bugs

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Veteran member
Default bugs

Must be the season...."no seeums" and "love-bugs have arrived! If you're new be sure you keep the car, truck and golf-cart cleaned off as the love-bugs will take the finish off!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
Must be the season...."no seeums" and "love-bugs have arrived! If you're new be sure you keep the car, truck and golf-cart cleaned off as the love-bugs will take the finish off!
I think it is early for Love Bugs - hope they are gone by 5/21 when we return.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I think it is early for Love Bugs - hope they are gone by 5/21 when we return.
It's early but they're definitely here. Both yesterday and today they were hovering and flying just above our lawn, mostly single but appearing to try to "hook up". I'm assuming they're in the process of hatching out of the ground. If all I've seen is any indication, it's going to be a bad season.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
I won't be in TV for this bug season, but I'm courious. If we can't physically do what's needed to keep the vehicles cleaned off without running to a car wash, what are the other options? Also, how often do they need to be cleaned off? Bug'd minds want to know!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
I won't be in TV for this bug season, but I'm courious. If we can't physically do what's needed to keep the vehicles cleaned off without running to a car wash, what are the other options? Also, how often do they need to be cleaned off? Bug'd minds want to know!
My advice is to wet a dryer softener paper and wash them off with that.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Default no see ums???

Is that the creatures who assaulted me during the whole time I was playing golf today? Really irritating. Any type of spray that will keep them off of me?

From Liberty, MO
Old 04-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachnmo View Post
Is that the creatures who assaulted me during the whole time I was playing golf today? Really irritating. Any type of spray that will keep them off of me?
Just continue to hope and pray they don't think you are another bug. They have lascivious intentions.

Dirty minded little critters!! Rent a room!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Just continue to hope and pray they don't think you are another bug. They have lascivious intentions.

Dirty minded little critters!! Rent a room!

We always hear there are no bugs in TV, now we all know of the Love Bug thing but the above is saying ...."no seeums" and "love-bugs". I guess we have been lucky I have not had a problem with no seeums, what area are they talking about???

aj
Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Sage

Love bugs can be seen. They are about beetle sized and well, they mate in mid air. EVERYWHERE. And since they are NOT paying attention to where they are flying they get squished on your car windows and hood etc. You need to get them off soon, because their bug juice will hurt the car. They are here until their mating season is over and then they go somewhere else to have their children or to cool off or whatever they do...after the mating season. It seems like forever but it is only a few weeks.

Gracie
not an entomologist.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Info on Love Bugs.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...Love.Bugs.html

And info on no-see-ums
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/...ing_midges.htm

Enjoy.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

We began to see the "no-see-ums" at Colony pool but they seem to be everywhere...even at the house now.

Heard that the "Lovebugs" are hard to deal with...no spray will affect them so they're to be "tolerated" til their cycle is done.

For the most part...bugs aren't a factor here however it's told that T.V. sprays and the rest of us have "bug man" come to eradicate whatever there is at our homes! So kind of misnomer that we don't have the critters.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

I have only seen a couple of love bugs flying around The VIllages this week. I have not noticed any no-see-ums at all in The Villages ever.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
I have only seen a couple of love bugs flying around The VIllages this week. I have not noticed any no-see-ums at all in The Villages ever.
I haven't either if they are the ones that bite. I am a huge attraction to bugs who bite and I have NEVER been bitten in TV.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Most helpful! Thanks for sharing. We use to call them I-10 bugs, because years ago we never saw them until just north of I-10. Were so thick one year I had to stop every 5 miles to clean the windshield and front grille. Luckily I had a tire brush, a roll of paper towels and windex in the car. Now with the hurricanes several years ago, the rascals are as far North as Montgomery. They are a pain and thanks to your links I know a lot more about the two irritating bugs.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Veteran member

Maybe you are getting Love Bugs and No-See-ums confused. The Love Bugs do not bite. They are just a nuisance and do mess up your car when you run into them. Their body juices are acidic and will damage paint if not taken off.

The No-See-ums are so tiny you cannot see them. They are just pinpoint sized black specks that bite terribly. The itching stays for a few days. I have only noticed them in South Florida by Sanibel and that is only during the early morning hours and dusk hours. They really go after the ankles.

I don't know what you have had at Colony pool but if you can see them, they are NOT No-See-ums.

Deep Woods Off is the best repellent, though, if you are bothered by biting insects.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.