The Building of Brownwood - Latest

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
Went to see a movie in SS and then Rocky and the Rollers.MANY seats roped off or saved somehow by noon! Couldn't move in the square but had front row for R&R. Folks came in at 5:00 looking for chairs....yeah riiiiiiight

Folks leaning on the ashtrays yelled at smokers trying to use them...tempers were high

Come on April!!!!!!
You are so right! April can't come quick enough. This snowbird season has been the worst of the last three. You basically can do not do much anywhere around TV from 5-8 at night, unless you want a wait and feel like a sardine. Also first time regularly being turned down for a Tee Time. Not to mention traffic!!!!
Army Guy
Old 02-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lis View Post
Really, hurry! Last Friday night at the square was absurd.
Most nights are that way now. I believe it has reached the point where it is a big negative that folks see on lifestyle visits. Gridlock is now very much a part of TV life.
Army Guy
Old 02-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Gold member

Come on, maybe a few nights with R.R. are playing. Quit blaming the snowbirds,they have rights here.If you do not like the crowds,come on off nights.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Unhappy Too Big!!

IHMO The Villages is getting "too big!" Loosing it's mystic and charm. Roads are like driving in I75, just try to drive the speed limits within TV...You may get run over..! Great number of folks have no clue about driver etiquette either while driver a car or golf cart! And no such thing as a "fast lane!" in TV. Both lanes are the same speed limit. I really have my doubts about the building going on across 466a. Once that is done, TV, will be a good size city. In fact, if you havn't notice, TV is butting up right against the city of Wildwood. What's going to happen there??
Old 02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickedamouse24 View Post
IHMO The Villages is getting "too big!" Loosing it's mystic and charm. Roads are like driving in I75, just try to drive the speed limits within TV...You may get run over..! Great number of folks have no clue about driver etiquette either while driver a car or golf cart! And no such thing as a "fast lane!" in TV. Both lanes are the same speed limit. I really have my doubts about the building going on across 466a. Once that is done, TV, will be a good size city. In fact, if you havn't notice, TV is butting up right against the city of Wildwood. What's going to happen there??
Any positive thughts??
Old 02-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Eternal Member

We moved to the Villages in 2000. We knew then how big the Villages was going to get. I agree it can be a challenge around here when the snowbirds & renters are here, but we need them. The businesses, restaurants & employees need this high season to make money. The positive is they all leave by May 1st. & we have the place to ourselves.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickedamouse24 View Post
A lot of cities end up butting up against another city....it's called urban and suburban sprawl. I came to The Villages 13 1/2 years ago from a suburb of Portland, Me. There were 16,000 residents here then and none of us had any idea how big this place was going to be when it was finished. I have thoroughly loved watching this place grow. There was no shopping here back then, not even a store where we could buy a pair of shoes. Many, many trips were made to Ocala or Leesburg. The closest Wal-mart was the one in Leesburg. The older I get the happier I am becoming, knowing that most of my needs can be met a golf car ride away. I agree that traffic is very heavy this time of year, now that the population has grown. When I lived in Maine, trying to navigate Route 1 up the coast was a nightmare, with so many summer tourists on the roads. Many Maine residents depend on out-of-state visitors for their livelihoods, just as businesses here in Florida look to snowbirds and other winter visitors for income that will take them through the year. I don't frequent all restaurants and businesses here in The Villages, any more than I did when I lived near Portland. I went to the higher-traffic areas in the city for some of my needs and patronized stores and other businesses in my suburban area most of the time. The Villages, ending up being a city of 110,000 at build-out, doesn't bother me one iota. You and I will be living in what just might be the most beautiful city in the country, designed and created from the ground up, with fun for an older population the main focus. There will never be slums here. You can never be bored here. Will I want to make the trek from my home in the Tierra Del Sol area all the way out to Brownwood? You bet I will! What a nice few hours that will be, riding the beautiful golf cart paths all the way out and back. You are correct that some drivers aren't courteous. Others may have some sort of dementia going on. It is estimated that almost 9% of people age 70 and older have some cognitive impairment. Not every resident here is 70 or older but it is still very likely that well over 5,000-6,000 Villagers (at current population numbers) may not have a clue what to do in a roundabout. Florida has long been known for the vast number of retirees who live here. If heavy traffic in the winter months bothers you, and if drivers who aren't courteous make you mad, perhaps you might be happier somewhere else, and I mean that in a truly nice way. Have you had a serious illness yet? I have. I am a 10-year cancer survivor and I choose every day to sweep negative thoughts out of my head. I can't change anything so why worry about it? When MY feet hit the floor every morning I am just grateful to be alive, traffic or no traffic. Some things in this life are just not worth stewing over. I am not sure what you thought The Villages was going to develop into but you sound somewhat disappointed. You are living in the most unique retirement community in the world. Only 110,000 +- of us will ever live here at any one time. How fortunate we are. We are the envy of so many who wish to be here with us. Quite frankly, I will hate to see the building end. It has been an honor and it has been so exciting to be here to see all that has been created. I am still in awe of this place, even after so many years here. While I do not like the increase in traffic this time of year either, I welcome the snowbirds and other visitors to my hometown. Let's all take a deep breath and slow down. Why would you ever want a "fast lane" here? Why do any of us need to be in that much of a hurry? I don't know about anyone else but MY cup is way over half full, almost overflowing.

Last edited by VillagesFlorida; 02-11-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
A lot of cities end up butting up against another city....it's called urban and suburban sprawl. I came to The Villages 13 1/2 years ago from a suburb of Portland, Me. There were 16,000 residents here then and none of us had any idea how big this place was going to be when it was finished. I have thoroughly loved watching this place grow. There was no shopping here back then, not even a store where we could buy a pair of shoes. Many, many trips were made to Ocala or Leesburg. The closest Wal-mart was the one in Leesburg. The older I get the happier I am becoming, knowing that most of my needs can be met a golf car ride away. I agree that traffic is very heavy this time of year, now that the population has grown. When I lived in Maine, trying to navigate Route 1 up the coast was a nightmare, with so many summer tourists on the roads. Many Maine residents depend on out-of-state visitors for their livelihoods, just as businesses here in Florida look to snowbirds and other winter visitors for income that will take them through the year. I don't frequent all restaurants and businesses here in The Villages, any more than I did when I lived near Portland. I went to the higher-traffic areas in the city for some of my needs and patronized stores and other businesses in my suburban area most of the time. The Villages, ending up being a city of 110,000 at build-out, doesn't bother me one iota. You and I will be living in what just might be the most beautiful city in the country, designed and created from the ground up, with fun for an older population the main focus. There will never be slums here. You can never be bored here. Will I want to make the trek from my home in the Tierra Del Sol area all the way out to Brownwood? You bet I will! What a nice few hours that will be, riding the beautiful golf cart paths all the way out and back. You are correct that some drivers aren't courteous. Others may have some sort of dementia going on. It is estimated that almost 9% of people age 70 and older have some cognitive impairment. That translates to almost 8,000 Villagers (at current population numbers) who may not have a clue what to do in a roundabout. Florida has long been known for the vast number of retirees who live here. If heavy traffic in the winter months bothers you, and if drivers who aren't courteous make you mad, perhaps you might be happier somewhere else, and I mean that in a truly nice way. Have you had a serious illness yet? I have. I am a 10-year cancer survivor and I choose every day to sweep negative thoughts out of my head. I can't change anything so why worry about it? When MY feet hit the floor every morning I am just grateful to be alive, traffic or no traffic. Some things in this life are just not worth stewing over. I am not sure what you thought The Villages was going to develop into but you sound somewhat disappointed. You are living in the most unique retirement community in the world. Only 110,000 +- of us will ever live here at any one time. How fortunate we are. We are the envy of so many who wish to be here with us. Quite frankly, I will hate to see the building end. It has been an honor and it has been so exciting to be here to see all that has been created. I am still in awe of this place, even after so many years here. While I do not like the increase in traffic this time of year either, I welcome the snowbirds and other visitors to my hometown. Let's all take a deep breath and slow down. Why would you ever want a "fast lane" here? Why do any of us need to be in that much of a hurry? I don't know about anyone else but MY cup is way over half full, almost overflowing.
Such a positive attitude! I too was diagnosed with a serious illness (only a week ago) and your attitude is one that I hope I can carry with me every day.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
A lot of cities end up butting up against another city....it's called urban and suburban sprawl. I came to The Villages 13 1/2 years ago from a suburb of Portland, Me. There were 16,000 residents here then and none of us had any idea how big this place was going to be when it was finished. I have thoroughly loved watching this place grow. There was no shopping here back then, not even a store where we could buy a pair of shoes. Many, many trips were made to Ocala or Leesburg. The closest Wal-mart was the one in Leesburg. The older I get the happier I am becoming, knowing that most of my needs can be met a golf car ride away. I agree that traffic is very heavy this time of year, now that the population has grown. When I lived in Maine, trying to navigate Route 1 up the coast was a nightmare, with so many summer tourists on the roads. Many Maine residents depend on out-of-state visitors for their livelihoods, just as businesses here in Florida look to snowbirds and other winter visitors for income that will take them through the year. I don't frequent all restaurants and businesses here in The Villages, any more than I did when I lived near Portland. I went to the higher-traffic areas in the city for some of my needs and patronized stores and other businesses in my suburban area most of the time. The Villages, ending up being a city of 110,000 at build-out, doesn't bother me one iota. You and I will be living in what just might be the most beautiful city in the country, designed and created from the ground up, with fun for an older population the main focus. There will never be slums here. You can never be bored here. Will I want to make the trek from my home in the Tierra Del Sol area all the way out to Brownwood? You bet I will! What a nice few hours that will be, riding the beautiful golf cart paths all the way out and back. You are correct that some drivers aren't courteous. Others may have some sort of dementia going on. It is estimated that almost 9% of people age 70 and older have some cognitive impairment. That translates to almost 8,000 Villagers (at current population numbers) who may not have a clue what to do in a roundabout. Florida has long been known for the vast number of retirees who live here. If heavy traffic in the winter months bothers you, and if drivers who aren't courteous make you mad, perhaps you might be happier somewhere else, and I mean that in a truly nice way. Have you had a serious illness yet? I have. I am a 10-year cancer survivor and I choose every day to sweep negative thoughts out of my head. I can't change anything so why worry about it? When MY feet hit the floor every morning I am just grateful to be alive, traffic or no traffic. Some things in this life are just not worth stewing over. I am not sure what you thought The Villages was going to develop into but you sound somewhat disappointed. You are living in the most unique retirement community in the world. Only 110,000 +- of us will ever live here at any one time. How fortunate we are. We are the envy of so many who wish to be here with us. Quite frankly, I will hate to see the building end. It has been an honor and it has been so exciting to be here to see all that has been created. I am still in awe of this place, even after so many years here. While I do not like the increase in traffic this time of year either, I welcome the snowbirds and other visitors to my hometown. Let's all take a deep breath and slow down. Why would you ever want a "fast lane" here? Why do any of us need to be in that much of a hurry? I don't know about anyone else but MY cup is way over half full, almost overflowing.
Very well said. The Villages has developed into a wonderful place of many diverse people. A happy retirement requires tolerance, an eye out for those who may have some imparement, a willingness to help those in need, realization that errors and mistakes will be made and the recognition that we, ourselves, are not perfect and all knowing.

We bought in TV in 1996 and watched the growth in awe and have seen many wonderful improvements. However, many of the same problems that exist today were around in the late 1990's; crowded facilities in the Winter, fast carts, impared drivers (car and cart), an occasional grouch, inconsiderate dog walkers, etc, etc. (although we only had one roundabout to contend with) But, it was spread over only 14,000 - 20,000 people and no TOTV to talk daily about it.

My Granny (lived heathfully until 99 3/4) used to say "I always read the obituaries first thing in the morning, and knew if I didn't see my name it was going to be a wonderful day!"
When I fully retire I'll take up the same philosophy, but will be able to happily change it to "a wonderful day in The Villages".
Old 02-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Very well said. The Villages has developed into a wonderful place of many diverse people. A happy retirement requires tolerance, an eye out for those who may have some imparement, a willingness to help those in need, realization that errors and mistakes will be made and the recognition that we, ourselves, are not perfect and all knowing.

We bought in TV in 1996 and watched the growth in awe and have seen many wonderful improvements. However, many of the same problems that exist today were around in the late 1990's; crowded facilities in the Winter, fast carts, impared drivers (car and cart), an occasional grouch, inconsiderate dog walkers, etc, etc. (although we only had one roundabout to contend with) But, it was spread over only 14,000 - 20,000 people and no TOTV to talk daily about it.

My Granny (lived heathfully until 99 3/4) used to say "I always read the obituaries first thing in the morning, and knew if I didn't see my name it was going to be a wonderful day!"
When I fully retire I'll take up the same philosophy, but will be able to happily change it to "a wonderful day in The Villages".
All true and I love your attitude! It takes a whole lot less energy to be positive than it does to be negative. And, I am at an age where I need to conserve energy so I can keep on enjoying this fabulous place!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
VillagesFlorida -- You go girl! I love your upbeat attitude! See you on the golf cart paths in June!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
Such a positive attitude! I too was diagnosed with a serious illness (only a week ago) and your attitude is one that I hope I can carry with me every day.
cappyjon, I hope you are feeling better soon. Sending well wishes your way.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
VillagesFlorida -- You go girl! I love your upbeat attitude! See you on the golf cart paths in June!
Here I come! Yee haw!!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Default Positive is as Positive Does!

My remarks were My remarks and My remarks and thoughts only! They were not meant to be negative in any way. Just my observation(s)! Not one remark was said about being unhappy or not wanting to live here..!!! Just IMHO TV is getting Too Big!! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think! I agree it is a fabulous setting and place to live...!! The remark about a fast lane was apparently taken wrong. I was saying that the speed limit in TV is the same no matter which lane you're driving in but that does not seem to apply to a great number of folks here. I agree, we all need to slow down and take in all that TV has to offer! If any of you like the hustle and bustle of the big city, then it looks like that is what we're getting. Myself, I prefer at this point in my life to take things slow, enjoy my surroundings, enjoy each day as it is given and not go through TV as though someone set my pants on fire!! Illness, I can tell you about illness! I am a retired USAF MSgt, Vietnam Vet, 100% Disabled due to a dosing of Agent Orange by our forces during that conflict! So you see, I don't get along and around quite as quick as I use too. Wishing all a great day!!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Mickedamouse, nice post and I think your previous remarks will be forgotten as fast as most people forget who won the last world series. My post however is not to comment on your remarks, but to simply thank you for your service to us and your country! We should never forget to thank people who have served!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.