Buying a house by looking at pictures on computer

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 AM
Veteran member
Default Get a good inspection

Purchase agreements allow for an inspection. Hire a darn good inspector, and if he/she finds a lot of stuff, you have an out. You can specify that all items be repaired to your satisfaction by the seller. The seller will likely just cancel the deal.

I did it once, not in The Villages. It worked out fine, but I knew I was taking a risk.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 AM
Default Agree with looking at more than house

[QUOTE=Chatbrat;1561759]Besides the house you need a look @ the neighborhood and traffic patterns, also how close are the nearest houses: i.e.: kissing lanais--also the demographics IMHO are the further north an older community (people wise) further south younger (people wise

I agree with the statement to also look at the neighborhood and in particular lot lines. Even though I flew down to look at the house we chose, the house directly behind us was being built. The big surprise was after we purchased our house, the one behind us added a pool. Now we have to listen to him blasting his radio and T.V when he is out in the pool or jacuzzi. 😖 We ended up enclosing our lanai to cut down on noise and best part is we now enjoy lanai year round. Making lemonade out of lemons!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Has anyone really bought a house without literally looking at it in person. I see a house that I like, but afraid by the time I get there, it will be gone. My husband does not want to do that as pictures are deceiving. Like the burger that they advertise on TV but do not actually look like that when you buy it.
Speaking of buying a house, I know a couple of people that live out of state & really want to move here, but they're to old to move. What is the cheapest way they can get their belongings here? Like the cheapest moving company to move them, how much does it cost to move say from Ohio or Texas? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:44 AM

I was looking at a house and but a bid on without looking at it but had my brother in law look at it and he liked it. My wife wanted to see it first so we scheduled a trip on a Friday the real Estate agent said we could lose it if we didn't grab it right away and as it turned out we did. I talked to a second agent and she said our real Estate agent could have stipulated in the offer letter that we would go to contract after a visit and that would solve your husbands concerns.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:53 AM

We tried to Friday as we have family who live in TV who checked it out. Unfortunately, someone else gave them a cash offer higher than our cash offer.

If the house meets the approval of my cousin, then we would agree to do so.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:11 AM

Whatever you choose is fine, however, I must agree with your husband. Making a half million dollar purchase plus or minus is not something to take lightly. There are many many things that can attract or annoy you to a certain property. Our realtor Kathy Collins was very patient while we took 6 months and several visits to decide. We don't enjoy moving, and the standing joke of "well you'll likely own 3-5 homes at the villages before leaving earth" is not anything we would subscribe to. After 7 years here we know know too many people who were not happy once moved in. Some have invested hundreds of thousands in landscaping and upgrades only to decide they hate their lot. We can't imagine many of them did not take a loss on the resale especially with commissions and closing costs. As I said, whatever you are comfortable with, however. Ron
Old 07-16-2018, 08:17 AM

My husband picked out the house I currently live in (nearly 4 years) from the Villages internet. It looked like exactly what I was looking for. However, to ensure that the house was as pictured, I sent a trusted friend who already lived in the Villages to confirm what I was looking at and she did. The first time I saw my house "in person" was the day I moved in! No regrets. Love my house!!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Speaking of buying a house, I know a couple of people that live out of state & really want to move here, but they're to old to move. What is the cheapest way they can get their belongings here? Like the cheapest moving company to move them, how much does it cost to move say from Ohio or Texas? Any advice would be appreciated.
They need to call various companies for quotes. Bottom line: how much stuff do they have that needs to be moved? Generally speaking, quotes should be based on volume, weight and distance.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

We did BUT safely...we knew the floor plan through rental experience, it was new construction in a new neighborhood, already knew & trusted the agent, had specified much (exterior color, size of lot, direction of house vis-a-vis the sun). It's been 12 great years.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 AM
Default Get a good realtor

We purchased our Villa after seeing photos;however, the key was having the realtor we contacted (Nancy Schoenacher) go through and FaceTime us. We got to see everything in real time. Bought it immediately.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:40 AM

Bought our house sight inseen, saw pictures on line and got a video from realtor! Planned to view it when we got to TV in 2 weeks. Then it was off the market with a sale pending. I was devistated! Two days later, sale fell through....did not hesitate! You know the rest of the story...no regrets..I was lucky to get a second chance! Go for it!!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 AM

Why not take a flight on an expensive airline, see the home, then offer? So many things could go wrong...your house might be situated so close to others you feel they are seeing your windows. You might be in a far flung neighborhood (i.e. the north) and discover that most clubs are central and south and you do not want that. You might be in a very busy neighborhood and not want that. You might be near sink holes, which can be difficult (not impossible) to find out about online. You might find the closets/kitchen cupboards etc. look adequate in photos but don't seem so big in person. You will lose about 10% of the home price or more if you buy, then make a mistake and sell. Do yourself a favor - invest in a plant ticket or even use freq. flyer miles if you have them, and view the home.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Has anyone really bought a house without literally looking at it in person. I see a house that I like, but afraid by the time I get there, it will be gone. My husband does not want to do that as pictures are deceiving. Like the burger that they advertise on TV but do not actually look like that when you buy it.
We did this last Nov by being specific without realtor (not a Villages salesperson) and trusting her. While here we had viewed a dozen homes with her and she was attentive to our likes and dislikes during those viewings. The unit was subsequently rented unfurnished for 6 months. We just inspected the unit yesterday and it was everything we had specified and everything the realtor had purported. In a nutshell: a good experience.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:14 PM

I bought a house in 2002 from a floor plan. Never got to see a completed model. I was very pleased. I bought my house in TV from an online virtual tour. Again, very happy.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:49 PM

Hello, I am living here in The Villages going on four years. I did research viewing homes on the computer. When the time came my wife came down to meet up with our friend and look at the houses we chose on line. I get a call from my wife telling me they found the one and told me it had a beautiful run in the foyer coming into the house. I told her yes the one with the rug. I was one of the houses we looked at on line and it was the third house her, out friend and her two sisters and our friends sister looked out. What an outing for the sales woman. I hope this makes you feel a little better that you can do some shopping on line and have a few houses use really like and then come and take a look at them. Have yourself a good evening.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, pictures, burger, buy, husband

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.