Buying experience at DeLuca Toyota

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Default Buying experience at DeLuca Toyota

This story probably happens at most car dealers, however, the deception here was so blantant that I felt the need to warn others.
After shopping around and comparing makes, models and prices, we received a follow-up call from DeLuca toyota and an email with a price
of 32K + tax + tags + $594 dealer prep, for a 2012 Highlander SE i4 6 speed auto trans with msrp of $34,800.

BEWARE: Florida does NOT have the 3 day cooling off period most states have for dealer purchases.

I called back and said I wanted 0% financing and asked how would that affect his price quote, salesman said, yes, there is a 750 cashback on that deal,
but Mr Deluca was not going to lose the deal because of that, so I assumed that was the agreed to price. (Later when we got to the dealer,
salesman also commented several times that sure, why use your own money, use someone else's money, it won't cost you anything.)

To make a long story short, the finance person never explained the contract line by line and I signed it (my mistake).
After a lenghty discussion, he talked me into a pre-paid maintenance deal for $862.
After gettting home and going over line by line, I noticed the sales price was now 32,864 rather than 32K.
When I had signed it, to my confusion, there was the $862 for the maintenace and another $2 charge for something else listed in the details below the sales price,
so, in the rush of things (again that was my fault for letting that "rush" happen...I mistakenly had assumed that this $864 was INCLUDED in the 32864 price.
NOT SO, everthing was ADDED on to that price.

After calling the dealer back, they said they honored the 32K price but the addtl $$$ was the cash back that I lost due to zero financing,
excuse me, no one stated that to me as we proceeded through the process, and, why was it 32864 versus 32750,
which they have not yet explained that to me since I complained.
In short, after a brief discussion with the General Sales Manager and my salesman, they said they would call me back in a few minutes.
That was last Thursday and we have not heard a word from them since.

To close, In writing, I gave the dealer until 2/24 to make good on what I believed was their committment to a 32K price.
They did not respond, so I sent a follow-up email to the dealer stating our relationship is over stating to them that
our new vehicle will never see the site of their service dept as I will go to Phillips Toyota in Leesburg.
I researched BBB, Deluca and Phillips are not BBB accredited (I'm sure most car dealers do not apply for accredation),
however, DeLuca has several complaints registered while Phillips has had NONE.

If anyone else has had unpleasant experiences you should share them with others so they can have a better buying experience.
Take your calulator to every deal, walk away and review for 24hrs, then, if you still are good to go, go back and close deal.

PS: I took off Deluca's license plate holder and removed their label that was adhered to the rear door panel ...
(hair dryer took off, but then had to remove residual glue)
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Sounds like you had an intersting day. You know normally first posts (1-10)that are negative are not considered serious......but in your case dealing with a car dealer I do believe anything can happen. It does sound like you were somewhat at fault for not realizing what you were siging for in term of cost...but after you reaized what happened and brought it to their attention, i am surprized they did not offer you a come back.

I always ask for an "Out the Door Price" and if the final sales invoice is a $1 I start walking.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Veteran member

I've been taken more than once when buying a car. However, my last experience restored my faith. I bought from Jenkins Hyundai in Leesburg and am a "happy camper". No hidden costs or charges I discovered later. Everything was up front and I will return to them. Although, I know exactly what UPSET71 is talking about and I can certainly relate to. Unfortunately, it happens all too often.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Ocala Ford. Do not believe their ads. Pulled every sleazy car salesman trick on me. Even tried to get me to finance my current car at a higher rate than Honda was currently promoting. Made the mistake of trading in two cars on a new one the day after moving in and unpacking while on new meds. When the dust settled a week later I saw that I was taken advantage of in a big way. Their method of trying to make it right after threatening them was to trade in the new car they sold me and buy yet another new car from them taking yet another loss but only way to reduce my car payment. More complicated than I can write here but it was the worst car buying experience of my entire life.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
I've been taken more than once when buying a car. However, my last experience restored my faith. I bought from Jenkins Hyundai in Leesburg and am a "happy camper". No hidden costs or charges I discovered later. Everything was up front and I will return to them. Although, I know exactly what UPSET71 is talking about and I can certainly relate to. Unfortunately, it happens all too often.
I agree with you about Jenkins Hyundai. We bought our new car from them and honestly, it was one of the best auto buying experiences we've had...and we've owned LOTS of cars! It was also one of the quickest settlements from start to leaving with our new car we've had.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 AM

Great advice upset71, but the practices you are describing, about car dealerships, have been around since the beginning of time. I'm sure there are millions of people that have been dooped in some way or another on a car purchase. I just hope this thread does'nt go viral like the Village worker getting perks.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Veteran member
Default USAA Car Buying Service

Just used USAA Car Buying Service to help out Son in College.

If you are a USAA member, go to the website and look up the Car buying service.

You enter your zipcode and the vehicle you are interested in with the options you want and they will provide a guaranteed price listing the dealers in your area that will honor it.

The price was around or below dealer cost and no where near MSRP. I noted many dealers in the Villages area participate.

Give it a look.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Veteran member
Default Sympathize

Boy, haven't we all been taken by a dealer at some point in our lives. It is so embarrassing and so infuriating, because we know better but get taken anyway by expert crooks. They know how to do it. I've smartened up over the years but still have to be so careful because they are so good at it. I feel for you. And I WON'T be shopping at DeLuca for my new Toyota! Thank you for sharing your experience. Much appreciated.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Gold member

Ford Of Ocala,Belleview Branch. Stay away. Bad Bad Bad Ford dealership.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

I'm probably the most anti-auto dealership person on earth. I know their ins and outs and have never been on their side when it comes to business ethics. However, I would have to report here that my wife and I bought a new Toyota RAV4 from DeLuca approx. 1 1/2 years ago and would have to rate our buying experience a 10 on a scale of 1-10. No pressure, no hassles, extremely professional and, yes, we went through the same senario that the OP did. Everything was well explained (we did turn down all of the extra-at cost perks) and we left the dealership amazed at how well the transaction went.
Sorry you had a bad experience but in our case, we must disagree with your viewpoints.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the heads-up. Not shopping for a car now, but would not buy anything but a Toyota when I do, so recommendations for other cars do not interest me. Way too happy with Toyotas purchased in last 30 years.
Will go to Leesburg when need arises.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackz View Post
Just used USAA Car Buying Service to help out Son in College.

If you are a USAA member, go to the website and look up the Car buying service.

You enter your zipcode and the vehicle you are interested in with the options you want and they will provide a guaranteed price listing the dealers in your area that will honor it.

The price was around or below dealer cost and no where near MSRP. I noted many dealers in the Villages area participate.

Give it a look.
....>>>>>>>> Spot On "jackz".......good call. <<<<<<<<<<

...AND...as an added BONUS...........

...you do NOT have to pay for all the "added" dealers' $ STICKER BOOST stuff.
Like the Pinstripe, Paint sealant and hand rubbed dash sealer along with the fabric protector for only $4 Grand.

We used USAA recently....BIG, BIG Price difference.

IN THE PAST.. members were ex-military Commisioned Officers only....
......and their spouses. ( Widows and Widowers also Qualify )

NOW.....membership INCLUDES most ALL with military service and spouses ...........
.....INCLUDING their CHILDREN ( of ANY AGE ) without military service.

...Check it out...potential big savings.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.