Are the burglaries rumor or real?

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Founder
Default Are the burglaries rumor or real?

Several people have posted about bugrlaries recently in The Villages. Does anybody know if that's real or is it urban legend like that "house of ill repute" that was suppose to have been closed by police in Piedmont.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Are the burglaries rumor or real?

I personally called the Sumter County Sheriff's office and confirmed that there were five recent break-ins here in th village of Tall Trees. It is not a rumor and I am most concerned that the Daily Sun has not seen fit to print this story or any story of crime in the Villages. Residents have the right to know what is happening here regardless of whether it is good news or bad.

I also talked to the neighbor of the last victim of the break-ins and she confirmed that the officer doing the investigation indicated that this was the fifth such crime lately in the village of Tall Trees.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Sage

Frangy.... did Sumter Sheriff indicate if multiple problems with burglaries occurred in any other neighborhoods? Daily Sun prints the Sumter Co police blotter, but, never see any mention of incidents in the Villages. Also, Tall Trees borders the commercial area on 466...wonder if that makes it any more vulnerable?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Sage

Alas, just finished the Daily Sun today and indeed there is an article there about 3 burglaries in Tall Trees. So, they are somewhat vindicated about not reporting bad news. Check it out.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Founder

Is it just possible that the discussion here on Talk of The Villages forced the Sun to print the story????????? HMMMMMMMM? 8)
Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM

Jan,

Wouldn't it be wonderful if it turned out that this site had that much clout!!!! ;D

Only problem > If everything in TV became that perfect, what would there be to complain about!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Veteran member

I believe that our discussion on this site made a big difference. I sent the Sun an email last nigt about the break-ins and this morning I got a note back saying that they report all crime and how I should look at today's paper and see the 3 break-ins in Tall Trees. I wrote back and asked why it took them almost a week to print the news and why only 3 break-ins. The response was that they print the news as soon as they know about it!!!!!! Any good reporter checks with the local PD every day to see what is going on so I am not buying their response. They also said the Sheriff's office only mentined 3 but I know there were 5.

I imagine that this site will help us get news printed whether good or bad if we keep on mentioning our concerns!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:09 PM

Am I concerned that the Daily Sun doesn't report all the crime? No. I enjoy reading the "good news". Seems we are continuously bombarded with the "bad" news enough from all other sources.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:57 PM

We live in Tall Trees only heard of three robbery's, not five, thanks for the up to date info. Suggestion, put a lamp on a timer, for night time, and a radio on for during the day, to make it look and sound like someone is home, we always did that when we went on vacations back home. It might help!
Old 07-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Veteran member

[quote=noleguy ]
Am I concerned that the Daily Sun doesn't report all the crime? No. I enjoy reading the "good news". Seems we are continuously bombarded with the "bad" news enough from all other sources.
[/quote

I have to disagree. Would I like to hear only good news? Sure.

However, I believe it is more important to learn of crime(s) being committed in our neighborhoods. Knowledge is power. If we know there are crimes being committed, we can be more cautious and more alert to things happening in the community. That could save you, me, or a neighbor some heartache.

The more informed we are, the better off we are IMHO.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Gold member

nicely said "bestminkey"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.