Cell Phone Rudeness

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2020, 10:02 AM
Sage
Default Cell Phone Rudeness

Went to a CC restaurant the other day, a person brings her phone over to a friend and then starts playing a loud video to her friend--the Admiral told her, to not play her phone next to her

She complained about us being rude & being from NY

When you're in a restaurant, you're not in the privacy of your home
Old 01-06-2020, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Went to a CC restaurant the other day, a person brings her phone over to a friend and then starts playing a loud video to her friend--the Admiral told her, to not play her phone next to her

It isn't a continual thing here, but I do experience this at least every couple of days.

Thankfully at the store, people either have better manners or aren't tech-savvy enough to deal with the cell phone 24/7 like some folks do.

But up north when I was working front end in retail, people would actually ask ME to hold on a minute while they finished their call. I'd tell them to take all the time they need - at the end of the line.

Folks, check your priorities. Do you need the whopper junior with cheese, or do you need to tell your kids to clean up their rooms before daddy gets home? Pick one, and handle it. Then pick the other.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:

That's true of everyone in the restaurant. Which means sometimes you have to tolerate the actions of others.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
--the Admiral told her, to not play her phone next to her.

It sounds like you and the Admiral caused her more discomfort than she caused you. That means you won the confrontation.

Good for you and the Admiral.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,686 Times in 5,233 Posts

Cell phones are the reason that I never ever go to the movies.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Old 01-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

I’m with the Admiral on this. Lower the volume on your device! Or use ear buds, headphones etc.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

LOT'S of folks like to use the speaker (on highest level of course) on their cell rather than the built in ear piece often because of hearing issues. Sitting at Starbucks yesterday there were like 4 tables doing that. At least you get to hear BOTH sides of the conversation. Quite annoying. I remember when the "walkie-talkie (Nextel)" cell phones were big and before each person talked you'd get a loud BEEEEEP. Thank heaven that died.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
LOT'S of folks like to use the speaker . . . At least you get to hear BOTH sides of the conversation. . . .
That's happened to me and the devil on my shoulder tempted me to join in the conversation -- but I did not. Probably a wise decision but I bet it would really drive home the point that they are publicly broadcasting their conversation.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

So many times I have observed people in restaurants with their nose buried in the cell phone totally ignoring their friend/spouse who wasn't looking at their cell phone. Talk about rude, why did you go out to eat with that person if you spend all your time with your cell phone?

Wife and I were at Cracker Barrel having dinner one night. A passenger bus stopped in the parking lot and about 40 high school age kids came in to eat. I watched 2 boys and 2 girls set at a table and immediately pulled out their phones and started reading whatever completely ignoring each other. When the server came to take their orders they looked up long enough to say what they wanted and then right back to their phones. When their food came they ate with one hand and held their phone with the other. During the whole time they were at the table I don't think they spoke a dozen words to each other. The irony of this, the bus had a banner on the side stating that this was a high school debating team. Can you do text debates?

A good friend of my wife always talked on her cell phone when they went out to eat. Finally my wife politely told her that if her phone was more important than her she wouldn't be going to lunch with her anymore. Her friend decided that her phone wasn't all that important. Its pathetic how a phone rules their lives.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
So many times I have observed people in restaurants with their nose buried in the cell phone totally ignoring their friend/spouse who wasn't looking at their cell phone. Talk about rude, why did you go out to eat with that person if you spend all your time with your cell phone?

Wife and I were at Cracker Barrel having dinner one night. A passenger bus stopped in the parking lot and about 40 high school age kids came in to eat. I watched 2 boys and 2 girls set at a table and immediately pulled out their phones and started reading whatever completely ignoring each other. When the server came to take their orders they looked up long enough to say what they wanted and then right back to their phones. When their food came they ate with one hand and held their phone with the other. During the whole time they were at the table I don't think they spoke a dozen words to each other. The irony of this, the bus had a banner on the side stating that this was a high school debating team. Can you do text debates?

A good friend of my wife always talked on her cell phone when they went out to eat. Finally my wife politely told her that if her phone was more important than her she wouldn't be going to lunch with her anymore. Her friend decided that her phone wasn't all that important. Its pathetic how a phone rules their lives.
...and affects the quality of life of everybody/anybody nearby.

PHONE ZOMBIES!!
Old 01-07-2020, 05:56 AM
Sage

Talking about Zombies, remember when there were weekly serials in your local movie theater--Buck Rogers in the 25th century, with Buster Crabbe, in one episode there were "mind control" helmets, they are here now--but they are hand held
Old 01-07-2020, 07:25 AM
Veteran member
Default Just start your own conversation

Make it about sex . real loud. How good it is as a threesome . embarass the crap out of her .
Old 01-07-2020, 09:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

People are addicted to text and their phone. It is a very real addiction. Watch the next time you are at a traffic light. Light turns red, 10 cars stop, at least eight heads will drop to their phones. And because of it, when the light changes at least a couple will not look up and a huge gap occurs between cars so only 4 get through the light. So six sit there and wait for the next light wasting gas and contributing to CO2 emissions. This country wastes 55 million barrels of fuel a year because of texting at traffic lights.

Than there is the movie and restaurant issues noted above. People are addicted to their phones. How did we survive before cell phones? Remember the 80's? BCP? Before Cell Phones? Some folks had those built into your car, but it was the exception not the rule.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

you must be so proud of the admiral for standing up for you.
Closed Thread

Tags
phone, restaurant, cell, complained, rude

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.