The burglars

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2008, 01:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: The burglars

Come on people..........Get over the euphoria of retirement. Did you you leave your doors unlocked where you came from??? I don't think so. People do here.. Don't know why. We lived 1/4 mile from nearest neighbor where I came from and didn't leave doors unlocked when away from home. Why do it here? At least make it difficult for a break and enter. Relax and enjoy but.......be cautious not foolish.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Platinum member

I have seen guards wave VISITORS through without even asking who they were. Saw a truck drive over the curb on 441 near Paradise mail boxes right into the village. I did report it and was pretty much told "oh well". I have been to other communities that ask for ID, call the resident and THEN let you in. I even saw a broken gate stay that way for a week. Lock your doors, always, and be a good neighbor. Mine are great. I entered the Shay gate once very late (2AM) because I forgot my pass and he just waved me in!! He didn't have a clue who I was. I also have deadbolts, slider is secured at night,exterior motion lights, cactus under my windows and 2 dogs. I was broken into years ago and am very alert and cautious!! :copON'T MESS WITH ME!!! I may be armed.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:01 AM
Eternal Member

A couple points ---

I'm going to type this real slowly so maybe it will sink in --- The Villages is NOT a gated community in the controlled access sense. Most of the place is in Sumter County. The roads on which you drive and live (except in villas) are county roads. As such, they cannot be blocked off. Everyone has access. Not sure on this, but I believe at least part of the Marion Co portion is controlled. Have no idea about Lake County or Lady Lake.

Point 2: When the punks who killed Diana Miller were arrested, one was asked why they assumed there would be a lot of money in the Miller house. He responded that everybody knew that all the people in TV were rich (and implied that they'd have stacks of money and valuables lying around). As long as we have a society where kids are brought up this way, to believe in the inherent existence of haves and have nots and that it's perfectly logical for the latter to take from the former what they want, we're going to have problems. And though I hope not, I expect more problems as we move closer to Wildwood with Brownwood.

But all that aside, TV is an incredibly safe place compared to other places I've lived. Before moving here, I spent 10+ years in Northern VA. I loved the area except for one detail. Every day --- not once or twice a week --- every damned day there was at least one killing reported in the news. Normally it was in the District or Prince Georges Co, MD, but too often it was on the VA side or Montgomery Co. I'd also spent about 8 years in St. Louis. While not as bad at the time ('76-'84), it is now definitely catching up in the violent crime arena. This was one of the things that drove me to TV. It wasn't fear of being a victim. I was just getting really tired of the bad news. And for those who read the Orlando Slantinel or catch local news, you see that even that city is getting morbid.

As Chuckster and others have said, in so many word, life's a bi :edit: ch. Neverland doesn't exist, and even the Garden of Eden had a snake in it. Live your life to its fullest, but do it sensibly.

And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 AM
Sage

Muncle - Actually i do leave my doors unlocked most of the time. Stupid? Yes but i guess I've just been lucky. After reading this I'll either get a big dog or a good alarm when i move into TV! But it's not going to stop me!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Ok guys, Try this on for size ,,,,
How do these cat burglars know where to find the money and jewelry ????????
It might be an inside job....ever wonder why so many of the break ins are not actually break ins.....It wouldn't surprise me that when your having things done inside your home like ( bugs sprayed for , solar tubes installed , fans installed , rooms painted etc etc...) Maybe someone makes a note of what "they see"and leaves a bathroom window unlocked for one of their "not so honest " friends to come in later and abscond with the loot......
Many of the reports say that no visible signs of breaking in was found....
All I'm trying to say is that next time strangers are in your home , when they leave take a minute to check your door and window locks. And you might want to keep your jewelry in a drawer........
food for thought fumar :cop:
Old 02-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
Muncle - Actually i do leave my doors unlocked most of the time. Stupid? Yes but i guess I've just been lucky. After reading this I'll either get a big dog or a good alarm when i move into TV! But it's not going to stop me!
Actually, me too. :joke: I preach a good story but I never claimed to be too smart myself. Generally, I don't even listen to what I say (to which Chelsea would likely agree). Down here, it just feels so great to leave the sliding door to the lanai open all day. Keeps the house aired out pretty well and dissipates that nasty cigarette smoke.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.