The burglars

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Founder
Default The burglars

Do you suppose, if you were a burglar, would you find that an upscale city with no police patrols would be a wonderful place to burgle?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Gold member
Default Re: The burglars

Dah!!!!

Burglers paradise,TV
Old 02-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Sage

Last week there was a very unsavory looking character walking around our neighborhood 3 days in a row. He was carrying a plastic grocery bag and obviously did not live in TV. I hope I did the right thing by reporting him to the gate guard.

The guard told me he would call the police to question him. I have not seen him since, and Im feeling much better about that.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Founder

What can we, as concerned and interested citizens, do to protect ourselves?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

Your comments regarding crime in the Villages are timely and relevent. Overall, the Villages have offered a very safe environment for its residents. Recently, some trends, burglary for one, seem to be surfacing sporadically. To be certain, I am not suggesting that it is an epidemic, but, to those who are affected, it can be traumatic.

Several factors that need to be considered include the overlapping of policing responsibilities between three counties. A basis for establishing crime patterns and trends is the accumulation and archiving of criminal activity. I don't know whether that is occurring on regional or jurisdictional basis, or, at all in the Villages. Such documentation, which is fairly easy to program with today's technology, would be a useful tool in identifying crime patterns, projecting crime hazard areas and deploying available resources that reduce the likelihood of crimes being committed.

An oversimplified theory of crime spells out three components that need to exist for crime to occur. They are motivation, opportunity and a belief that it will be successful.

As to motive, more than likely most crimes in the Villages are committed by transients from neighboring areas. The motives and remedies are largely social issues that the average Villager can do little about. The opportunity increases or decreases proportionate to the omnipresence created by conspicuous police patrols, good alarm systems, large dogs and good neighbors. The belief that a crime will be successful speaks to investigative efforts that lead to apprehension and conviction rates.

Are the law enforcement agencies, Sumter County Sheriff, Marion County Sheriff, Lake County Sheriff, and Lady Lake PD accumulating, sharing, analyzing and acting on crime data from the Villages?

Would a special joint Villages Task Force be a more effective approach to patrolling and responding to the crime patterns attributable to the demographics and unique circumstances of our community? Who has the political clout and contacts to bring this to the table?

Most experts in the field of crime prevention are in agreement that the best prevention tool is a good neighbor who will pick up the phone and call the police to report suspicious activity.

Just a few random thoughts on a rare cloudy day in the Villages.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

What is the story on alarm systems in TV?

Can systems be set up to sound an alarm outside the house? Noise can work well.

I think I can answer my own question. -probably not allowed because of an expectation of a lot of false alarms.

cabo35: I read everything you write. Thanks for sharing your insight.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Taltarzac

Good relationships with neighbors seems to be a key to preventing crime. I know I rest a lot easier since we moved from Palm Harbor to TV where our next door neighbor was a rental owned by a criminal defense lawyer. ;D

Creating a neighborhood watch in your neighborhood might be a good idea even if the Villages' deed restrictions might not let you put out a sign saying that this neighborhood has a neighborhood watch.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Veteran member

After a rash of robberies in Tall Trees, the Tall Trees Ladies Club had Sumter County detectives at their meetings two months in a row with information on starting a neighborhood watch that REALLY is a neighborhood watch.

Bottom line, could not get any volunteers to serve as block captains, etc.

Also bottom line, the detective told us we are our best protection against this type incident. He said CALL 911 if you see or hear anything that does not appear normal for your block. For example, if you hear any sounds in the night, call 911 to investigate. If you see a vehicle around for a few hours or several days, and they don't appear to be doing work at a specific home, call 911. Don't call Village Watch. They will simply call 911 as they are not tasked with any "police" responsibility.

Detective also told us we are in much better shape than other neighborhoods in this area but we must always be on the lookout, especially if we know neighbors are only part time residents.

Each of the gates have hidden cameras and if you call 911 and describe what you have seen, they can verify some information via the photos taken at the gates. Don't wait to call. Call when you see what you think is a problem.

The detective said he would rather come and find nothing than not be called and then later find out that something bad happened.

Many of us in Tall Trees also have started a family contact program where we filled out 3/5 cards with numbers to be contacted for family members if anything happens to us. This way, your family is notified if anything happens to you and you are alone.

Just some pointers we learned from Detective Wolfe of Sumter County.

I have personally noticed that at least once or twice month there are reports of break-ins here. This past week it was Belvedere.

Be on the look out folks.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

No one....NObody...should hesitate for one instant to report anybody who looks like they don't belong or what ever it is that bothers one about them. The worst case is it turns out to be a non event. But even worse, the REAL shady characters who do no belong are counting on those who think twice about reporting ANYBODY!

We have those inexpensive, battery powered alarms you can put on each door or window. When they hear it they are gone.

I have those and my good old fashioned military 12 gage....just racking it is usually sufficient for an intruder to leave. We don't have little ones to worry about so we can have a loaded self defense weapon....it is LEGAL....IT IS EFFECTIVE!

If you are not trained in using one don't do it until you do get the proper instruction.

The neighbor net work is also very effective.

A dog is also a meaningful deterrent.

Lock your doors....especially those that are open to your lanai areas.

When in doubt...ask...challenge...call some body.....the perpetrators count on the silent majority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTK :cop:
Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Platinum member

And, if you don't mind, someone please tell me why anyone would have as much as $5,300 in cash and jewelry "lying around" in their home? That amount was mentioned in this morning's Daily Sun and it strikes me as an awfully high risk amount! :dontknow:
SWR
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Eternal Member

Fran, good comments. It seems Tall Trees is trying to be proactive. Great idea having the local constabulary speak at neighborhood meetings. As you've discovered, though, it's often difficult to get folks to follow thru on stuff when they actually have to volunteer. I like your 3x5 card idea. Likely a hassle to organize and maintain, but well worth it. Having a good relationship and an understanding with a few close neighbors is great, almost mandatory, but it's also nice to have a formal structured program.

Also like BK's idea of the 12 gauge. An armed victim can often turn the tables a bit. http://tinyurl.com/269rhe :hot:

SWR, to some folks, $5300 ain't all that much. Just a cheap Rolex and pizza money. :bow:

And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Veteran member

How we manage the 3x5 card program is by street and close relationships. For example, four houses in a row give each other the information and everyone knows that those four houses are taken care of and have contact information.

Not difficult for my neighborhood since we are the courtyard villas within Tall Trees, only four blocks and 68 homes in all.

We also gave each other our "cards" which has our contact information to be kept by the phone for contacting each other if needed. Two of our widows have my card and the promise that my husband and I will be there for them, anytime. Thankfully, this cooperative effort is working for us.

I love Tall Trees and Cherry Vale Villas because we have become like a family.

Once a month as many couples as possible get together to celebrate all the birthdays in that month; once a month, all the ladies as can, get together for breakfast and sharing news, etc.

Working out great!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangyomory
I have personally noticed that at least once or twice month there are reports of break-ins here. This past week it was Belvedere.
Fran, are break-ins posted in the Daily Sun? With addresses? Your post got my attention as I live in Belvedere. I obviously haven't been taking the time to read the Daily Sun every day.

Just glad I have Brutus Bad Dog living with me!!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Veteran member

Finally, after much "coaching"from residents,the Sun does print the stories. The last one in Belvedere resulted in total of $9 or $10k missing jewelry and cash. One the screen door in back was forced open and in the other, a door had been left open by the home owner.

Every window and door i s locked in my courtyard villa every hour of everyday! Rather safe than sorry. A dog is an excellent preventative. Our Babe goes crazy when anyone comes near our home.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Veteran member

I don't think The Villages could be called a "safe place". The gates are a joke and with so many workers walking around anything can happen.

The best thing anyone can do is keep their windows and doors locked and keep an eye out for anything that you feel is not of the norm.

Neighborhood Watch comes down my block but not that often. A visible sign of some protection would deter some of the problems.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.