Building setbacks in new villages

Building setbacks in new villages

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 09-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
You are spot on from what I have observed of the so called Southern Oaks area of TV. Less land is better?
Here is what I think. Worth a nickel with change back.

As The Villages expands and negotiates for new land they may be finding it more expensive and they have a target amount probably that they think it is what people expect to pay. They work on margins like any other business so they can charge more and lose potential customers or make the lots smaller and try to keep the amount less.

My guess is as good as the next person.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Veteran member

Homes in Southern Oaks may be closer to the streets, but there definitely are fewer kissing lanais. Much, much more room in back between homes. I like it.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
Homes in Southern Oaks may be closer to the streets, but there definitely are fewer kissing lanais. Much, much more room in back between homes. I like it.
Correct, there is much more open or green space down here and a ton of man made ponds which give you the feeling of living in the country. In our case, ours and our neighbors golf cart garages are across from each other and that gives the appearance of being close when looking from the front but behind the golf car garages it is pretty wide, I would guess 30 feet between the walls and as far as the driveway I would also guess at least 30 feet, probably more as we have a 25 ft. motorhome and when I bring it in to load up there is still a lot of room in front and behind it. Also, I'm talking about Fenney which is not part of Southern Oaks and they may have different dimensions over there.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:11 PM

Not just Southern Oaks area, but I was told that, at some point, in the newer areas, many of the spec homes are expanded by the developer to make more maximum use of the lot space. My inference from that was that they did not used to do that, rather you'd only get expanded homes if you included that in a custom build or were able to add on after purchasing. It makes the homes appear closer together, well, because they are closer together as a result of maximizing the use of available space. My lot was a bit deeper than standard but my home was a spec home - but it was built with a 4 foot expansion forward in the garage and an expansion out the back in the lanai. I see others that were spec built but same basic floor plan as mine, but they were clearly expanded to the sides because the lot would accommodate it.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
We are interested in buying a new house in one of the Southern Oaks neighborhoods. We like the abundant trees, separate walking paths, etc. When we drove through the new neighborhoods it appeared that houses are at least 15 feet closer to the street and 5 feet or more closer together. It really detracts from the attractiveness of the homes.

Does anyone know if the required setbacks have been changed?
We noticed the exact same thing in Marsh Bend. After the area was completed we didn’t care for it at all! The driveways are shorter and you definitely can’t appreciate the prettiness of the homes. They appear to be jumping right out at you!! The streets are narrower, too. Glad we saved that $250,000 on the Marsh Bend lot 🤪 All of the new areas/villages will supposedly follow the same
pattern.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Gold member

These smaller set backs and shorter driveways remind me of the patio villa neighborhood we owned when we were seasonal residents. We sold the villa and purchased a designer home in Mallory. The designer home neighborhood has a completely different feel because of the speciousness of the front yards and longer driveways.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:17 AM

I drove down and measured the front yard of one of the spec homes. It was 18 feet less than my front yard. Does anyone know what the official required setbacks are in the newer areas?]
Old 09-07-2019, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I drove down and measured the front yard of one of the spec homes. It was 18 feet less than my front yard. Does anyone know what the official required setbacks are in the newer areas?]
Give these folks a call, I bet they have the "official" information.

Building Services | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Old 09-07-2019, 02:46 PM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

I don't understand what the problem is, people are buying these homes as fast as they build them with few exceptions.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I don't understand what the problem is, people are buying these homes as fast as they build them with few exceptions.
Lots of Newbies!! 1st time Villagers. They don’t know any different.

Tags
closer, neighborhoods, feet, setbacks, villages