Building permit approval

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2021, 11:48 AM
Default Building permit approval

Building permit approval

I had a permit from the architectural committee to build a porch on my courtyard villa. It is now complete and I have the permit on my front door. It’s been two days now how long does it take to have the inspector come out to approve the work?
Old 02-25-2021, 01:04 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Have you called them? They should be able to tell you.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowagirl2 View Post
Building permit approval

I had a permit from the architectural committee to build a porch on my courtyard villa. It is now complete and I have the permit on my front door. It’s been two days now how long does it take to have the inspector come out to approve the work?
From our experience with an addition YOU have to call them or how would they know you're ready? We had to have 3 different inspections at various phases then a final.

Edit: You may not even need a visit. Usually that's when you require county permits (electrical, plumbing, framing etc). I always thought ARC approval only OK's the design and it is up to you/your contractor to get any required county permits.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 02-25-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

For whatever it is worth when we had our Florida room done some months ago our contractor contacted Sumter County to arrange inspections.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowagirl2 View Post
Building permit approval

Just a clarification, you get an APPROVAL from ARC, permits are pulled by the contractor(s) and they are responsible for getting all of the inspections, then you should get a set of papers (forms) from the contractor with all of the permits and inspections signed off. If you did not get these IMHO, call the building department and find out what happened. I got caught on this once when a contractor did NOT gets the required permits, found out 18 months later during another project. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:56 PM

With anything needing an inspection such as a new roof or additions it's a good idea not to pay or at least make final payment until after the inspection is complete. Otherwise you loose a lot of leverage on getting corrections if it fails. Had a door to door driveway paver brick cleaner sander re-sealer in the neighborhood. I didn't hire but a neighbor did ( no inspection required). He skipped out with their money after apply 1 coat or re-sealer on an agreed upon 2 coat job. He then had the nerve to come back to me looking to do mine. I told him when he finishes their job come back and talk to me. He nerve finished it and we never say him again.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Are you saying that the deck was built in the 2 days you had approval? You do need to call whoever you need an inspection from.
Closed Thread

Tags
permit, building, approval, committee, approve

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.