Building setbacks in new villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Default Building setbacks in new villages

We are interested in buying a new house in one of the Southern Oaks neighborhoods. We like the abundant trees, separate walking paths, etc. When we drove through the new neighborhoods it appeared that houses are at least 15 feet closer to the street and 5 feet or more closer together. It really detracts from the attractiveness of the homes.

Does anyone know if the required setbacks have been changed?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Based on what you saw, what do you think?
I’ll take a WAG...they have changed.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
We are interested in buying a new house in one of the Southern Oaks neighborhoods. We like the abundant trees, separate walking paths, etc. When we drove through the new neighborhoods it appeared that houses are at least 15 feet closer to the street and 5 feet or more closer together. It really detracts from the attractiveness of the homes.

You are spot on from what I have observed of the so called Southern Oaks area of TV. Less land is better?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Lot depth size was reduced from prior minimum of 100ft. to presently 90ft. Multiply that into the number of units in the Southern Oaks sections, and the conclusion becomes more homes sold per square mile, ie; developer increases profit margin, which they are certainly entitled to. I would also be willing to bet the roadway dimension has been reduced as well, just do not have the data to back it up.

The good news is I can cut my own lawn in 8 minutes !!!!
Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Sage

Less grass to maintain, as long as people are buying them--no problem with resale--if it matters
Old 09-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Like the OP I think it does detract from the overall attractiveness of the area and is immediately noticeable by those of us that live in older parts of TV. However, they are selling like hotcakes and I don't live there so my opinion is just that.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 09-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

How do you find out the lot size when you are looking at resales on the Villages web site?
Old 09-05-2019, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
When we drove through the new neighborhoods it appeared that houses are at least 15 feet closer to the street and 5 feet or more closer together.
We have observed exactly the opposite. Many of the houses in the Southern Area are farther apart than they are in our area of Osceola Hills.

We love to walk through the new areas because, unlike the rest of TV, they have beautiful walking trails that do not allow golf carts.

We have taken long (by our standards) walks through Linden, Monarch Grove, and Marsh Bend and many of the lots look very good. If you do not like a small lot, then buy a large lot. That is what we did.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
How do you find out the lot size when you are looking at resales on the Villages web site?
Just go to the county property appraiser web site (Sumter, Lake, or Marion) and seach the address. You will find all kinds of information, including the lot size in square feet, improvements, taxes, and all prior sale dates and sale prices.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Works perfectly! I just tried my own property. Thank you.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
You are spot on from what I have observed of the so called Southern Oaks area of TV. Less land is better?
Here is what I think. Worth a nickel with change back.

As The Villages expands and negotiates for new land they may be finding it more expensive and they have a target amount probably that they think it is what people expect to pay. They work on margins like any other business so they can charge more and lose potential customers or make the lots smaller and try to keep the amount less.

My guess is as good as the next person.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Veteran member

Homes in Southern Oaks may be closer to the streets, but there definitely are fewer kissing lanais. Much, much more room in back between homes. I like it.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 09-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
Homes in Southern Oaks may be closer to the streets, but there definitely are fewer kissing lanais. Much, much more room in back between homes. I like it.
Correct, there is much more open or green space down here and a ton of man made ponds which give you the feeling of living in the country. In our case, ours and our neighbors golf cart garages are across from each other and that gives the appearance of being close when looking from the front but behind the golf car garages it is pretty wide, I would guess 30 feet between the walls and as far as the driveway I would also guess at least 30 feet, probably more as we have a 25 ft. motorhome and when I bring it in to load up there is still a lot of room in front and behind it. Also, I'm talking about Fenney which is not part of Southern Oaks and they may have different dimensions over there.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:11 PM

Not just Southern Oaks area, but I was told that, at some point, in the newer areas, many of the spec homes are expanded by the developer to make more maximum use of the lot space. My inference from that was that they did not used to do that, rather you'd only get expanded homes if you included that in a custom build or were able to add on after purchasing. It makes the homes appear closer together, well, because they are closer together as a result of maximizing the use of available space. My lot was a bit deeper than standard but my home was a spec home - but it was built with a 4 foot expansion forward in the garage and an expansion out the back in the lanai. I see others that were spec built but same basic floor plan as mine, but they were clearly expanded to the sides because the lot would accommodate it.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:

We noticed the exact same thing in Marsh Bend. After the area was completed we didn’t care for it at all! The driveways are shorter and you definitely can’t appreciate the prettiness of the homes. They appear to be jumping right out at you!! The streets are narrower, too. Glad we saved that $250,000 on the Marsh Bend lot 🤪 All of the new areas/villages will supposedly follow the same
pattern.
Closed Thread

Tags
closer, neighborhoods, feet, setbacks, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.