Buyer beware phillips toyota, leesburg, fl

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

As someone who actually has had a lemon law buy back let me answer a few questions: these buy backs are typically settled in arbitration as customer satisfaction cases not as buy backs and will never appear on car title checks as buy backs. Speculating from your keyboards is fine but I lived it, it was PITA to live the process and yes it was a Toyota. It took months with out a car. I still drive a Toyota, reasonable quality, I just got a bad one.

Last edited by Toymeister; 11-15-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
As someone who actually has had a lemon law buy back let me answer a few questions: these buy backs are typically settled in arbitration as customer satisfaction cases not as buy backs and will never appear on car title checks as buy backs. Speculating from your keyboards is fine but I lived it, it was PITA to live the process and yes it was a Toyota. It took months with out a car. I still drive a Toyota, reasonable quality, I just got a bad one.
It sounds like that's EXACTLY what happened to the OP. He had nothing but great experiences with Toyotas, then finally "just got a bad one." The unresponsiveness of Toyota sounds like the real issue though. If they had treated the OP honesty and fairly, this thread with its 4,000+ hits probably wouldn't exist, and the dealership AND the manufacturer wouldn't be negatively affected as they likely will be now. And the thought that Phillips Toyota is turning around and selling this defective vehicle when they could not diagnose and fix the problem, passing it on to another consumer, is despicable.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklesweep View Post
It sounds like that's EXACTLY what happened to the OP. He had nothing but great experiences with Toyotas, then finally "just got a bad one." The unresponsiveness of Toyota sounds like the real issue though. If they had treated the OP honesty and fairly, this thread with its 4,000+ hits probably wouldn't exist, and the dealership AND the manufacturer wouldn't be negatively affected as they likely will be now. And the thought that Phillips Toyota is turning around and selling this defective vehicle when they could not diagnose and fix the problem, passing it on to another consumer, is despicable.
Similar, although I went through a lemon law arbitration program, the result of which was Toyota buying back the car, you sign a statement that it was not a lemon yada, yada and it is hauled off out of state. Not so much as we are sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyGuy View Post
Did you not review the window sticker to validate what was installed?

PS - I only buy cars from US based manufacturers. Love my two Fords and my 67 Chevelle. The Japanese have never built anything that attracted my attention.
Crazy mixed up world. The last “Japanese” car I bought (Toyota) was made in Georgetown, Kentucky. The last “US” car I bought (Dodge) was built in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. Mercedes are a made in Alabama, BMW’s in South Carolina, Hondas in Indiana, Volkswagens in Tennessee, Chevys in Mexico. And the list goes on. I guess my preference to to find a car or truck built in the US by US workers. I am not to particular about the brand.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Crazy mixed up world. The last “Japanese” car I bought (Toyota) was made in Georgetown, Kentucky. The last “US” car I bought (Dodge) was built in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. Mercedes are a made in Alabama, BMW’s in South Carolina, Hondas in Indiana, Volkswagens in Tennessee, Chevys in Mexico. And the list goes on. I guess my preference to to find a car or truck built in the US by US workers. I am not to particular about the brand.

Whatever Consumer Reports recommends, those are our choices. I worked hard for my money, it won’t leave my pocket to buy junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Sage

certain mercedes are made in Alabama,E,S, and Sl's are made in Germany
Old 11-17-2017, 11:39 AM

Interesting. In 2003 I bought a new Chevy truck that from day one had a vibration they could not solve. Every time I took it in I got a free loaner car. I made sure I documented everything, researched NYS's lemon law and filled the requirements to a tee. I called GM and requested a replacement. Ended up driving it 7,000 miles for free and got a replacement without going through the lemon law. The important thing is to satisfy the lemon law requirements so you have the upper hand. In my case it was in the shop off and on for more than 30 days with the same problem.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvillager View Post
Interesting. In 2003 I bought a new Chevy truck that from day one had a vibration they could not solve. Every time I took it in I got a free loaner car. I made sure I documented everything, researched NYS's lemon law and filled the requirements to a tee. I called GM and requested a replacement. Ended up driving it 7,000 miles for free and got a replacement without going through the lemon law. The important thing is to satisfy the lemon law requirements so you have the upper hand. In my case it was in the shop off and on for more than 30 days with the same problem.

You know they didn’t scrap your truck. Someone got stuck.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:23 PM
John41

We bought two trucks, a Sienna and Rav4 from Phillips and were happy with the sales people and service as well. CARFAX will list any issues with a used car.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
We bought two trucks, a Sienna and Rav4 from Phillips and were happy with the sales people and service as well. CARFAX will list any issues with a used car.

Not if the dealer doesn’t report it to CARFAX.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I understand the problem. I just personally prefer that the profits stay in the US. And, I have never experienced the frustration of owning a lemon.

I'm a car guy and know how to get any maintenance and quality problems resolved.

For the foreseeable future, you'll see me in my new Mustang or in my 67 Chevelle SS. I buy to enjoy 'em. My cars are more than simple transportation and always have been.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 11-18-2017, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Every time we took our Dodge pickup to Phillips Dodge in Ocala for an oil change we couldn't get it back without spending over $1,000 plus on issues they found while doing the oil change.

We now use Bryan in Leesburg and can usually get out without their recommended $500 in additional service.

Dealers we use in Colorado and Norcal must be blind because they just do the oil changes and you are on your way.

Just cause they are dealer don't mean the don't try to gouge you, run up the price, or do it right. Most people don't have clue how vehicles system work or know when something not done right, oil changes good example, how many actually follow up and check the level? I think you be surprised how many are over serviced I was.

They have to earn my trust, if I'm to lazy to do it myself, I follow up before I leave then dealership. I have learnt this 30'years ago.

If They change the oil, before I get in the car I check the oil,, most over fill it. I've only had one dealership that I never found nothing wrong after service (flower Honda, Norman OK.) they earned my trust. Also, they was the only dealership that advertised car and actually had that car for the price on there lot. Others, had the excuse we just sold that one and tried the old bait and switch.

Bottom line IMO most people don't know so they run up the price.

I will say this I took my Honda to Ocala for airbags and was surprised they didn't try to gouge me with stuff I didn't need, but I had everything documented and dates when ALL fluids was changed. Which I done myself (Honda cars are very easy to service. I was waiting for the pitch, but it never came. So, I somewhat trust them, but, I would still follow up. Trust, but verified if possible before you leave the dealership. You don't have to be nasty.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:31 PM

Bought a new car from Phippips 10years ago. Have it serviced there on a regular basis. Never had a problem. Seems like a good place to me.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
Bought a new car from Phippips 10years ago. Have it serviced there on a regular basis. Never had a problem. Seems like a good place to me.
According to the OP, he bought two cars from Phillips Toyota and "never had a problem." Ridiculous as it sounds, when there IS a problem, as in the case of the OP, then there REALLY IS a problem! And problems can arise, no matter how rare a defective vehicle turns up. The real issue is how responsibly the management of the dealership handles it, and it sounds like Phillips Toyota really fell down in terms of responsibility to the OP. And just as bad, they are now passing the car with an electrical defect on to yet another buyer!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
You know they didn’t scrap your truck. Someone got stuck.
Ain't that the truth! Whoever buys the OP's 2016 Rav4 from Phillips Toyota is in for a surprise--and a major headache. Unbelievable....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
CARFAX cannot dream up what to put in their used car records. If the dealer doesn't supply it to CARFAX, then it never gets included. Plain and simple. And it sounds like the Service Dept at Phillips Toyota did not give the info to CARFAX about this vehicle, meaning possibly many other vehicles as well....

Last edited by twinklesweep; 11-20-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: formatting mistake
Closed Thread

Tags
car, toyota, phillips, battery, unable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.