Buying Laundry Appliances

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2015, 06:32 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts
Default Buying Laundry Appliances

We need a new washing machine. Did my investigation and decided to upgrade to front loading machine. Of course that means I need a new dryer to match. Did my research on the web. Picked out units , ordered, and got delivery.

Surprise, my Gardenia style house laundry room would not accept these units as they are too deep (33") and the laundry room door wouldn't close. Considered options and chose to return units. Other options included changing door hinges etc but rejected those.

So find that I am limited to about 29 " deep. Found nice LG Units but top loading. Related depth problem to salesman and he said you might want to check height with top loading washer lid up. Need 56" clearance to cabinets. Checked cabinet and find they are at 54".

Bottom line is for this home design, new technology may not fit and my new tub a washboard are not making anybody happy. My wife won't use them and my hands are getting chapped. Fortunately, the dryer is still working.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

Why dont you just have the other one fixed
Old 02-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Gold member

Needs a new transmission. Obviously , I have other options. Just trying to pass on that new laundry appliances are generally larger and may not fit in or under cabinets or laundry rooms in some Villages homes. Need to check dimensions which I did not do. Stupid me. But I am limited to what I can buy as may be other Villagers.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

We live in a Gardenia, and have LG front load W/D. No issues with closing laundry room doors. Are your machines next to the garage door or the house side, like ours?

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 02-13-2015, 08:11 PM
Platinum member
Arrow

What tpye of top loading washing machine requires a 56" clearance to get the lid up?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

If they have a pedestal, I think most are close to 56".

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 PM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
We need a new washing machine. Did my investigation and decided to upgrade to front loading machine. Of course that means I need a new dryer to match. Did my research on the web. Picked out units , ordered, and got delivery.

Surprise, my Gardenia style house laundry room would not accept these units as they are too deep (33") and the laundry room door wouldn't close. Considered options and chose to return units. Other options included changing door hinges etc but rejected those.

So find that I am limited to about 29 " deep. Found nice LG Units but top loading. Related depth problem to salesman and he said you might want to check height with top loading washer lid up. Need 56" clearance to cabinets. Checked cabinet and find they are at 54".

Bottom line is for this home design, new technology may not fit and my new tub a washboard are not making anybody happy. My wife won't use them and my hands are getting chapped. Fortunately, the dryer is still working.
As you do your shopping, I suggest you view my post regarding our new Samsung washer. It too is a nightmare. I personally would avoid any of the new era energy saving machines that incorporate what is called a water level sensor. This Samsung is our second with the sensor technology and frankly, both were two of our biggest mistakes.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Gold member

For some of the top loading wash machines you need a stool to get the clothes out. I'm over 6' and I can't reach on some machines. You really need to do your homework.

On certain dishwashers the width isn't the standard width. If I remember correctly, they may have been LG.

Xavier
Old 02-14-2015, 07:35 AM
Gold member

My post was an attempt to let potential Laundry appliance buyers know that these appliances have grown in size and our Village homes may have limitations. Never had such a problem with homes in the past as rooms were bigger. Now I know what a designer home is.

I did my original front load shopping on the web without seeing the size of these units even though dimensions are listed. Did not consider the limitations. Ordered, anticipated the new look, received, and then whoops 1/2 " too deep. As I look for alternatives, I am finding that height too is an issue.

My current GE appliances are 27"W 27"Deep 36"High. They fit fine and similar new appliances are available. However, in my laundry room, I am limited to 33" deep by door swing as you enter house side. Also Limited to 54.5" high by Cabinets.
Most Front loaders are about 33" deep and with a need for fittings, hoses etc behind, I exceed my 33" available.
Since Front Load does not fit , looked at top load LG Washer at 28.3" Deep (Yea) , but with top raised I need 56" height clearance and I only have 54".
Old 02-14-2015, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

You me and I can't bring my almost new expensive LG washer and dryer to my new house in TV because the made the laundry room space to small! Now I'm disappointed and astonished.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
You me and I can't bring my almost new expensive LG washer and dryer to my new house in TV because the made the laundry room space to small! Now I'm disappointed and astonished.
Depends on the house. Am told that newer homes may have higher cabinets and you may have more clearance for depth. Others may not have same problem as I.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
I know I replied early but would like to give a little more details to help your decisions.

We live in a 2 yr old Gardenia south of 466A. Our 18 month old LG washer and dryer each measure 29-1/2" from back of machine to front of control knob. They are installed about 2-1/2 inches from back wall to allow room for hose fitting/dryer vent. We still have no problem with house door swing. See attached photos.

Hope that helps. :thumb up:

Don
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6126.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	47653   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6127.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	47654   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6128.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	47655  

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 02-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post

I think your point is to make sure to measure carefully when buying new appliances. Thanks for the heads up. When we get around to ditching our pricey Sears agitatorless washer which doesn't use enough water to clean the clothes, I will be sure to measure carefully in our 2011 Begonia.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam

We have a designer and the house was equipped with GE appliances. The depth of the appliance area will allow 33 inch depth and an 18 inch clearance

we are replacing all of our appliances the kitchen first followed by washer and dryer so thank you for the heads up
Old 02-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Gold member
Default Similar Issue

We have a Camilia (Gardenia floorplan) and our original front loading Washer / Dryer are 12 years old and dying quickly. They were built in with a countertop on top and a 3 1/2" base below. As stated before the new front loaders are higher and deeper. We are fortunate that our machines are next to the interior door, in our case a pocket door. With that said our new Samsung's will come out some 5" more , the 3 1/2" base will be cut out, and the top over the machines will have to be re-made. It should work when delivered soon but no morre room for dancing in the laundry room. Possibly the newer homes are being built to accomodate the larger appliances.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.