Loss of hearing aids at nursing home

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Platinum member
Default Loss of hearing aids at nursing home

My mother was transferred from the hospital to a skilled nursing facility for short term care in The Villages last evening. I wheeled her to a gathering area after dinner and she had a cup of coffee. We returned to her room and I left at 7 p.m. with her hearing aids in. The box that she stores them in was on her bed table. She has to call for help to leave the bed. This morning when I arrived the hearing aids were missing but the box was on the table. I filed a grievance but indications were that they aren't responsible. Of course I will be actively following up with the personnel. I believe it is more likely negligence than theft. I just ordered new specialty ones at over $4000. Has anyone had a similar experience and what was the outcome?
Old 07-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
My mother was transferred from the hospital to a skilled nursing facility for short term care in The Villages last evening. I wheeled her to a gathering area after dinner and she had a cup of coffee. We returned to her room and I left at 7 p.m. with her hearing aids in. The box that she stores them in was on her bed table. She has to call for help to leave the bed. This morning when I arrived the hearing aids were missing but the box was on the table. I filed a grievance but indications were that they aren't responsible. Of course I will be actively following up with the personnel. I believe it is more likely negligence than theft. I just ordered new specialty ones at over $4000. Has anyone had a similar experience and what was the outcome?
That happened to my friend's mother after she had a stroke and was in rehab. They had to press really hard to get them replaced. Don't give up.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:49 PM

yes, 2 years ago at a facility behind Home Depost (the one off of 441). My father-in-law who had Alzheimer's was put in a "memory care" section of the facility but there was no extra care given in that regard. One evening he had his hearing aids when we visited him and the next day we noticed one was missing. They never found it (checked in laundry, everywhere they said). We filed a claim but in the end we were told "they were not responsible for lost belongings." There is a form that we signed when he was registered at the facility that doesn't make them liable. Again, within a weeks' time his dentures were missing. Thankfully, they were found--not sure where. We couldn't wait until he was physically well enough to get out. I have no idea how that facility gets a "good rating."
Old 07-20-2018, 02:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancingdottie View Post
yes, 2 years ago at a facility behind Home Depost (the one off of 441). My father-in-law who had Alzheimer's was put in a "memory care" section of the facility but there was no extra care given in that regard. One evening he had his hearing aids when we visited him and the next day we noticed one was missing. They never found it (checked in laundry, everywhere they said). We filed a claim but in the end we were told "they were not responsible for lost belongings." There is a form that we signed when he was registered at the facility that doesn't make them liable. Again, within a weeks' time his dentures were missing. Thankfully, they were found--not sure where. We couldn't wait until he was physically well enough to get out. I have no idea how that facility gets a "good rating."
xxxx

Last edited by jojo; 07-20-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Platinum member

Isn't it enough that you worry about your loved one -- the care they are getting, their health, etc. without having to add dentures and hearing aids into the fray. I think it is a shame and the care facilities should come up with some kind of solution since these items are not only necessary for the comfort of the patient but also terribly expensive for the relative who is responsible for the patient.

Tags
aids, hearing, box, bed, table

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.