A dreaded "renter" has a question

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Default A dreaded "renter" has a question

My husband and I loved TV on our preview, but we are not an easy sell. We decided it was best to rent for this winter before purchasing. I now have a few questions, especially about insurance. Does anyone know if we have to get any special insurance while renting to cover our belongings or for the golf cart that we will be using?

Does anyone have an special tips for me? I'm not sure where to begin to pack for Jan-March?

I'd appreciate any help I can get!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: A dreaded "renter" has a question

I noticed your post earlier today, and suspect no one's replied because it's difficult to answer.with anything specific. The owner should have included their golf cart on their homeowner's insurance policy. It's also impossible to guess what their ins policy covers. Some policies have limits as low as $5K for contents which doesn't even begin to cover the appliances. Have you considered asking the owner? How long will you be renting? If it's for more than a month, you may wish to shop for renter's insurance, and not worry the owner's coverage. The Villages Insurance Agency is not the only game in town but it's a starting point: 866-556-0706 or 352-751-6622. --George
Old 08-20-2007, 06:17 PM

If you are renting a furnished home for 3 months as most renters for Jan, Feb and March you will not have to obtain renters insurance. The home owner is responsible for everything except usually long distance phone calls. I have relatives that rent for the winter months and they have never had to provide insurance. I'm not sure what they require for the golf cart but I should think everything is included in your rental agreement. Have you asked the homeowner's?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the info, I guess starting with the homeowner should've been my first thought......
Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Sage

Also, don't forget that your current homeowners policy probably provides some coverage for you in your Villages seasonal rental home....for the possessions you take with you....not sure about extension of liability. When I rented last summer, the owner specifically told me the golf cart was uninsured and it was my risk to repair/replace it if anything happened.

As far as packing.... you'll need some warm clothes but not full parkas. The morning and evening can be chilly. Also, bring shorts and bathing suit and other outdoor, warm weather gear....a given day could only reach a high of 55, but within a couple of days you'll see 60s and 70s again.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 AM

It is also possible that your automobile insurance may cover the gold cart. Check with your insurance company.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 AM

Thanks again for all the great info! I love reading TOTV. I find myself addicted to it! I've learned so many things. It reinforces to me that I want to be at TV. My only concern is my children and grandchildren......I'm not sure I can be so far from them. That's why the 3-month trial!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:45 PM

Better safe tahn sorry. we were told when we rented that the owners policy only coverd what THEY Oned not our stuff. We called our insurance compnay and got shrot term renters insurance for hte 3 mnths. We also got liability insrance to cover US in the golf cart as we did not want to have to deal with the owners insurance company if something happened. We were more comfortable with our own. When we called, we found that our auto insurance coverd us in anything we drove so with a small rider, we were also covered in the golf cart on The Villages roads and cart paths.

Gues what I am saying is to check with YOUR insurance as well as the owners. to protect yourself! (We had great owners until the washer broke and WE had to write a check to get it fixed because the owner "didn't have her checkbook, and the guy was in the house fixing it. We still don't have our money back although we were promised a check the next week. We have been in OUR home 7 mnths now...You never know......)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.