling issue
Old 03-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Sage

After seeing some ridiculous behavior around the critters, I tend to believe #1, AJ.

On the northbound cart path before it goes under 466, I saw a grandfather hoist his small grandchild up and over the fence with a carrot for the buffalo. I couldn't help thinking at the time if he would sue Morse if he dropped the kid into the corral and he was injured or killed.

Where Creekside homes are located, I saw people sticking their hands through the fence with things for the buffalo. People climbing on the fence to get closer.

Just because they were in TV, people seemed to think they were somehow domesticated and tranquil. They certainly were tranquil if you left them alone!!!

I agree that there are buffalo near Amberwood. Don't know if they are the ones that were here or not. But it is nice to see them, even if from a long distance.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Buffalo

Don't know if they're the same ones or not but I saw a herd on North side of Rt44 W/O Rt 468 last week.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I think the buffalo are unfortunately all residing at Publix now
Old 03-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Buffalo

It was my understanding that they were moved to Wildwood? I doubt you will see the bison roaming in the TV anymore for the same reason they were moved in the first place. The Developer is going to build homes, etc on every empty lot in TV. Unless it is designated as protected by Florida he build something on it.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Platinum member

I asked Redwitch this question a while back. She sent me a long and accurate explaination. I might have it saved in my private messages. If Redwitch give permission, I will repost it for all of you.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

seems like you could have posted the explanation and not quoted the source,...gn
Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Platinum member

I'd rather not post the information without running it by Dee first.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I gave Tom permission to post it. I'd copy and post, but I'm too tired and lazy. However, do understand that what I told Tom is based on my opinion given the facts that I do know and should not be taken as gospel but probably pretty darn good conjecture.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Buffalo

Tom, redwitch gives us an explanation so we don't feel guilty about the fact that we may have purchased the poor critters from Publix.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Platinum member
Default Disappearing Buffalo

I don't want to keep everyone in suspense any longer. This is Redwitch's explanation about the mystery of the disappearing buffalo. Remember this is her opinion and viewpoint. Although I have not been a Villager long enough to know much about anything, I have learned that when Redwitch speaks...people should listen. She knows what she is talking about.

Re: Buffalo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were a couple of lawsuits where people were injured by the buf. The kid story was is based on truth -- grandma let kid feed the buf (um, they're wild animals stupid!), then set the kid on the fence for a pic. The buf wanted more food, butted the fence, the girl fell off, got hurt, parents sued. So, the excuse is no more buf because of liability issues.

My guess is the real reason is no more buf because they'd served their purpose (great tax write off as a semi-nature preserved for endangered animals; a good advertising gimmick) and the land was more valuable as developed land than a tax write off for the Morses.

Okay, call me cynical. Now, if you ask Gracie, I'm sure she'll tell you it was the lawsuits. Hey, the kid's suit wasn't the first one and there was no issue about getting rid of them before.

BTW -- I've heard they're still around, somewhere at the end of SR 42 on VERY private property. Don't know if that's true or not, but I hope so. I truly loved those mangy critters. They got me through many a night when I first moved here.

Dee
Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

OH RED! They got you through many a night when you first moved here?

I mean, umm,..... did they call on you at your home?

And did you have a glass of wine together...

And did you talk about the world in general?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Buffalo

Tom/Dee that is exactly what happened and it did give the Developer the cover he needed to move the bison to Wildwood. His original plan called for houses on both sides of Sumter Landing. Being the businessman that he is the bison served as an attraction until he built out around Sumter Landing. The homes built in Sumter Landing changed the view dramatically. That area of Buena Vista was inviting until he built there.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Tom/Dee that is exactly what happened and it did give the Developer the cover he needed to move the bison to Wildwood. His original plan called for houses on both sides of Sumter Landing. Being the businessman that he is the bison served as an attraction until he built out around Sumter Landing. The homes built in Sumter Landing changed the view dramatically. That area of Buena Vista was inviting until he built there.
I've always heard about the buffalo but wasn't yet at TV. I have some questions, now that the issue was raised again.
  • Did the developer promise to keep the buffalo?
  • Was it part of his original development plan to eventually build around LSL?
  • Why would the developer have relocated buffalo before he was ready to build where they roamed? Why would he have needed a fake excuse to relocate them when he began building around LSL?
I'm always a little amused when someone faults a developer for developing his property. Isn't that what developers do?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.