Buying house out right

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It may also depend on an investment and or tax strategy.
With a 3-4% mortgage interest rate one can have the same money invested and get a higher return and a tax break.
I keep hearing this strategy over and over. Please explain. Doesn't the bank require life insurance on a mortgage ? What would that be for 70 year old with a thirty year mortgage per thousand ? Guess that's why it's called a "mort"gage. Also does not one have to pay points and closing costs plus whatever other gimmicks (variable rates, early payoff penalties, etc.) they have come up with nowadays on a mortgage. So what are the real break even numbers ? Now put on top of that your level of comfort. I'm personally not willing to make an investment that nets 5K-10K over 30 years. Sleep is worth a lot more than that.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Sage

Never had a mortgage- never paid one cent of interest- remember interest keeps poor people poor while it makes rich people richer==if you have to borrow for something--you don't need it
Old 09-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I keep hearing this strategy over and over. Please explain. Doesn't the bank require life insurance on a mortgage ? What would that be for 70 year old with a thirty year mortgage per thousand ? Guess that's why it's called a "mort"gage. Also does not one have to pay points and closing costs plus whatever other gimmicks (variable rates, early payoff penalties, etc.) they have come up with nowadays on a mortgage. So what are the real break even numbers ? Now put on top of that your level of comfort. I'm personally not willing to make an investment that nets 5K-10K over 30 years. Sleep is worth a lot more than that.
I don't know anybody that would.

If one has the equity in the property and the annual income that the bank requires for the principal, age is not a factor.

No life insurance required.....the equity is the banks insurance/assurance.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Mortgages provide financial leverage and can be of value. Also, the tax structure can be beneficial for holding a mortgage. Your binary conclusion doesn't apply to a great many situations. It is not nearly as simple as you present. People need to evaluate their own situation. Advice presented without consideration of the details is worthless. Unfortunately, a significant amount of "advice" on ToTV falls into this category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Never had a mortgage- never paid one cent of interest- remember interest keeps poor people poor while it makes rich people richer==if you have to borrow for something--you don't need it
Old 09-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
... Advice presented without consideration of the details is worthless. Unfortunately, a significant amount of "advice" on ToTV falls into this category.
Free advice is usually worth what you paid for it.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I don't know anybody that would.

If one has the equity in the property and the annual income that the bank requires for the principal, age is not a factor.

No life insurance required.....the equity is the banks insurance/assurance.
Interesting. I did not know this. What is the percentage of equity and income requirements in general for a bank to not require life insurance ? Most people in TV I suspect have Citizen's as an example. The rest of my question still applies - what are the unforeseen costs of a mortgage typically ? However being the real skeptic that I can not seem to loose ever my gut tells me most people in TV with a mortgage simple did not have the money - but would never admit it.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Although I personally agree with you, but our children and grandkids don't necessarily have the option nowadays. On the other hand, they can still make very wise decisions money wise that they have learned from us.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

OPM.. Other People's Money. (The banks money). Our interest rate is 2.25% for mortgage. We definitely make more on our investments than that.

Last edited by asianthree; 09-20-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran member

Haven't had a mortgage since 1991. It's great.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Or, leverage can make you rich.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you take your assets and divide them by the years you think you're going to live and you get to zero --you might be a winner

A prime example --age 70 $6 million --in assets if you think your not going to make it to 90, you can knock you socks off spending $300K a year without earning any income--remember the basic rule man makes plans God laughs

IMHO- enjoy it while you can

Must be nice [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2017, 08:22 PM

I payed cash, b/c I could...Don't like all the financial mumbo gumbo, placing large selling commissions into the hands of the advisors...There is no such thing, as a fiducial responsibility anymore...
Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Sage

It's nice to have homestead and no mortgage, piece of mind is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

It just depends. As long as the interest is deductible in some way and one can make more on one's investments mortgages make sense at today's artificially low rates. Historically I preferred as close to 100% financing as I could get or no loan whatsoever.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default 20% down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Interesting. I did not know this. What is the percentage of equity and income requirements in general for a bank to not require life insurance ? Most people in TV I suspect have Citizen's as an example. The rest of my question still applies - what are the unforeseen costs of a mortgage typically ? However being the real skeptic that I can not seem to loose ever my gut tells me most people in TV with a mortgage simple did not have the money - but would never admit it.
Generally 20% down on a mortgage and you don't need the insurance. In some cases, it can be less. The decision to take a low interest loan and invest is a personal decision and an excellent strategy to build money for retirement. However, as you age, many decide to pay cash and "tidy up their debts" for peace of mind and to take time to enjoy what time they have left.

Tags
buy, homes, people, mortgage, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.