Buying a Discounted new house in TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Veteran member

the villages sales people are licensed agents but not Realtors and do not have the same code of ethics. When we bought they would not take an offer less than 95% or an offer with a contingency.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Platinum member

For those who are not aware there is a difference between "Realtor" and real estate broker or salesperson.

A real estate broker or real estate agent is a person who acts as an intermediary between sellers and buyers of real estate/real property and attempts to find sellers who wish to sell and buyers who wish to buy. In the United States, the relationship was originally established by reference to the English common law of agency, with the broker having a fiduciary relationship with his clients. In the United States real estate brokers and their salespersons (commonly called "real estate agents" or, in some states, "brokers")[1] assist sellers in marketing their property and selling it for the highest possible price under the best terms.

Realtor is a frequently used word in many countries to describe any person or company involved in the real estate trade, regardless of their NAR status or American residence. However, in the United States, the National Association of Realtors in 1949 and 1950 obtained registrations for the words "REALTOR"[6] and "REALTORS"[7] as collective trade marks.
In 2003, Jacob Zimmerman, a student who was not a member of NAR, petitioned the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to cancel the trademarks, on the ground that "REALTOR" and "REALTORS" were generic terms rather than a trademark. On March 31, 2004, the USPTO's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board denied the petition
Old 02-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
another thing....and I do consider myself a educated, smart.....???? person.....but back then, even I got caught up in the villages rhetoric......fun fun fun...

so when it came to reading and understanding all the contracts, all I could think of is the golf, the dancing and the clubs......who cared about the contracts......salesman told me all I needed to hear....where do I sign.....hurry already, i cant wait....and I was lost....

but that was my first time....now.....don't rush me.....

This is about how it should of went....

salesman......but I can only hold the house for 3 hours.....

me........i am gonna read everything....

salesman.....just so you know, 3 hours is a short time and others are waiting for this home....

me.....so what..... if I loose it, I loose it

salesman.....but the prices are going up everyday

me....I AM GOING TO READ EVERYTHING.....so slow your role..and stop rushing me....

They told us that, they could hold the house for only three hours, and we didn't believe them. That is how we got some very nice people living next door to us in the house we originally wanted.

It is NOT a sales ploy. AND you certainly don't hear often of any village rep rushing or pressuring anybody. I believe it is corporate policy NOT to push...and that is why I like the sales agents who work for The Villages.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
They told us that, they could hold the house for only three hours, and we didn't believe them. That is how we got some very nice people living next door to us in the house we originally wanted.

It is NOT a sales ploy. AND you certainly don't hear often of any village rep rushing or pressuring anybody. I believe it is corporate policy NOT to push...and that is why I like the sales agents who work for The Villages.
They told us that too. And it was true. Our sales agent showed us on the computer that there was someone behind us in line to snap up our house once the hold was up.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Gold member

i truely believe that if you take the time and read all the contracts, and then loose the house after the 3 hour hold......then it was not meant to be your house after all.....

Don't let them pressure you......and they DO pressure you......

in a perfect world we could look at the contract when/while we start the home search....then we all would be prepared......but I asked and he said no....so what does that tell you....florida realtor board allows the contract to be seen on the web, but the villages has there own contracts.

tell me thats not a pressure play...
Old 02-04-2015, 04:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool New York State Real Estate Law recognized in Florida???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Your statement is untrue. Many states including NewYork protect their residents from the unsavory practices of out of state real estate transactions. New York residents that purchase ANY new real estate whether it be developed or raw land have a seven day right of recision. Florida recognizes this right and requires sellers to abide. How do I know this ? We exercised this right two times before we finally went to contract with the developer on a new house.
Your post is not clear. Exactly what are you talking about when you mention "unsavory practices?" Unsavory meaning illegal? Elaborate, please.

First of all, we aren't speaking about New York; we're talking about Florida. Stay on topic.

Florida recognizes the right of recision of any type of property? Sorry -- not so! If you have backed out of two purchases of a home within the seven day period you mentioned, I assume the form of ownership was a condominium, the sellers were being very nice or a clause was written into the contract.

I have been in real estate 30 years and I don't know of any Florida law that recognizes any of the laws of New York State. I'd have to see that in writing as opposed to your word of mouth.

Last edited by Moderator; 02-05-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Your post is not clear. Exactly what are you talking about when you mention "unsavory practices?" Unsavory meaning illegal? Elaborate, please.

First of all, we aren't speaking about New York; we're talking about Florida. Stay on topic.

Florida recognizes the right of recision of any type of property? Sorry -- not so! If you have backed out of two purchases of a home within the seven day period you mentioned, I assume the form of ownership was a condominium, the sellers were being very nice or a clause was written into the contract.

I have been in real estate 30 years and I don't know of any Florida law that recognizes any of the laws of New York State. I'd have to see that in writing as opposed to your word of mouth.

The right of recision statute given to NY residents goes back to the days when unsavory people in Florida were selling swampland to unsophisticated northerners. Although this business practice may no longer be happening the statue remains in place. We were made aware of this from our Villages REA who actually encouraged us to use it to our benefit twice. We allowed our 7 days to pass on the third contract and went to closing on our designer in The Villlage of Lake Deaton 23 days later.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
The right of recision statute given to NY residents goes back to the days when unsavory people in Florida were selling swampland to unsophisticated northerners. Although this business practice may no longer be happening the statue remains in place. We were made aware of this from our Villages REA who actually encouraged us to use it to our benefit twice. We allowed our 7 days to pass on the third contract and went to closing on our designer in The Villlage of Lake Deaton 23 days later.
New Jersey also allows residents 7 days to back out of a contract with an out-of-state builder without suffering any loss (loss of deposit). The Villages salesperson told us of this right and he actually wrote that date on the top of our contract. As it came to be, we did cancel our first TV contract because there was an issue that was not fully disclosed to us (and was not evident when reading the contract - FEMA flood zone). We went through with the second contract -- happily! My husband and I have bought and sold more than a dozen properties so we are quite comfortable with real estate transactions but this one issue was a no-go for us so we cancelled. I am not sure how many other states have laws that allow their residents to cancel a real estate transaction but I do know NY and NJ give you a week (maybe 3 or 5 days for Ohio, Michigan, but very few others).
Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modigliani View Post
If you are buying a discounted new house in The Villages you need to be very careful when signing documents that you understand and read every word before signing anything; even if it means an hour of quiet time in their office to get through multiple pages of small print. You should also be aware that there is no law in Florida that permits you to withdraw a signed document after a cooling off period.
We have found ourselves in a situation that has not been resolved (and could be resolved without any cost to TV) because we did not read the fine print and weren't properly advised of the financial implications and certain restrictions in the documents.
Read and understand ANYTHING you sign and you won't find yourself in the stressful situation that we now find ourselves in. What should have been a joyful experience has turned out otherwise.
I always ask for every document in advance. Blanks are ok if it is not reasonable to fill. I say if I get any new documents I will read, study and maybe seek a legal opinion so schedule enough time.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Your statement is untrue. Many states including NewYork protect their residents from the unsavory practices of out of state real estate transactions. New York residents that purchase ANY new real estate whether it be developed or raw land have a seven day right of recision. Florida recognizes this right and requires sellers to abide. How do I know this ? We exercised this right two times before we finally went to contract with the developer on a new house.
Quote:

Quote:
First you said that this New York law was a right and in your subsequent post, you said it was a statute (I assume you meant statute, not statue). That being the case, all statutes have a number. What is the number of this statute to which you refer?

I reiterate -- there is no such law, hence, no such statute. Your Villages agent gave you bad information. The only (other) thing it can be is something that is strictly a Villages thing.

Last edited by Moderator; 02-05-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
First you said that this New York law was a right and in your subsequent post, you said it was a statute (I assume you meant statute, not statue). That being the case, all statutes have a number. What is the number of this statute to which you refer?

I reiterate -- there is no such law, hence, no such statute. Your Villages agent gave you bad information. The only (other) thing it can be is something that is strictly a Villages thing.

Admitting that you are incorrect is the first step. Look back a couple of posts to pmbinnj post. He is from New Jersey. They have the same right of recision as do New York residents.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Bonanza -- Below is the language legally required to be inserted into our original contract for purchase of a home in TV. You can assume similar language was in the NY contract. I assure you that some out of state buyers (NY, NJ, Ohio at a minimum) are protected by laws in their home state -- contrary to whatever you incorrectly believe. "Pursuant to New Jersey law, you have the right to cancel your contract or agreement without cause by sending or delivering written notice of cancellation to the developer or his agent by midnight of the seventh (7th) calendar day on which such contract or agreement was executed. All monies paid will be promptly refunded."Feel free to look up statute numbers yourself.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.