Buying Laundry Appliances

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2015, 11:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
I know I replied early but would like to give a little more details to help your decisions.

We live in a 2 yr old Gardenia south of 466A. Our 18 month old LG washer and dryer each measure 29-1/2" from back of machine to front of control knob. They are installed about 2-1/2 inches from back wall to allow room for hose fitting/dryer vent. We still have no problem with house door swing. See attached photos.

Hope that helps. :thumb up:

Don
How are your appliances installed so close to the wall? I was told by Lowes and Home Depot the closest the dryer could be installed to the wall is 5 inches. Any closer and there will be no room for the venting.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
We have a Camilia (Gardenia floorplan) and our original front loading Washer / Dryer are 12 years old and dying quickly. They were built in with a countertop on top and a 3 1/2" base below. As stated before the new front loaders are higher and deeper. We are fortunate that our machines are next to the interior door, in our case a pocket door. With that said our new Samsung's will come out some 5" more , the 3 1/2" base will be cut out, and the top over the machines will have to be re-made. It should work when delivered soon but no morre room for dancing in the laundry room. Possibly the newer homes are being built to accomodate the larger appliances.
The interior door in our laundry room is louvered and I assume that is for air flow. Is your laundry room pocket door a standard door or is it louvered? I would like to replace our louvered door to minimize the noise in the rest of the house when the appliances are in use. Anyone know if this can safely be done?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
How are your appliances installed so close to the wall? I was told by Lowes and Home Depot the closest the dryer could be installed to the wall is 5 inches. Any closer and there will be no room for the venting.
Hi coffeebean,

The dryer vent connection space is recessed into the wall. As a result the connection between the dryer and the outside vent pipe "takes place" primarily inside the interior wall. I can't easily take a picture but if you happen to be looking at new homes you will see how it is currently done.

Here is a Google link that shows pictures of this connection method.

Hope that answers your question. :thumb up:

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
Hi coffeebean,

The dryer vent connection space is recessed into the wall. As a result the connection between the dryer and the outside vent pipe "takes place" primarily inside the interior wall. I can't easily take a picture but if you happen to be looking at new homes you will see how it is currently done.

Here is a Google link that shows pictures of this connection method.

Hope that answers your question. :thumb up:

Don
Thanks so much for the information. Wonder if this can be done to an older home with the old type of venting system.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.