Burglar Alarm

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2015, 08:56 AM
Default Burglar Alarm

Have searched the Internet searching for different "Video Surveillance" systems including Home Depot, Lowes and ADT and find it very confusing as to which ones to buy, wired or wireless, should I have them installed, what "resolution" camera to use or do it myself installation.

I do not like to pay "monthly" monitoring and would like to have it put on some type DVR recorder and also not sure if hardwired or wireless is the way to go

I know there are many in The Villages that can lead me as to what they consider the best kits and or installers to get and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks again as your help is appreciated
Old 03-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Gold member

A hard wired system would be fairly expensive. There are some good wireless products like Drop Cam or D-Link that will sink with your smartphone or tablet. They are easy to setup.
Another product like Foscam records to an SD card. You might need some help setting it up if you don't know about networks.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Platinum member

If you don't have your system monitored, I'm sorry but I don't understand why not. The whole idea of the monitoring is to alert you if there is a problem when you are not at home. None of us like to have extra bills but it's part of life. No?
Old 03-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,104 Times in 2,233 Posts

There is a difference between a monitored (aka paid central location 24/7/365 monitoring with a monthly cost), and a system that can notify you of a problem (no central monitoring, and typically no monthly cost). In both cases you are notified of a problem, in the first, the police are also typically notified, in the latter, you take on the responsibility of notification. Also, in the latter case, these systems will typically have a list of phone numbers to call if the first one does not answer.

So you can make a decision as to the type of monitoring you want. There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Why would you not want a monitoring system? Unless you are going to never be in a non cell (or wifi or data network) area well, maybe I could understand but I don't know that is how most of us live or exist.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
There is a difference between a monitored (aka paid central location 24/7/365 monitoring with a monthly cost), and a system that can notify you of a problem (no central monitoring, and typically no monthly cost). In both cases you are notified of a problem, in the first, the police are also typically notified, in the latter, you take on the responsibility of notification. Also, in the latter case, these systems will typically have a list of phone numbers to call if the first one does not answer.

So you can make a decision as to the type of monitoring you want. There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for "your" understanding as it seems some people just can't get the logic and you "nailed it" as to what I'm looking for. I have sent a PM to you as to companies and equipment I am interested in and I am sure you might be able to help pick the best kits that might work out best. Thanks again for your message
Old 03-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
A hard wired system would be fairly expensive. There are some good wireless products like Drop Cam or D-Link that will sink with your smartphone or tablet. They are easy to setup.
Another product like Foscam records to an SD card. You might need some help setting it up if you don't know about networks.
Thanks as I have tried the "D Link" and it worked ok but really wasn't happy with it and didn't have DVR but (like you said) worked thru smart phone. Am now more interested in 1080 p resolution and a good DVR with large Hard Drive.

Thanks
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.