At Ease electric bill

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Veteran member
Default At Ease electric bill

Just got our first electric bill after moving in full time. The house, an At Ease, is one year old, has 1481 sq. ft, we keep the temp. at 75f, and we have a refrigerator in the garage. From May 19 thru June 21 (33 days), the bill was $165. Since this is our first "full time" bill, we have no idea if this is high, low, or average. I also realize that it has been extremely hot (at least to us), but other posts I have read seem to say that $130 is average. Anyone with about the same sq. ft. see their bill yet?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Just got our first electric bill after moving in full time. The house, an At Ease, is one year old, has 1481 sq. ft, we keep the temp. at 75f, and we have a refrigerator in the garage. From May 19 thru June 21 (33 days), the bill was $165. Since this is our first "full time" bill, we have no idea if this is high, low, or average. I also realize that it has been extremely hot (at least to us), but other posts I have read seem to say that $130 is average. Anyone with about the same sq. ft. see their bill yet?
$165.00 seems a little high. We have slightly more footage and our bill will top out at $130.00 max. We even have an electric dryer and our AC is nearing ten years old.. 75F is a couple of degrees lower than our setting. Fridge in the garage is convenient but our garages down here get very hot. This means the compressor is working very hard to dissipate the heat generated by the coils.

There is a handy little appliance called Killawatt (sp?). For a few bucks you could get one and plug your fridge in to it to find out how much it is costing. I think they are available at hardware stores. For a preview try this link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882715001. I got mine at Amazon.com.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

You didn't mention if you have electric stove and/or electric water heater, and if you use a lot of hot water, or do a lot of cooking, which will skew the numbers as well. As downeaster said, the fridge in the garage doesn't help things as the garages get very hot.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to rsetterlund Send a message via Skype™ to rsetterlund

75 degrees sound kind of cold to me. We keep our house at 80 and if we get a little warm we just turn on one of the ceiling fans for a little while. The fans use way less electricity than the air conditioner.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
You didn't mention if you have electric stove and/or electric water heater, and if you use a lot of hot water, or do a lot of cooking, which will skew the numbers as well. As downeaster said, the fridge in the garage doesn't help things as the garages get very hot.
Thanks for the response, Taj, and yes, we have an electric stove, electric dryer, and water heater. Like I said, I don't know if this is high or not, but wonder if anyone saw a spike in their usage due to the unusually high heat we've had of late. If it is high, I'll probably move the fridge into the laundry room.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

WE have approx 2400 sf under Heat/AC and keep the AC set at 78 degree. We have a Gas water heater but electic stove and dryer. For 31 days ending 6/9 our bill was $121 for the previous bill ending 5/9 for 31 days it was $122.

Your bill sounds high to me especially considering the difference in SF being cooler....but then 75 sounds cold to me also! A refrig in the garage will cost you electricity in florida ITs HOT in there
Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Default Water heater and dryer

Besides the Ac the dryer and water heater are the major users of your load. Whatevere you do ,,,,,do not be hoodwinked into buying one of those power reduction units that are sold at Marion market .....those are a rip-off...they do not work!!!!! Is real snake oil scam!! Best thing to do is turn down your water heater....u need it just warm enough to shower. The units that are under the sink that you have instant hot water are a great deal. The big issue how long is the payback? Do you plan to be here longer than 3- 5 years? If so then you will have payback.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
We were planning on putting a small freezer in the garage. If we have solar attic fans put in, will that make enough of a difference in the garage temp to be able to have one there?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Freezer

I have aJasmine with a freezer in my garage no problems. Also have 2 solar attic fans. Haven't had any problems yet. Whole house is electric just paid the latest bill was $132. A/C set at 78.If your in buttonwood and this is your 1st bill you may have had some contractors using your electric if you weren't there. They've been known to do that.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Gold member

I used to have a small freezer in my garage here in NC where it also gets pretty hot in the summer. When I finally unplugged it and did a comparison, I found that it was costing me about 40 dollars a month in the summer. If you don't have to use the fridge for a month, try unplugging it and see if it affects your electric bill at all.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Sage

We have ours set at 78 degrees. When we come in from the 95 degree temps it seems very cold in the house. Our bill is around $120/mo.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Sage

Hi Laryb,

Probably the best way to put your electric bill at ease is to pay it.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Laryb,

P - You and gracie need to take your comedy acts on the road as a team. I can see a great future for both of you on the stand-up circuit.............

Bill
Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Laryb,

Just paid it online. Me and my electric bill feel much better now. Thanks Dr. P!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
There is a handy little appliance called Killawatt (sp?). For a few bucks you could get one and plug your fridge in to it to find out how much it is costing. I think they are available at hardware stores. For a preview try this link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882715001. I got mine at Amazon.com.
Thanks for the info. Looked online, found interesting and ordered the device you mentioned, will keep you posted.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.