Buying a home from TV agent, do we get them a gift for their work?

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2023, 11:09 AM
Default The Villages real estate sales are employees

The Villages employes over 400 people as sales agents. I don't know if they are 100% commission on sales or salary plus.

Use your own judgement if you wish to further compensate/thank your sales agent.

Even an outside true real estate broker/agent has never been gifted from us in our many house moves. Yes, we have received a gift FROM the agent......
Old 02-07-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopat View Post
It's our first home purchase in a while, and the first in The Villages. Our agent has been wonderful, do we get them a gift for all their work?
Keep in mind that Village "realtors" are more accurately "sales agents" who have no fiduciary responsibility to you. They are free to represent whichever side of the deal is necessary to close the sale. Twice I overheard my agent urge a prospective buyer of my house to look at slightly less expensive homes in another Village, rather than work to close my sale. I would have fired her if I could. Still want to tip them?
Old 02-07-2023, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
Keep in mind that Village "realtors" are more accurately "sales agents" who have no fiduciary responsibility to you. They are free to represent whichever side of the deal is necessary to close the sale. Twice I overheard my agent urge a prospective buyer of my house to look at slightly less expensive homes in another Village, rather than work to close my sale. I would have fired her if I could. Still want to tip them?
The Villages sales people are licensed real estate agents, and they have a fiduciary responsibility to both the buyer and the seller by Florida law. But, contractually, they represent the seller, not the buyer, for negotiating the sales price and other terms of the sale.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
I agree. I think that a thank you card with a nice hand written note would also be very much appreciated by your agent.
Thanks, yes, that's a great suggestion, that's what we're going to do!
Old 02-07-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Villages sales people are licensed real estate agents, and they have a fiduciary responsibility to both the buyer and the seller by Florida law. But, contractually, they represent the seller, not the buyer, for negotiating the sales price and other terms of the sale.

Respectfully, you are incorrect. I suggest that you read a Villages sales contract.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:11 PM

They got a very nice commission (buy and sell side on new construction) from your purchase. The nicest thing you could do for them is refer them to your friends and family. You can also write a nice note to their manager - must likely a guy named Tim - ask them for his name and send it to the Brownwood Sales office.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Respectfully, you are incorrect. I suggest that you read a Villages sales contract.
Not to beat a dead horse, but an agent cannot have fiduciary responsibilities to BOTH the seller and buyer. This is a blatant conflict of interest. Probably why they are contractually considered "Transaction Agents", where the primary objective is to close the sale. You can contract for sole representation, but it is a different contract that is less frequently used. At least that's how it was three years ago.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
It's our first home purchase and the first in The Villages. Our agent has been wonderful, do we get them a gift for all their work?
When I first started looking at homes in The Villages, the sales agent for The Villages told me that she did not collect commission only a paycheck. That was awhile ago, and things might have changed. If your agent went over and beyond to help you, I would say why not. If you feel really grateful to the agent, that is your decision to make.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

They should buy you a ‘welcome gift’ and I think most do.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:50 PM
Veteran member

Your choice
Old 02-07-2023, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse, but an agent cannot have fiduciary responsibilities to BOTH the seller and buyer. This is a blatant conflict of interest. Probably why they are contractually considered "Transaction Agents", where the primary objective is to close the sale. You can contract for sole representation, but it is a different contract that is less frequently used. At least that's how it was three years ago.
Not true. To be a fidiciary only means that you are required to treat both the buyer and seller in a fair and equitable manner and to be ethical. That is required of all licensed agents by state law, or they can lose their license. But, the agent represents the seller, not the buyer, as their agent in the listing contract, not by state law. Being an agent of the seller is not the same thing as acting in a fiduciary manner towards both buyer and seller. For example, if a buyer asks the agent if the house has a roof leak, the agent must tell the truth as they know it. They cannot lie. But, if the buyer tells the agent that they are willing to pay more than the listed price, the agent has a duty to convey that information to the seller in order to negotiate the best price. The term "transaction agent" typically only come into play after a sales contract has been signed. But, while negotiating a price, the agent represents the seller, not the buyer, because the listing contract has only two parties, the agent and the seller. The buyer is not a party to the listing contract, and does not pay the sales commission. The seller pays the commission, and can sue the agent for improper representation.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:23 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,754 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
It's our first home purchase in a while, and the first in The Villages. Our agent has been wonderful, do we get them a gift for all their work?
Ours gave US a VERY NICE gift for the nice profit she made on the deal. We loved it, and wrote her a very nice personal note.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:25 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I think the commission $$$ is what makes them work hard - not a token gift.

In my limited experience, the agent has little impact on the sale of the house. The driving factors are the house itself and the price.
House/model, price, and possibly location, I agree.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
You don’t think 1.5% of the purchase price is enough?
Of course it is more than enough, but I also think (socially), if you found the person likable, not abrasive or offensive, a nice "thank you, we are enjoying our new home" is a nice (no, it's NOT necessary I agree) touch in a "civilized" society ! A person who does not agree, simple, should not write a "thank you" note !
Old 02-09-2023, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
They already got a gift. 6% of your money.
Original question-no a tip is not necessary. However that 6%, if that is what you agreed to pay, is split several ways.
Closed Thread

Tags
work, gift, agent, home, wonderful

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.