Kids Driving Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Veteran member
Default Kids Driving Golf Carts

When I was driving home last night on my golf cart along the Buena Vista Trail, I saw a golf cart with 4 young kids in it. The driver was a little girl no more than 10 years old and the other kids in the cart were somewhere around the same age. She was having a great deal of trouble staying on the path. I called to the girl that she was not 14 years old and could not drive the cart yet. I was totally ignored and she sped away - on and off the trail.

If there had been any kind of accident - either to a person or to property - the cart owner's insurance would have been cancelled on the spot and the cart owner liable for a huge lawsuit and damages. That is a good way to lose everything we have worked for so many years.

I knew I could not legally stop this cart with the young kids and call the police or the grandparents. I would have been charged with some criminal activity, I'm sure.

Just up to the grandparents to make sure the kids do not drive the golf carts.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
When I was driving home last night on my golf cart along the Buena Vista Trail, I saw a golf cart with 4 young kids in it. The driver was a little girl no more than 10 years old and the other kids in the cart were somewhere around the same age. She was having a great deal of trouble staying on the path. I called to the girl that she was not 14 years old and could not drive the cart yet. I was totally ignored and she sped away - on and off the trail.

If there had been any kind of accident - either to a person or to property - the cart owner's insurance would have been cancelled on the spot and the cart owner liable for a huge lawsuit and damages. That is a good way to lose everything we have worked for so many years.

I knew I could not legally stop this cart with the young kids and call the police or the grandparents. I would have been charged with some criminal activity, I'm sure.

Don't you just sometimes wonder if grandpa & grandma even have a clue.....what are these people thinking?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post

I've seen this with Grandma or Grandpa sitting next to the child and putting a hand on the wheel when they go by you so their little darling doesn't side swipe you. How will Grandma and Grandpa explain to their family and live with themselves if the unthinkable happens? You'd think they never raised children of their own.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Founder

This is such a frustrating situation. What is a person to do? Nothing I suppose. Even if you followed the kids home and spoke to the grandparents/parents, they would be unreceptive, if not downright rude. After all, they were the ones who let the kids take the cart in the first place (usually).

It makes one wonder about the general sanity of the masses.

As Tbugs said, how will these people ever live with themselves when the unthinkable happens. There was recently an adult killed in a cart and that's bad enough.

Does anybody have any idea what can be done or what one should do when witnessing these travesties.

Not long ago, I saw a young girl operating a golf cart at full speed. There was about a 6 year old on her knees on the passenger side leaning way out of the cart, swatting the road signs with the palm of her hand. The driver was laughing her ass off.

I saw them go into the Calumet pool, so I followed, hoping that the grandmother or mother of these darlings was there. Turns out the driver was the mother.

JLK
Old 06-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Grand Children

Wife & I followed a cart on Buena Vista Trail a while ago. Grandma was driving. two children in the front. Girl on the outside was leaning out of the cart, head completly out trying to grab the bushes as they were passing them. All I could picture was an arm or head coming off. Wake up people.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Maybe if we could take pictures, most cell phones have a camera, and post them on here with comments about what was actually happening it would somehow get back to the cart owner and they could read what others thought. If it helped save the life of one child, it would be well worth the effort. So the next time you see this, try to get a picture.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Veteran member

Was there not an article on the front page of the Local section in the Sun today??? I think maybe Granpa and Granma might just do this to have the kids out of their hair for awhile (after some begging maybe). I think some people just don't have ANY brains!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Maybe if we could take pictures, most cell phones have a camera, and post them on here with comments about what was actually happening it would somehow get back to the cart owner and they could read what others thought. If it helped save the life of one child, it would be well worth the effort. So the next time you see this, try to get a picture.
That's a good idea l2.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Founder

I'm afraid this is one of those issues where even the most responsible grandparents cave in. There seems to be some mystery force that compels people to allow their grand kids to drive these carts.

They think, "it happens to the other people."

I always took our grand kids (who are now driving) to the polo field and let them drive around the track. If we ever saw anybody walking or driving on the track, we would pull over onto the grass until they passed by. Even there, I was a nervous wreck.

But, we've got some great photos of them driving the golf cart. They appeared to be just as happy as those who were driving on the road.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Florida has a bad law of allowing 14 year olds driving a golf cart. These kids do not know the basic driving laws, and they drive on roads such as Morse Blvd with traffic coming in both directions. My grand kids will not drive our cart until they have a drivers license.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco57 View Post
Florida has a bad law of allowing 14 year olds driving a golf cart. These kids do not know the basic driving laws, and they drive on roads such as Morse Blvd with traffic coming in both directions. My grand kids will not drive our cart until they have a drivers license.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Bronco57, you're showing how much you care for your grandchildren by doing this. Thank you.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan
Default Age 14?

Quote:
Somehow I have to believe that this 14yrs old to drive a golf cart was originally set up for golf courses. Can't imagine anyone thinking of a situation like The Villages.

Unfortunately, I am afraid, it is going to be some child fatality to wake up Florida, and bring it to legal driving age.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 AM

Before being allowed to drive a golf cart on any public road, all individuals should be required to attend a Golf Cart Safety class. This should definitely be a requirement for younger drivers; however, based on some of the actions we see from older drivers, maybe we should also be required to attend such a class. Maybe some of the problems such as driving the wrong way in roundabouts could be reduced. I know this will never be a requirement, but I still think it is a good idea.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I'm afraid this is one of those issues where even the most responsible grandparents cave in. There seems to be some mystery force that compels people to allow their grand kids to drive these carts.

They think, "it happens to the other people."

I always took our grand kids (who are now driving) to the polo field and let them drive around the track. If we ever saw anybody walking or driving on the track, we would pull over onto the grass until they passed by. Even there, I was a nervous wreck.

But, we've got some great photos of them driving the golf cart. They appeared to be just as happy as those who were driving on the road.
TH,

That is a great compromise. Kids are drawn to driving things like a moth to a flame. Golf carts - due to their "smaller" size - must seem a bit like the cars they drive at amusement parks.

It is so frightening seeing kids driving these carts - especially after the horrific accident we witnessed a couple of weeks out.

k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.